Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Violation of the Prime Directive? You decide!

Oh, and Sigma Iotia II: The Sequel. Since it came up earlier in the thread.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

I seem to remember the Prime Directive being something like this: "As the right of each sentient species to live in accordance with its normal cultural evolution is considered sacred, no Star Fleet personnel may interfere with the healthy development of alien life and culture. Such interference includes the introduction of superior knowledge, strength, or technology to a world whose society is incapable of handling such advantages wisely. Star Fleet personnel may not violate this Prime Directive, even to save their lives and/or their ship unless they are acting to right an earlier violation or an accidental contamination of said culture. This directive takes precedence over any and all other considerations, and carries with it the highest moral obligation."

if taken as the above, there are many instances where the Federation doesn't really enforce this too hard, depending on the politcial or military situation, or if the Federation considers the violation as something that might come back to bite the Federation later (see cross universe PD violations).

General Order One tends to be enforced as the plot demands but the general rule of enforcement seems to be "Don't, but if you must, have a REALLY good reason for doing so."
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Um, isn't 'sacred' a bit of a no-no term? Seeing as how a certain franchise guru went all humanist?

One advantage of running and RPG version of a franchise is that the GM and players decides how theistic, humanist, or other their interpretations their universe is. For mine, I have even created chaplain overlay.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuclear Fridge View Post
    Um, isn't 'sacred' a bit of a no-no term? Seeing as how a certain franchise guru went all humanist?
    It's technically accurate, given Federation attitudes on display in the series. And used itself plenty of times in the series.

And... Roddenberry started humanist; he got fuzzier as he got older.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry