Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Officers...

Officers...

What is it with senior military officers these days? Most of them are courageous, honest, hard-working soldiers serving their countries, yet there are some startling abberations. You guys had one who was a Islamist terrorist, and now we have one who's a serial killer/rapist. What's up?

Blame it on the 24/7 relentless Big Brother media. Not that the actions of those individuals are the fault of the media, but rather that things that used to be kept under wraps are now no longer hidden. I have no personal knowledge of specific cover ups, which would be the point of a cover up, but I'm certain other officers have done equally bad things only the military handled them internally without the prying eye of the media to make them public.
    "For to win 100 victories in 100 battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill." Sun Tzu - The Art of War

Geraldo is Big Brother? MY MIND IS BLOOOOOOOOOO
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

I don't think you can blame the media. Major Hasan's attack was pretty public, and Colonel Russell's rape/murder trial was in a civilian court, where it should have been.

I'm used to military officers embezzling or committing adultery, or even things like Lt. Calley in My Lai, but these were above and beyond the pale, if you catch my drift.

I can see the military keeping some things on the QT, but not this type of thing.

If you can't blame the media, then you can blame political correctness and the Army's desperate need for psychologists. Hassan was a nut job from the beginning, but because all of his peers and superiors were afraid that if they questioned his behavior they would be accused of being 'anti-Muslim' they all ignored his obvious problems. It was known by the FBI that this ma de pigu was sending messages to a known anti-American imam in Yemen and no one acted because they were afraid of offending his religious sensibilities. This is a classic example of Consideration of Others run amok.

Serial killers on the other hand are notoriously difficult to detect by even those closet to them, so I don't really have a reason for Russell.
    "For to win 100 victories in 100 battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill." Sun Tzu - The Art of War

Two startling abberations taken from two countries does not in my mind create a trend... Although I do get what you are saying...

Perhaps its just a sample of relatively abnormal behaviour in people which as has been noted may in ages past either been kept quiet by the 'officers club'. I have no doubt it happens elsewhere and through history too, but dont think its the job perverting the people, just the nasty people finding a place that they can exert their influence (to put it far too simply)

Combined with a high level media spotlight... The 24/7 news cycle IS partially to blame for sure, not in breaking the news but once it is broken its recycled endlessly to fill airtime and as such events are exaggerated out of all proportion (IMO)...

Mind you, theres a trek/Starfleet officer discussion to be had here too.
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Hasan should have been put up on charges of conduct unbecoming based on his webpages, and based on his communications with the Imam on charges of giving aid and comfort to the enemy in time of war. Both could have been done quite legitimately without making a big deal of it. Next stop, Guantanamo or Leavenworth.

Russell was actually caught by real police work. He got stopped by a police roadblock testing cars for tireprints matching those at his last murder. The guy was a sick puppy. He's what they call an extremely organised high-functioning personality. This worked against him when they searched his house, because he obsessively documented everything. He was a wealthy, highly trained officer who was being groomed for general's leaves (we don't use stars).

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton View Post
    Hasan should have been put up on charges of conduct unbecoming based on his webpages, and based on his communications with the Imam on charges of giving aid and comfort to the enemy in time of war. Both could have been done quite legitimately without making a big deal of it. Next stop, Guantanamo or Leavenworth.
    I completely agree.

Russell was actually caught by real police work. He got stopped by a police roadblock testing cars for tireprints matching those at his last murder. The guy was a sick puppy. He's what they call an extremely organised high-functioning personality. This worked against him when they searched his house, because he obsessively documented everything. He was a wealthy, highly trained officer who was being groomed for general's leaves (we don't use stars).
    Not that there is anything redeemable about this guy, but at least he owned up to his behavior and plead guilty.

Well, that saved the victims and families a long, drawn-out trial. He's going to prison for life with no possibility of parole for 25 years. That'll make him almost 75, if he lives that long. On the other tentacle, rapists and kiddy diddlers don't generally have long lives.

He's going to prison for life with no possibility of parole for 25 years.
    You know I get that Canada doesn't have a death penalty, most countries don't and I'm cool with that, but you don't even have life without possibility of parole? That seems a little weak for a maximum sentence.

On the other tentacle, rapists and kiddy diddlers don't generally have long lives.
    You could have a back door death penalty if the authorities would just toss him in general population, because you are right 'short-eyes' don't last long.

So it's okay to use other convicts as executioners?
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    So it's okay to use other convicts as executioners?
    Seeing as how I don't have a problem with imposing the death penalty in the first place, sure. Save the taxpayers some money rather than support this waste of skin for at least 25 years, if not longer.

This thread seems to be edging perilously close to the "Politics" board...
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...

Quote Originally Posted by Aldaron View Post
    This thread seems to be edging perilously close to the "Politics" board...
    Yes. It is.

Keep it civil guys.
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

If the 'keep it civil' is directed at me, my answer to TK's question is extremely civil. I understand that most of the world rejects the death penalty and I respect those country's and people's opinion. All I ask is the same.