Thread: Toughness vs. Natural Armor (+1 to +3)

Toughness vs. Natural Armor (+1 to +3)

Anyone care to share their thoughts and opinions on a house rule of Natural Armor which would provide two points of armor at +1, four points of armor at +2 or six points at +3 vs. the already existing Toughness +2 which provides an additional +1 Fitness when figuring Resistance (the DS9 Corebook says +2 Fitness when figuring Resistance).

I'm having a little problem deciding which would be the best way to go and could use a little input if anyone would care to share.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

I like your use of Natural Armor. I have been working with the racial advantages and disadvantages for species creation. I have been applying some of the rules from the Android creation doc and applying them to species creation where it fits, but I don't have a plan for every possibility.

Thanks, but the idea wasn't mine. I don't know where it origianlly came from, I only scribbled it down in the side of a notebook a few years back and never did anything with it until now. It was a toss up as some speices I see having more than just what would typically be provided by the standard +1 Fitness but as it was for my Species Database I took some advice someone offered when I first started the Database. . .only use what's in the books and avoid fanmade material as not everyone uses or familiar with it, unless I have the room in the write up to provide the rules for the fan made material.

I like the Android book myself, but I can't recall anything in it I would apply to non-androids. Care to share an example or two of where you're finding fits? Rather curious to see what you've come up with.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

It seems to me that toughness would fit when describing individuals who are physically more vigorous than average, and since templates represent an average citizen it could be possible that some member of the species might very well lack the advantage. I think armor should apply towards physiological adaptations like chitin, scales, blubber, or thick fur. Consequently, I think it could be possible for a character to have both toughness and natural armor.