Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: J. J. Abrams destroyed the world!

J. J. Abrams destroyed the world!

I was just thinking about ST XI and it's ramifications, and I came to the sudden realisation that the results of this latest Trek movie result in the destruction of the Earth.

Think about it...Vulcan is destroyed.
    T'lar is dead.
    When Kirk finally takes out Khan, and Spock sacrifices himself for the ship, his puts his katra into McCoy.
    But now there is nobody to put it back into Spock.
    So Spock never returns to consciousness or awareness.
    When the cetacean probe "attacks" Earth, there is nobody to figure out it's talking to whales, nobody to do the calculations for time-travel to the right spot.
    So the whales never come back to the future, and the Earth is destroyed by the probe!

Damn J. J. Abrams! Damn his eyes!!

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...

You definitely have too much time on your hands...

Ah, but you forget, this timeline also has

Spock Prime, from the orginal timeline
    , who can inform them of all the major threats that they will face out there.

The only real way that the Trekverse has been altered is now you'll have someone spouting stuff you usually get from comicbook dimention travelers: "They are called the Borg. In my reality, they almost defeated the Federation. Trust me Jim, no amount of force you use against them will be enough to defeat them. But there is another way...."

Ah yes... But you forget that Spock Prime is still around and making his life in the alternate universe.

Therefore Logic dictates that he knows where and when the Enterprise will encounter the USS Botany Bay and he can rig a virus to 'accidentally' launch a torpedo at it while Khan and co are in cryo.

And it makes sense to arrange another saunter back to rescue some Humpback Wales too... Way before the Probe comes in to Earth...

I rather imagine that he would be doing all this while making the relevant calculations to actually put it all right and deal with Nero immediatly upon arrival before his assault on the Kelvin... Thus restoring his reality and future existence.
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Owen's probably the most correct...

But yeah, I guess Spock Prime could fix everything...as long as he stays alive for another 150 years or so, or leaves a lot of Post-It notes around Starfleet Command.

Stuck to the window of Starfleet HQ: "Don't try to reinforce it, it will shatter anyway and you'll get cut!"

Stuck to the Federation President's desk: "Don't promote Cartwright to Admiral!"

Stuck to the C-in-C of Starfleet's door: "Make General Order #2 the following: When you find a DY-100 sleeper ship, do not, under any circumstances, board it or revive the occupants."

Stuck to Kirk's quarters' door: "Use contraception...trust me, it will save a lot of problems later on!"

Okay...yeah...Owen was definitely right.
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

Of course, there is the chance that things are going to happen very differently in the Trek 2 universe: besides all the changes we've already seen , there's no way to know what other changes have been made, or will be made. Perhaps the Bontany Bay was destoyed by Nero in deep space, or it will be found by a Vulcan survey team looking for a new homeworld.

Oh, and it's a retro continuity, so maybe NOTHING we've seen will happen.

Or it will happen differently: NOMAD is a sentient nanite swarm; the Gorn are Raptor men, and Kahn is a woman!

I continue to maintain that, if you want NuTrek to fit canon, it's easiest explained as one campaign in the Temporal Cold War.
    “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.”

-- Great Law of the Iroquois Confederacy

Yeah... I've started bleeding from my ears.

My solution to the question of how the Alternate Universe will develop is simple...

I ignore it!

I didn't like the film, I felt it had many logical flaws and plot holes, there's nothing for me there.

Ergo, ignore.
    "Star Trekkin' across the universe, On the Starship Enterprise, Under Captain Kirk.
    Star Trekkin' across the universe, Boldly going forward 'cause we can't find reverse."
    Star Trekkin' by The Firm.

I was actually kidding around, guys...

Quote Originally Posted by Aldaron View Post
    I was actually kidding around, guys...
    That doesn't mean you're wrong
    Crimson Hand Gamers...why have your own site when there's Facebook?

On a related note...

What will Spock do during pon'farr ? I guess in this universe he was still bethroted to T'whatshername, who probably died on Vulcan. Mind you, there is Uhura around...

(yeah, I'm also kidding around)
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by C5 View Post
    On a related note...

What will Spock do during pon'farr ? I guess in this universe he was still bethroted to T'whatshername, who probably died on Vulcan. Mind you, there is Uhura around...

(yeah, I'm also kidding around)
    I'm thinking Uhura is going to complain mightily when she reaslises the gravity of her situation...

"Every seven freakin' YEARS???!!!???"

As another note, several elders (the one's not crushed to death by falling statues and boulders) also escaped from Vulcan. In the film Spocks dialogue is words to the effect of *I am an endagered species, there are only a few thousand of us left* or there abouts. That implied that several others also escaped the destruction of Vulcan (they did have advanced technology, and transporters before most of the Federation). We also know that they had huge ships (from enterprise), several of which may have been in orbit/near by, which would have detected the anomaly at the same time as the Enterprise did, and begun beaming out survivors. The Vulcans had large embassies off world and we know of several Canon colonies. Any one of those could have housed T'lar, or another vulcan master capable of performing the ceremony (T'lar may have even been one of the Vulcans who escaped with Spock and Sarek).

It's highly improbably that events will unfold like they do in TOS or especially in TNG, other than the Federation still exists and is healthy and powerful. I doubt Spock Prime will interfere, because of the temporal prime directive, but it's hard to say, since the worst damage has already been done Kirk may also have residual memories of some of what's when on before, as he did mind meld with Spock, removing the need for Spock to directly interfere anyway!
    Ta Muchly

My favourite theory about the movie is that Spock did not actually went back in the past, but in an alternate universe's past. This would for instance explain why the Kelvin was so big (and any other discrepancies in technology), and probably why some events won't unfold like they did in the prime universe (pure guesswork from me concerning the next movies).

So... old Spock's knowledge would be almost useless and Kirk could become very confused if he tried to act on what he remembered from the mind meld.
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett