Thread: do most magicians take Tireless?

do most magicians take Tireless?

As I get my campaign ready I have been digging into the magic rules and was left wondering if every spell caster created for this game took Tireless. It seems like a no-brainer unless I am reading something wrong.
    -Agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

-If you really think that your choice of game makes you better than someone who plays a different game, you are an idiot who has no further right to express an opinion.

As the rules are written, yes, it can be a staple trait for mages. But as you play and tinker, you might adapt the optional rules from Paths of the Wise, or your own. I personally house rule it that Willpower controls magic and weariness.

Magic Willpower: Instead of using the Stamina Reaction when casting spells, Willpower shall be used to achieve the spells TN. Any failure result of the tests will have the same Weariness effect from casting the spell. Multiple spell casts, and spells that are active will incur the penalties to Willpower tests on future castings. The Willpower casting test result will also set the TN for any victim saves (see the next House Rule).

Saving Throws: There are some spells that have listed a Saving Throw that a character may make to avoid the affects of the spell (or at least reduce the affects). For any spell that does not have a Saving Throw listed, the following rule shall be used: The Character may make an Opposed Willpower Test versus a TN set by the casting success of the mage.

Example:

Edrahil casts Evoke Awe
    TN 10 Willpower +3, The Art +2, Strong-willed +2, Resolute +1, Recent casting -3 = +5
    -------------------------
    Action 1- Roll(2d6)+5: 6,6,4,+5 Total:21 EXTRAORDINARY SUCCESS! Granting a doubling of the bonus.
    Last edited by Tomcat; 09-29-2010 at 08:43 PM.

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
    Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦○○] Dmg 9/11 | Edge 8 | Injury 16/18
    Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane, Foe-slaying
    Shadow bane, Skirmisher

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
    We have one Wizard - given a lot of advancements to convert him over from MERP - and he doesn't have Tireless. He tires a lot, if he has to cast a lot of spells.

I just got a PDF of Paths of the Wise, and I'm going to be incorporating most of the rules from that. It is a great book. I wish Decipher could have published a hard copy of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    As the rules are written, yes, it can be a staple trait for mages. But as you play and tinker, you might adapt the optional rules from Paths of the Wise, or your own. I personally house rule it that Willpower controls magic and weariness.

Magic Willpower: Instead of using the Stamina Reaction when casting spells, Willpower shall be used to achieve the spells TN. Any failure result of the tests will have the same Weariness effect from casting the spell. Multiple spell casts, and spells that are active will incur the penalties to Willpower tests on future castings. The Willpower casting test result will also set the TN for any victim saves (see the next House Rule).

Saving Throws: There are some spells that have listed a Saving Throw that a character may make to avoid the affects of the spell (or at least reduce the affects). For any spell that does not have a Saving Throw listed, the following rule shall be used: The Character may make an Opposed Willpower Test versus a TN set by the casting success of the mage.
    I like the look of those changes, I will have to dig into Paths of the Wise, thanks.
    -Agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

-If you really think that your choice of game makes you better than someone who plays a different game, you are an idiot who has no further right to express an opinion.