Thread: The Painted Ladies of the Stars

Cool The Painted Ladies of the Stars

Several years ago, someone posted a thread called The Painted Ladies of the Stars: Prostitution in Star Trek, which was compiled into a .Doc file. I saved a copy to disc. I'm now editing it for inclusion on Memory: ICON as a netbook. I'd like to be able to credit the original author. I'm thinking it might have been Evan van Eyck, as the syntax is of a non-native English speaker. I'm illustrating it with screengrabes of "ladies" of dubious honour from all Trek series.

Sounds great.

I dont remember that one...

Would be interested in seeing it when finished.

I am assuming that there are more than a few links into the Orions and Ferengi... And I know I have a Ferengi Host and Dabo Girl template knocking around somewhere that I wrote a few years back too...
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

It's a lot of fun, taking a sort of "rose-coloured glasses" approach to what in the real world can be an ugly side of life. I'm adding notes on the "Venus Drug" right now...

Pretty much done. Just doing some last minute graphics. It'll be up on Memory: ICON soonest...

OK, it's up on Memory: ICON under Netbooks.

Complete with still of Lycia Naff from Total Recall. Enjoy, ya pree-verts!

Sweet, Owen. Thanks for releasing that, it's some good, fun information.

I found it on my HD the other day in an obscure backup directory and decided it looked too good to let lie dormant. If the original author recognises it, please let me know and I'll credit you...

I just did some minor tweaks and uploaded a new copy. If you've already downloaded the older version, you don't need to bother with the new one, I only adde a background image to the pages, but it did increase the size of the file.

Well done, but nope wasn't me.
    We came in peace, for all mankind - Apollo 11

Thanks, Evan. It'll just have to remain a mystery, I guess...

Was just watching DS9, and Painted Ladies is missing one:

Net Girl

Basically, networked virtual prostitution. The women have dataports, and men pay them to have virtual sex. (DS9: A Simple Investigation).

That would be covered by the reference background Netboy/Netgirl in RRR, I would think, although it could be worked up into a full Overlay.

You know, I never really thought of the netboy/netgirl as being prostitutes. I took the description of “virtual prostitutes” to mean they were little better than prostitutes–prostituting their computer skills to Orions.

From the skills/traits the package listed (Data Alteration/Hacking; Logic Edge; and Dataport) I had seen these to be similar to the runners, I believed they were called, from this single RPG Sourcebook I have for a game called Shadowrun. It never occurred to me that they were meant to be actual, well, virtual prostitutes. Odd package of skills for a prostitute, but I guess it’s a requirement of the Syndicate perhaps.

Owen, not one picture of Inara; the hottest companion of any ’verse of all time!?
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

Great one, makes me want to stat up a quark-like Ferengi bartender/pimp and his stable and have a totally goofy & fun game ! Thanks !