Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WizKids/NECA Star Trek Clix

WizKids/NECA Star Trek Clix

WizKids/NECA will be making a Trek HeroClix-based game, first release set for X-mas.

See announcement here.
    - Daniel "A revolution without dancing is a revolution not worth having."

I'll have to see the sculpts before I comment, but man...I thought I might have had a chance to be over my plastic crack habit....

Oh, well, at least we might get a chance to finally pit Kirk vs Picard.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Yeah, when Star Wars Minis stopped I was thinking the same thing.

I would bet they would start with a ship game, but who knows. I'd love to have little plastic Trek people in any case Jem'Hadar versus Klingons FTW!

I loved WK's Horrorclix (RIP) and don't mind Heroclix. After seeing this posted around the net this morning I am very intriqued ads to what they come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Sho-sa Kurita View Post
    I would bet they would start with a ship game....
    I don't know that we'd be that lucky.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Scanning the net last night there seems to be much debate over whether the game will be characters (like regular clix) or a ship combat game. Either would be good but I would much rather have characters than ships because it gives an almost unlimited variety for future expansions. A ships game would be limited and knowing how WK tend to do non-unique versions of characters which can all be on the field at the same time (which bugs me in heroclix) I think it wouldn't sell as well. I remember WoTc releasing their Star Wars ship combat game and it was clunky and never got an expansion because so many of the classic ships were in the base set.

Well, the WotC SW Starships game failed mostly for two reasons

1) The rules were indeed clunky. Clunky enough that the line developer actually had a different ruleset that he wanted to release online (if he'd been allowed).
    2) While people were willing to have 'bendy' PVC people minis, using the same material for the ships resulted in a crappy looking product. Not using stiff plastic was dumb. The 'classic' ships argument holds some water, but there could have easily been at least one expansion.

Anyway, that's all too tangential, apologies. I think you're right as far as there being more possiblities with characters, and the more I think about it, the more I'd actually kind of like to see little plastic men. Heck, I still have the FASA ship combat game to play with

My money is on ships rather then people as the hand phaser/disruptor is the great equlizer as far as personel combat goes.
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

Every time a new Star Trek game comes out, I get nostalgic for the old CCG. That one felt pretty wacky, but there was a definite Trek-ness to it.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

There was a post on RPG.net from a developer. Looks like we're getting a character game and a starships game:

http://forum.rpg.net/showpost.php?p=...67&postcount=7

Hey there - Justin from WizKids Games. THere are 2 incarnations of game.

1: A Ship to Ship combat game - Pre-painted plastic minis where 2 players play head to head. It will use the HeroClix combat dial to track HPs, attack, damage, etc. Ship figures will not play with Marvel or DC characters though

2: A co-op euro style strategy game where you will play 1 of the ST crew and work with others to complete missions, just like the movies/TV shows. Again, the HeroClix dial will be used to track stats (skills in the case of the co-op game).

Hope that clarifies things.

BTW - I saw some of the digital sculpts for the ships and they look really good.

Wasn't expecting no. 2. Interesting.

Oddly, I am rather dissapointed by the ideas of game#2. I liked the idea of having a team (ala Heroclix) with kirk, spock and a team of red shirts taking on an opponent's Klingons on a Borg ship map. The ship game could be good though.

I'm glad that they are doing characters, although I don't care about the mechanics of the game as my only interest is to have minis for the RPG. And ships will be nice for the same reason.
    Crimson Hand Gamers...why have your own site when there's Facebook?

Quote Originally Posted by K.G. Carlson View Post
    I'm glad that they are doing characters, although I don't care about the mechanics of the game as my only interest is to have minis for the RPG. And ships will be nice for the same reason.
    Seconded. That is, depending on the detail. . .which is everything. I'll wait & see.
    "These are the voyages of the starship Bretagne. Its standing orders: To maintain off-world peace; to expand science and test out new innovations; to boldly go where all men have gone before."

So far, the detail I've seen in Clix minis beats GX/Citadel all to hell, while none of it comes up to Ral Partha standards. Sounds like a happy medium.