Thread: Kaferian Pictures Please?

Kaferian Pictures Please?

So, I've been bouncing around the Kaferian datasheet for the ICON Database for several years. Not for a lack of information about them, but for the lack of any good pictures of insectoids.

Anyone know of any? I'd prefer a screen capture rather than a drawing; so anyone with knowledge of any shows/movies with a good insectoid please point me in the right direction. Doesn't matter if it's B5, And, ST, SW or some B-movie.

(I've considered the helmsbeing from And, but ruled it out as it just looked too fake--I'd rather put out the datasheet with a blank box than use that image.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

There's the insectoid used in Buffy and Babylon 5 (same prop) and, of course, the "mootant" (sic) from Metaluna in This Island Earth

You might also be able to find some images from District 9 worth using.
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

Thanks for the help thus far guys!

The Metaluna has a rather TOS feel to it. Could be a possibiltiy for that fact alone.

Hrm, if only there was a way to combine some of the features of the Buffy/B5 insectoid with some of the features of the Dist. 9 insectoid.

A friend pointed out there was a "mantis-like" creature in the bar of SW ep. III. Most of those background beings were fleshed out at one point or another by someone; anyone know off hand what they are calling it? I'll see what's available on line for images, but to be honest as I recall it was just a mantis head and arms of human size; the odds of such an occurance actually happening in the universe is mighty slim. I'm one of those people offended when writters make the inhabitants of the Dog Star system evolved dogs; I've no problem with a mantis-like being but not an outright rip off of using a mantis.
    Last edited by redwood973; 09-25-2010 at 11:07 AM.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

Last edited by Owen E Oulton; 09-25-2010 at 09:40 PM.

Thanks, Owen.

Too bad they didn't make it a little more alien.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

Brundlefly, maybe?
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

But Brundlefly at what stage of the game?
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

I had to look up what Brundlefly was in reference too, but that could be an option too.

A friend pointed out an insectoid from the expanded Star Wars stuff. Not really humanoid, but could be an interesting alternative.

Hrm, now just need to decide between my six options I've gotten thus far. Hard decision. Better read up on what I have for the Kaferians and see if I have an "a-ha" moment regarding which image to use.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

Quote Originally Posted by redwood973 View Post
    A friend pointed out an insectoid from the expanded Star Wars stuff. Not really humanoid, but could be an interesting alternative.
    Which one?
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    Which one?
    The Vratix.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

I seem to remember a mantis like alien 'gangster'on babylon 5, from like the first and second seasons. If you're going for a more BEM feel, don't forget the Ovions from classic Battlestar. I also seem to remember some races from the Outer limits, but nothing really comes to the for front for insectoid.

Thanks, Tricky. The "mantis gangster" was being referenced in Owen's Buffy/B5 suggestion; but I rather like the Ovions.

I'm really having a hard time selecting one. I had it down to two, but the Ovions Tricky suggested also could be an intersting option.

The Buffy/B5 insectoid would give players a familar form to readily apply to their games.

The Vratix (image posted two posts previos to this) provide both an insectoid and alien form (non-humanoid) for a little dash of flavor. The image is not a screen capture as I wanted, but whatever it is is nice compared to some of the drawings of other Vratix I've found.

And the Ovion insectoid provide a somewhat familiar form (in the head being ant-like) while the body is alen enough to add the dash of flavor (four arms and two legs).

Anyone want to share their thoughts on which image of these three to use?
    Last edited by redwood973; 09-28-2010 at 04:26 PM.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

What about the Wirrn?

I stumbled upon the Wirrn in my origian search; from Dr. Who wasn't it? I passed them over; same reason as passing over the helmsbeing from And., too fake looking.

Good news though, a decision has been made and work is progressing on the Kaferian datasheet and will be the first sheet released once I get all my notes back in order.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood