Thread: Daedalus Class Cew Compliment

Daedalus Class Cew Compliment

In the enterpise romulan war books, do they mention they mention her compliment by chance?
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

- Carl Zwanzig

Unfortunately, no "canon" or "book" info is available about the Daedalus class starship. You might want to checkout the "Starfleet Corps of Engineers" or "Vanguard" novels, but I don't think they have any info either. At this point we don't even really know how big they are, though I'd guess smaller than NX is a no brainer.

It might be an idea to contact some of the authors who've used the ship and ask if they have any insight. They are nice people, and will usually help if they can.
    "Star Trekkin' across the universe, On the Starship Enterprise, Under Captain Kirk.
    Star Trekkin' across the universe, Boldly going forward 'cause we can't find reverse."
    Star Trekkin' by The Firm.

I found this with a Google search: http://www.trekmania.net/the_fleet/u...t/daedalus.htm - it gives the crew as 230, which seems high to me, but what the hey!

Zeroarmour

The Daedalus class HAS been given a compliment, 229, in the TNG episode "Power Play". The alien controlled Councillor Troi identifies the USS Essex as Daedalus class, NCC 173, crew of 229.

It's just that what hasn't been established as canon is that the design most fans consider as Daedalus class. You know, the one shown with the spherical primary hull based on an early Matt Jeffries concept for the TOS Enterprise. The models of this shown as set decoration in later TNG or DS9 episodes have never been identified on screen as Daedalus class.
    Check out www.AllScaleTrek.com. A new forum dedicated to Star Trek kits, miniatures and collectables.

There's Klingons on the starboard bow!

Fool me once, shame on you! Fool me TWICE? INCOMING!

I'm aware of "Power Play" but I don't consider the quoted crew compliment a fact (HERESY!), largely because there's no way you could get that many people on something most claim is smaller than the NX class.

Yes, I know the design in question has never been stated on screen as being Daedalus class, but I'd be really surprised if they decided to go with a radically different design at this stage, after years for letting people believe it, and using that design in publication after publication.

My personal choice would be to guess it had a crew of about 40 or 50, depending on how may crew bunks you could fit on it. Thought this would be made easier if we actually had some idea how big it really was.
    "Star Trekkin' across the universe, On the Starship Enterprise, Under Captain Kirk.
    Star Trekkin' across the universe, Boldly going forward 'cause we can't find reverse."

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroArmour View Post
    I'm aware of "Power Play" but I don't consider the quoted crew compliment a fact (HERESY!), largely because there's no way you could get that many people on something most claim is smaller than the NX class.
    So, wait... you'd rather ignore the onscreen statement over a size description that you don't like, is only 'mostly' accepted by unnamed parties?

(Personally, I'm a fan of 180m size).
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    So, wait... you'd rather ignore the onscreen statement over a size description that you don't like, is only 'mostly' accepted by unnamed parties?

(Personally, I'm a fan of 180m size).
    Yes, I'd rather ignore something that doesn't work than try to shoehorn in an explanation to cover it. Enterprise made the Daedalus problematic in many ways, we're told it's the first "Federation" starship, but it's clearly an older design. The simple answer is that it IS an older design, but Earth just began refiting them in the 2160s. We're told it has 230 crew and is under 200m long, the simple answer is that these facts are wrong!

Even at 180 meters you'd be hard pressed get that many people on the ship (BTW link didn't work), I'm more in favour of the 140 meter (15 deck) version. Once you put in all the stuff you need (bridge, sick bay, engineering, etc) just fill everything else up with crew spaces.

Either way you still have to do the deckplans and show how you fit your crew in, just saying you can is kinda lame.

...but it's clearly an older design.
    ...Why?

No, seriously. Bust out everything you can muster on the history of industrial design. C'moooon.

Link here probably works. No cribbing from Schneider, either.

The simple answer is that it IS an older design, but Earth just began refiting them in the 2160s. We're told it has 230 crew and is under 200m long, the simple answer is that these facts are wrong!
    It doesn't look anything like the Valiant, XCV, Warp Delta type 1 or 2. In fact, comparing them all, it looks most like the NX or 1701. Spread-out components in spindly supports, sectioning, just slightly off-balance composition...

I'm more in favour of the 140 meter (15 deck) version. Once you put in all the stuff you need (bridge, sick bay, engineering, etc) just fill everything else up with crew spaces.
    How much does space does a crew shift take up when the other half is in cryosleep?

Either way you still have to do the deckplans and show how you fit your crew in, just saying you can is kinda lame.
    Well, how much square footage would each deck have at 180?
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

...Why?

No, seriously. Bust out everything you can muster on the history of industrial design. C'moooon.
    You really want to come of as a jerk don't you? Well, you've succeeded, I think you're a jerk. And a mean spirited one at that.

The Daedalus seems like a natural projection from the Phoenix, to the NX test flight ships, to the NX (with the refit) and on.

How much does space does a crew shift take up when the other half is in cryosleep?
    You're gonna swap out half your crew into (and out of) cryosleep every 12 hours? I'm pretty sure that's a bad and impracticle idea. Ad to that that 3 watches makes better sense than two.

Well, how much square footage would each deck have at 180?
    Do your own maths.

You really want to come of as a jerk don't you? Well, you've succeeded, I think you're a jerk. And a mean spirited one at that.
    The issue is an intersection of design, aesthetics, perceptions of aesthetics, conceptions of progress, and the artefacts of industry and thus of the contextualizing societies that underlie the conception of progress. Also I draw spaceships. It's an argument that covers such a wide range of my interests that there's no way I wouldn't want to have it. : P

The Daedalus seems like a natural projection from the Phoenix, to the NX test flight ships, to the NX (with the refit) and on.
    Which elements do you perceive as indicating that progression? Which do you see as being elements shared by the Daedalus and precursor designs, as in interim shapes or interim versions on the Daedalus, and following through to which later designs?
    You're gonna swap out half your crew into (and out of) cryosleep every 12 hours? I'm pretty sure that's a bad and impracticle idea. Ad to that that 3 watches makes better sense than two.
    I mean, more, you'd have a deep-space charting shift, a planetside shift, a skeleton crew for mid-voyage doldrums...

Most of the maths starts with drawing blobby shapes and labeling them 'supertech lasertron,' so it's a little suspect from the start.

Even at 180 meters you'd be hard pressed get that many people on the ship
    The Navy does a pretty good job with the Ohio Class- 155 people in a 170 by 13 by 10 meter footprint.

And don't start with me about the technical differences.

The Ohio's are packing in a hell of a lot of redundant equipment- including atmospher and water generation, nuclear propulsion, sensor gear, and weapons- plus all of the Command, Control, and Communications gear necessary to their mission.

With the technical advances (and concurrent miniaturation) assumed by Star Trek, a crew of 230 in a 200m footprint is definately do-able.

Well, if you both think it's doable, then I can't wait to see your deckplans.

I've been working on a set of deckplans for the Daedalus class. See the Utopia Planitia forum for details. The preliminary plans can be found at http://coldnorth.com/owen/game/start...s/daedalus.htm

Can someone come up with a crew breakdown based on the 230 complement?

Owen, I believe someone already asked for such a breakdown; and I belive one was posted here somewhere.

Let me poke around a little and see if I can find it.

Hrm, okay it wasn't a Daedalus but a Miranda. Perhaps a starting point should no one else find the posting I thought existed and we need come up with our own?
    Last edited by redwood973; 09-19-2010 at 04:42 PM.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

Cool. A crew complement of 220 is close enough to 229 to work with.