Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Officers...

Quote Originally Posted by Aldaron View Post
    This thread seems to be edging perilously close to the "Politics" board...
    It started in politics.

EDIT: Any issue relating to either military forces or criminal justice is rooted in the political context of the people involved and the people discussing them. On the internet (and on a board dedicated to RPing a setting derived from a show created to explore social and political issues) it's not going to be long before someone with a wildly divergent opinion, coming from a very different upbringing and offline daily cultural context is going to pop into the discussion.

This thread should've been booted to the subboard from post 1.

EDIT: That said, my difficulty is with the apparent belief that prison, for violent offenders, should be some sort of shiv-filled Thunderdome, wherein any inmate is given license to harm any other.
    Last edited by The Tatterdemalion King; 10-20-2010 at 08:32 PM.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    That said, my difficulty is with the apparent belief that prison, for violent offenders, should be some sort of shiv-filled Thunderdome, wherein any inmate is given license to harm any other.

Actually, I only think there should be open season on pedophiles. There are a couple other things that might rate that status, but pedophiles are definitely open season with no bag limit.
    "For to win 100 victories in 100 battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill." Sun Tzu - The Art of War

I don't think the comment about keeping the thread civil was intended to anyone, but more to remind people that such threads should be present in the dedicated subforum.

As for the death penalty, my main concern with it hangs with the fact that no judiciary system is perfect, and that innocents still happen to be convicted. You can release someone who was wrongly jailed, you can't resurrect him or her.

That being said, this is off topic from the original subject. On this, I am inclined to say that the problem is simply that evil (or stupid, or deranged, YMMV) persons tend to pop up in any population regardless of job, gender, racial archetype or age. That we know of them is simply that the media don't work the same way as before and that it becomes harder to cover up (or simply ignore) some matters.

I apologize in advance if I offended someone, this was not my intent in any way. Blame it on the fact that I'm a bit tired and that at those times my English skills become muddled
    "The main difference between Trekkies and Manchester United fans is that Trekkies never trashed a train carriage. So why are the Trekkies the social outcasts?"
    Terry Pratchett

Cut-

No worries, your English is better than many native speakers...

I fully agree that there are problems with the death penalty and respect why so many nations do not use it. However, sometimes there are criminals so heinous and so completely guilty that they merit the death penalty. John Wayne Gacy, Ted Bundy, and this Russell Williams person all fit both of those criteria. Too bad Williams didn't commit one of his murders in Texas, they know how to deal with murders in Texas.
    "For to win 100 victories in 100 battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill." Sun Tzu - The Art of War

Well, he got two life terms, so I guess we can say goodbye to him and close this thread...