Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recurring villains!

Quote Originally Posted by Nuclear Fridge View Post
    Agreed. The pirates need to be more than just "Arrr, make them walk the airlock!" stereotypes.

...Though if memory serves, in Lonely Among Us, didn't the Antican delegation kill, cook, and eat the Selay ambassador...?
    I don't believe so.

And I'm quite certain that one of the delegates had gone missing (it was never proven that he was served up with soy and barbecue sauces), but it was neither the Ambassador nor did the Anticans cook him.

They prefer their food raw and twitching.
    Last edited by selek; 05-18-2010 at 05:21 PM.

Good thing the Antedeans weren't aboard! It would have been sushi on the menu.

Heck, I haven't seen Lonely Among Us in 20 years. I'm surprised my corroded neural pathways can even dredge up stuff from back then, when I was watching early TNG just so's I could bitch about it being a steaming pile of $%&#...

Wow. Listen, I really appreciate the wealth of advice from everyone. I am taking it all under close consideration.

NOTE: I use a lot of cliche jargon to quickly communicate what's being done here behind the Narrator's screen. But at the table, the terms I use are cleaned up to appear way more professional than it really is.

Being a hack is loads of fun as long as you can make it taste different.

Players: Wow, that was a fun adventure!

My wife: He ripped it off David Gerrold.

Players: Really?

Bob: Heh!

Quote Originally Posted by selek View Post
    What species are they? Are they Orions with a long tradition of preying upon other vessels?
    With the player's approval, I've established them as a human/Orion mashup to justify the PC's nomadic childhood (PG p. 88). This opens up possibilities of conflicts with other pirate syndicates. Maybe an awkward team-up scenario after the villain is super well-established.

Were they somehow forced into this career and decided they liked the 401R and free-wheeling lifestyle?
    More like a long-running family tradition. I'm loosely basing it on the LeBeau Clan Thieves Guild from X-Men.

Jeremiah Peterson (the Starfleet PC), is the son of Marrow Zarboza, the charismatic and ruthless leader of a gang that Starfleet has dubbed "The Coridan Pirates," even though there are actually no Coridans among them at all. They've simply been seen most frequently associated with that particular planet.

This is because I'm deliberately starting small. I normally try not to build anymore than I have to. Most "known" bank robbers initially get their names from the news media and all that. So among themselves, the pirates simply call each other the "Zarbozan Brotherhood." This will kick it off with a, "Is this who we think it is?" element of mystery, which they'll quickly confirm, "Oh snap! These guys are the Coridan Pirates I saw on AMW!"

Young Jeremiah Zarboza couldn't deal with what he saw while growing up, so he changed his name to "Peterson" and joined Starfleet. <- The player is quite aware of the dilemma this would suggest. Therefore, it's also up to the player to choose to make the admission (or not) when his family motor home will be found illegally parked in a nearby star system.

My Starfleet crew is assigned to "routine" cleanup duties that are usually underestimated or get out of hand. My goal with the pirates here is to make them appear as your typical space trash from a Starfleet POV, yet they grow steadily worse, causing Starfleet to gradually take more notice as time goes on. I plan on the captain getting pressured about it from his superiors, "Listen, these pirates are getting to be a real pain in the ass. What are you guys doing out there?"

Do they prey upon any (vulnerable) vessel they come across or do they limit their attacks to certain factions?
    This part has not been fleshed out yet. I made the crew mixed race on a whim, but random decisions like that always end up making the best story explanations later on. Maybe Captain Marrow married into it or something. I love leaving out loose ends to tie up later on when necessary.

Are they in it for the money, or are there other motivations? In Symbiosis, the nefarious Brekkans were keeping the people of Ornara addicted to a narcotic called felicium. Although Picard and company broke the cycle of addiction, the result would have been turmoil in the Delos system. Are the villains (be they either Brekkan or Ornarans) commiting piracy to acquire desperately needed supplies? Are they hijacking shipments to continue their addiction, or looking for food and trade goods to sustain their people?
    Thanks! Nice. See, this ^ is why I wanted to add another form of contraband besides just dilithium. A tie-in like that would make it's own episode right there.

I'm approaching it all as if they were a new business that just made it big, but still decided to stay mom & pop. That way, Lt. Jeremiah Peterson can't always predict what they'll do in a given situation. The "family business" expanded in a few still unknown directions while he was still at the Academy. I don't plan on any ultimate season-finale confrontations for some time.