Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help With Starfleet Board Of Inquiry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    I still think a preliminary psychological examination might be in order first. In this particular case, the question of what the officer's motive for disobeying the order is perhaps more salient.
    I agree, TDK, except for one thing- from Starfleet's perspective, it hasn't been established yet that he HAS disobeyed (let alone that he did so deliberately).

Until that comes out, it's still an inquiry into the violation of the Rules of Engagement and whether or not it was deliberate.

They can't start asking WHY he disobeyed an order until they've established that he HAS disobeyed an order.

Once they start pulling on that thread, however, the whole know begins coming loose!

Quote Originally Posted by selek View Post
    I agree, TDK, except for one thing- from Starfleet's perspective, it hasn't been established yet that he HAS disobeyed (let alone that he did so deliberately).

Until that comes out, it's still an inquiry into the violation of the Rules of Engagement and whether or not it was deliberate.

They can't start asking WHY he disobeyed an order until they've established that he HAS disobeyed an order.
    No, but they can ask him how he was feeling that day. I mean, an examination is not a punitive action–but in a universe with telepathy, mind controlling parasites and, well, we've seen our share of starship captains and crewmembers cracking under the pressure of space travel... it would behoove Starfleet to do a quick workup to establish that a Board of Inquiry is the necessary action, not emergency cephalic intervention with a laser scalpel.
    Last edited by The Tatterdemalion King; 08-25-2010 at 10:51 PM.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    –but in a universe with telepathy, mind controlling parasites and, well, we've seen our share of starship captains and crewmembers cracking under the pressure of space travel... it would behoove Starfleet to do a quick workup to establish that a Board of Inquiry is the necessary action, not emergency cephalic intervention with a laser scalpel.
    So a psyche eval to precede the rectal craniotomy?

So a psyche eval to precede the rectal craniotomy?
    Better safe than sorry!
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Unless and until the prosecution can DEMONSTRATE that the officer in question deliberately disregarded his orders, acted recklessly, or engaged in carelessness, they cannot consider that "errant" shot to be anything more than "just one of those things".
    You know I could spend hours refuting every one of your points, but what would be the point? We disagree and I categorically REFUSE to get into an argument over something that doesn't and will never exist!

You seems so determined to prove you are right, but I've got a newsflash for you. I'm right too because this is a bloody game based on science fiction and everybody gets to be right. Your opinions are just that your opinions and are no more valid than mine or those of anyone else. So push in the control rods and climb down off your high horse.

In my campaign, the captain and XO WILL, let me repeat that for you, the captain and XO WILL be found guilty of negligence and have career ending letters of reprimand. They won't be thrown out of Starfleet, but neither will be promoted or hold command again. The tactical officer is going to jail, how long depends on whether or not there were fatalities on the other ship.

I will repeat myself just in case you aren't listening, this is what would happen in my Trek. What happens in yours in none of my business.
    "For to win 100 victories in 100 battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill." Sun Tzu - The Art of War

Okay, kids...can we calm it down just a tad? I like my gaming sites friendly.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13 View Post
    Okay, kids...can we calm it down just a tad? I like my gaming sites friendly.
    But Da-ad! He started it!

----------------------------------------

In all seriousness, I thought I was making a case (pun intended) logically and forcefully, but not with any inherent hostility.

I apologize if any took it otherwise.

That said- I do want to see additional information on the following:

Two US Navy captains were relieved on the spot when their ships collided when both were aboard the flag ship for a meeting with the admiral.
    I was Navy for more years than I care to admit- and this just doesn't ring true.

I very much want to see more data surrounding this incident- beginning with the names of the vessels involved and the dates.

It's not a matter of doubting Pericles word so much as professional curiosity.

Leave the tactical officer alone I say! He's a human being!

Quote Originally Posted by Calastir View Post
    Leave the tactical officer alone I say! He's a human being!
    Is he? Has anyone checked lately?

"Let me tell you about my mother!"