Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pardition's Flame - USS Potemkin

Turn the ship over to the Starfleet Corps of Engineers!

If Sonya Gomez & company could revive the derelict Defiant enough to get the impulse drive running, how hard can restoring a newer 'hulk' be?

Seriously, though -- I would have the Potemkin reappear after the war, as the basis for a long-range exploration series; a return to the days of TOS, if you will. The ship would be suitable for those 'middle of nowhere' arcs, not for going up against Breen energy-disruption devices or Jem'Hadar attack groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuclear Fridge View Post
    Seriously, though -- I would have the Potemkin reappear after the war, as the basis for a long-range exploration series; a return to the days of TOS, if you will. The ship would be suitable for those 'middle of nowhere' arcs, not for going up against Breen energy-disruption devices or Jem'Hadar attack groups.
    This is a great idea.

Now question is what would they have refitted.

1)Bridge Module

2)I think they would have left the Warp Drive and Impulse alone, but might have upgraded the EPS/Power distribution network.

3)Phasers and trorpedo launchers woukd be fine as well. Just install the new torepedo's.

4)I think they would definately replace the computer system and interface.

5)Install replicator system.

6)Holodeck's would be upgraded (alot of sources say they had holographic technology already)

7)With the much reduced crew size, I think an EMH wouldn't be out of the question.

8)Interiors/quarters upgraded to NG/Enterprise D qualities/sizes as that seemd the standard for most ships.

9)Updated sensor package

10)Replacement of shuttles

11)Upgrade transporters

I think that's about it.

Thoughts?
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

- Carl Zwanzig

Deflector upgrade as well. As has already been stated the design was legendary not just because of the Enterprise. The ship class represented the all the member planets of the Federation combining their individual skills to design a ship which represented their unity. The Potempkin could be used as a light cruiser or diplomatic vessel.
    Tractor beams are not designed for sling shotting Asteroids!! "What other use is there then?" T'Pak klingon/ vulcan hybrids response to fighting in an asteriod field.

Here's an interesting question. There would be two ships with the Potemkin name. The Excelsior class which is still in service, and the now in service refit connie. Would they let them both have the same name or would they give the connie a new name/number?
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

- Carl Zwanzig

I obviously can't speak for Starfleet, but the US Navy does not allow two ships of the same name to be in commission at the same time.
    "For to win 100 victories in 100 battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill." Sun Tzu - The Art of War

It makes sense for them not too. (There are examples of there being doubles mentioned on screen, but that's just bad record keeping I think). And even though the connie is the originator of the name, I would think they'd let the excelsior keep the name as the connie was thought lost.

This is probably inane, but would they let her keep her number with just a name change?

- Carl Zwanzig

Quote Originally Posted by IceGiant View Post
    This is probably inane, but would they let her keep her number with just a name change?
    Since the original was thought lost, Starfleet should consider the name available and it would make sense to assign the name to a ship that was in building. Since NCC numbers are for specific hulls and the since the two ships are in different classes, I don't see why the there would be a problem with keeping the same number.
    "For to win 100 victories in 100 battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill." Sun Tzu - The Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles View Post
    Since the original was thought lost, Starfleet should consider the name available and it would make sense to assign the name to a ship that was in building. Since NCC numbers are for specific hulls and the since the two ships are in different classes, I don't see why the there would be a problem with keeping the same number.
    That makes sense. Because of the background, USS Perdition seems like a fitting name. Or is that too cheesy?

- Carl Zwanzig

Quote Originally Posted by IceGiant View Post
    That makes sense. Because of the background, USS Perdition seems like a fitting name. Or is that too cheesy?
    I think Perdition is a good name.

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles View Post
    I think Perdition is a good name.
    Thank you for all your input Pericles, It's been greatly appreciated!

- Carl Zwanzig

Other things I'm thinking about.

The bridge module. I wonder if they would just replace the interface's at each station instead of pulling the whole module. It would keep a certain nostalgia to the old girl wich might appeal to some. Especially if Scotty got involved with the SCE. I could see them doing the least amount of actual modification with the ship being in good working order.

Crew Size. I'm thinking she could probably be run "properly" by about 200. Seems like a good number without being too small for a ship of decent size. Though with the losses suffered during the war it could be as low as 150 or so.

Shields. I'm not sure about this one. Miranda's went up like popcorn during the war, so I'm not sure if they would upgrade her shields because of this, or go with the thought that it was a war and she wouldn't necessarily be facing the kind of challenges Miranda's did. I could see it both ways.

- Carl Zwanzig

Mirandas were set up as 'clay pigeons', mainly to make the Defiant look cool. In those fleet engagement scenes, they performed the same function as TOS redshirts... which really annoyed me.