Thread: Thakowsaizmu's CODA stuff

Thakowsaizmu's CODA stuff

Hello! I am a long time lurker (one year today) and first time poster. I have been playing Star Trek on and off for a while, and have finally committed to game idea. But that isn't what brings me to this post at all. No, what brings me to posting (finally) is a want to share some of the things I have come up with for Star Trek. Though all of the fluff is fine for any system, all the mechanics are based on the CODA system, hence me posting in the CODA section.

So, without further ado, here is something to pick at for anyone interested. Feel free to critique and let me know what you think.
    我的氣墊船充滿了鱔魚!

Edosian
    Personality
    Edosians, as a rule, are a peaceful and artistic people. Edosians are almost universally renowned as pacifistic and jovial in nature, and for the most part, this is true. Many more humanoid species tend to regard the Edosians as xenomorphic, though intriguing and enjoyable to be around.

Physiology and Appearance
    Tripodal, Edosians have three legs, three arms, and three fingers on each hand and foot, with orange skin and a bony face. The typical Edosian stands no taller or shorter than the typical Human, though given their strange body proportions, Edosians tend to weigh on average a little more than Humans. Edosians are prone to long lives, even longer than that of the typical Vulcan. Given their long lifespan, it is not uncommon for Edosian parents to have only one child per generation. Though the idea of generation is somewhat different to an Edosian than a human.

Though it is difficult for non-Edosians to tell, Edosians have three genders. One roughly identifies as male, one roughly as female and the third is semi-andorgynous in that it has typical traits of either gender. The third gender is usually refered to as the catalyst gender. The equivalent of the Edosian female lacks pronounced breasts or a noticeable difference in height and weight, making it all the more difficult for non-Edosians to tell the three genders apart. All three genders are required in mating, though there are on average less catalyst gendered Edosians than there are male and female gendered. However, Edosians do not broadcast the fact that they are trial-gendered, leading many non-Edosians to believe that Edosians are in fact asexual. Edosians have a three lobed brain, though often the third lobe is less developed than the other two. However, this gives the Edosians fuller control over their many appendages, and as such, Edosians are multidexterous.

Do to their unique trial-appendaged bodies, the Edosian rib cage is less developed than that of the Human, and as such, Edosian internal organs are less protected. Given the odd shape of the upper body and the thrice-hinged pelvic bone, coupled with the weight of and build of the upper body, the Edosian spine is slightly larger than the average Human, though not quite as well built as it could be. As such, many older Edosians are susceptible to back problemmes.

Homeworld
    Edosians come from the planet Edo III-c, the third moon of the third planet in the system, located in the α-Quadrant. The Edo system lies in the Triangulum constellation, on the rim of the galaxy. It is a jumping-off point for science teams studying the great energy barrier beyond the rim. Edo is a gas giant with swirling bands of blue and purple that dominates the sky of Edo III-c. Edos, as the planet is refered to, is a roughly Earth-sized moon. The planet is almost entirely populated along the equator and the more temperate areas of the planet, as Edosians are not well adapted to extreme weather contitions.

History and Culture
    Edosian history is much different from most other species in the Galaxy. Though peaceful like Vulcans, Edosians do not have a long history of pre-logic war. Though jovial and charismatic like many of the most decorated Star Fleet officers, the Edosians do not decorate their people or classify them in different social strata. Indeed, to many species, Edosian history may seem quite dull. The Edosian people have never made war on themselves. All initial contact with other races off-world have always been peaceful, and the Edosians have never been drawn into a war. Edosians lack the idea of social class or social strata, and this is an obstacle that many young Edosian Starfleet officers must stuggle with. With no military and no idea of kingship or social class, Edosians lack the concept of a superior or inferior in social situations.

Because Edosians have a long life cycle, it is highly unusual for there to be more than one child per generation. As a result, all children are precious, and families are close. Edosians keep Ancestral records in great detail, dating back for centuries upon centuries. Whereas most species study the glorious military histories of their species' past, Edosians take great pride in their ancestral past.

Even though there are no social differences between Edosians regardless of career, gender or family, not all Edosians are born the same. Fully 33.3% of Edosians are Psionic. These Psionic Edosians tend to take greater interest in the religious aspects of Edosian life, though it is not a requirement. And, with regards to religion, the Edosian religion boasts some 3000 deities!

Language and Names
    The Edosian language is a highly complex, tripartite language that makes heavy use of glottal and sibilant sounds. Edosian is known for having fewer vowel sounds than many languages, though by contrast Edosian differentiates between three vowel lengths. Edosian also makes use of a trial number, having singular, trial and plural numbers.

Edosian names are composed of three parts. The first, or given name, is based on one of the many Edosian deities, the second name identifies the gender of the given Edosian, and the third is the clan name.

Given Names: Aned, Arex, Cosa, Jalax, Kilix, Sasax, Silis, Sohlix, Ruas, Zoled
    Gender Names: Na (male), Ta (female), Za (catalyst)
    Clan Names: Ad, Al, Esh, Eth, Ix, Izh, On, Ot

Favoured Professions
    Scientist. Many Edosians are given to persuits in the areas of Science. Given the Edosian lifespan coupled with the encouragement by Edosian parents for their child to persue any curiousity, it is only natural that many Edosian children grow up to be great scientists.

Mystic. With 33.3% of the Edosian race possessing Psionic power, and the whole race possessing a great many deities and holidays, it is only natural that many Edosians become mystics.

Species Abilities
    Species Adjustments: +1 Agility, +1 Presence, -2 Vitality. Edosians are deceptively swift and agile and are prone to a jovial nature. However, their unique physiology and bone structure makes them slightly awkward and more susceptible to damaging major organs.

Multidexterity: The idea of "handedness" is alien to Edosians. All Edosians effectively gain the Ambidexterity edge at rank two.
    Bonus Edge: Inovative: Given the structure of the Edosian brain, Edosians often have a unique way of approaching problemmes.
    Personable: Edosians are naturally personable and sensitive to others. All Edosians gain a +1 racial bonus to Savvy.
    Ancestral Records: All Edosians gain a +1 racial bonus to History (Edosian) and Religion (Edosian) tests.

Encounters
    Edosians hail from the α-Quadrant, though can be found anywhere throughout Federation space and beyond as Scientists, Mystics and Explorers.

Edosian Scientist
    Advancements: 6
    Attributes: Agl 9 Int* 10 Prs 11 Per 8 Str 6 Vit 6
    Reactions: Quick +1, Savv +4, Stam* +1, Will +4
    Defense: 8
    Health: 6
    Courage: 3
    Species Abilities: Multidexterity, Bonus Edge: Inovative, Personable, Ancestral Record
    Skills: Computer use (retrieve) +5, Construct +4, Entertain: Instrument +4, Investigate (research) +2, Knowledge: Culture +5, History (Edosian) +10, Religion (Edosian) +8, Language: Edosian +6, Federation Standard +5, Persuade +5, Physical Science (Physics) +7, Repair +6, Space Science (Astrophysics) +10, Social Science +6, System Operation (Sensors) +6
    Edges: Eidetic Memory, Friendly, Likeable
    Flaws: None
    Professional Abilities: Focus, Mind over Body, Secretive

Additional Sample Characters
    Mystic: Edosian mystics are almost as common a sight as Edosian Scientists. Though the Mystics of the Edosians tend to stay closer to Edosian homeworld and colonies, they are still seen throughout Federation space as advisors and diplomats.

Eras
    ENT: By the time of the first warp-5 Earth vessel, the Edosians had already mapped out their home region, as well as founded several colonies, including Triexia. Deep exploration of the Galactic Rim was already in full swing well before the Enterprise was even on the design table. Edosians had already made contact with the Denobulans, Bynars, and several other α-Quadrant peoples.

TOS: By this time, Edos was already part of the Cultural Exchange, and in a loose alliance with the United Federation of Planets. Several Edosians joined Starfleet as officers, and many Federation scientists joined in expeditions to the Galactic Rim headed up by Edosians.

TNG: Furthering their interest in exploration and scientific breakthrough, as well as cultural exchange, the Edosians are not a common sight throughout the Federation, though they are a welcome one. Many more Edosians have joined Starfleet by this era, though Edos remains independant of Federation politics.

DS9: During the Dominion War, Edosians were unseen. Withdrawing from Federation ships participating in the War, almost all contact with Edos outside the non-military scientific venue was lost. After the war, however, many Edosians were happy to help Federation worlds to rebuild.

VOY: Many Edosian ships have been lost in the Galactic Rim or around black holes or Chaotic space in the name of Science. One or more of these expeditions may have ended up anywhere in the galaxy, with no contact with their homeworld. However, unlike many races, Edosians find this to be intriguing and an excellent way to further scientific studies, and so rarely feel the remorse or longing for their home that other races are prone to in similar circumstances.

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/vie...ter/62675.html
    Image from Memory Beta
    http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__.../b/be/Arex.jpg

All other information is non-canon and from the mind of the author.
    我的氣墊船充滿了鱔魚!

Thanks for that!

Edosians are awesome. The ship's doctor in our campaign is Edosian. This should help.
    "These are the voyages of the starship Bretagne. Its standing orders: To maintain off-world peace; to expand science and test out new innovations; to boldly go where all men have gone before."

Wow, cool. I am glad to hear that someone has use for this, hehe. The Transporter Chief in my campaign is Edosian as well. No one is playing him, but I wanted to make the race anyway. Giving props to TAS, hehe.
    我的氣墊船充滿了鱔魚!

Certainly not my take on the species, but I don't read the novels very much. Yours is probably closer to "canonical" than mine (which will see the light of day one of these days), but I took as just about my only source the entries on Edosians and Arex that were found on startrek.com. I think. I'll have to actually dig that out one of these days and check.

Very nice, though.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Yeah, honestly, I have no idea how they are represented in the novels, nor do I honestly care. I only took the canon info, of which there is next to none, and expanded on it.
    我的氣墊船充滿了鱔魚!

Well, you expanded in a different direction than I did.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Heh, I sure hope so. Otherwise we'd be on the same wavelength. And I am possessive of my wavelength!
    我的氣墊船充滿了鱔魚!