Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Consolidated ICON

Sorry for the delay in responding. Been a little busy and free time has been hard to find for the last year.

JALU3, it's been awhile since I've even gotten to look at my books but I believe those were covered. If I did miss something send it my way (PM or e-mail) and I'll get working on another update.

Thanks Fugazi Grrl. I too love having all this information in one source. I would love to add a Consolidated Advantages/Disadvantages, but it would be a copyright issue as to do such a consolidation I would want to describe the trait as the books do, not just list the name of the trait and its cost (if I just do a list we'll still need the books to refer too). I'd rather know what each Advan/Disadvan does, which would require reprinting the rules of the traits which means reprinting some of the rules of the game.

Just listing the Overlays and what not isn't copyright issue becuase there are no rules being discussed. Only the skills for that overlay or Package are listed, not the rules for what those skills mean or how they are used. I guess it's like listing the ingredients for a cake, you can't give the instructions on how to make the cake, only what the ingredients are.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

Quote Originally Posted by redwood973
    JALU3, it's been awhile since I've even gotten to look at my books but I believe those were covered. If I did miss something send it my way (PM or e-mail) and I'll get working on another update.
    I looked at your academy life consolidated, and it maybe there but the groupings are not done where you can see what is for officers, and what is for enlisted, as their training expereinces, if I remember correctly, have different DPs associated with them 5 compared to 3. Of course if I am wrong, then there is no need to make any changes.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Nope, I missed the Enlisted Training. And I discovered looking over the sheets that I missed the optional Expanded Cadet Cruise too!

Working on correcting these two oversights; will post updated consolidated Academy Life History as soon as I have it finished.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

First Update Available

Okay, I've completed the first update. The new Consolidated Starfleet Overlays is attached to the second post of this thread. This was an unexpected update; I discovered while working on the other sheets I missed three overlays!

This new sheet includes Overlays for Rangers, Rapid Respons Teams, Strategic Engineer, and Theoretical Engineer. Additionaly, the overlay description were updated for the Helmsman/Navigator and the JAG Overlays.

If you see any Overlays I've missed point them out and I'll get them in!

Working on updates to the other sheets; will get them out to you as soon as I can.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

Any chances you can update the "Academy Life" sheet with the enlisted stuff and the other things you said you missed?

"The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Yep, I'm working on an update to all the sheets. Well, except for the Marine sheet; not finding anything to update it with.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

Second Update Available

Time for the second update. The new Consolidated Civilian Overlays is attached to the third post of this thread. This was another unexpected update; talking with friends we discussed some new Overlays and updates to existing ones.

This new sheet includes a new Overlay for Athletes, and the Prostitute/Courtesan/Companion Overlay has been broken up into two: a Prostitute Overlay and a Courtesan/Companion Overlay. Additionally the Academician and Scientist Overlays have been tweeked; along with a few other minor changes to other Overlays. I also changed the layout a little (much better this way I do believe).

If you have an idea for an Overlay or see something I've missed point it out and I'll get working on including it.

Working on updates to the other sheets; will get them out to you as soon as I can.
    Last edited by redwood973; 11-28-2011 at 08:44 PM.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

Sorry for the delay in the updates; I've gotten a little side tracked with consolidating the traits. Thirty-four pages thus far (and that's just the traits from the ICON material, I've not started with the fan produced stuff yet!).

This is going to be a difficult one. First off the page length is starting to become an issue. File is getting too big; I'll need to break it up into two (Adv. and Disadv.). Then there is the issue of figuring which fan made traits to include (sorry, I just can't see some of them as being necessary [sure being underage is a bumber, but do we really need a Youth (-x) Disadvantage?]).

It will probably cause some discord, but I'm thinking of compiling the fan made traits and starting a thread to seek input on which to include and which to ignore.

And then there is the whole copyright issue which makes me wonder if this consolidated project should even be done--per the forum rules I can't post it here and would have to e-mail it to anyone interested, which avoids involving TrekRPG in the copyright issue, but still leaves me in the realm of legal hurt.

Decisions, decisions. . .
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

When the discussions begin, I'll be there. This is a very worthy project you've under taken.

I've started the polishing of the ICON material; I want it in its final presentable form before I start tossing in the fan made stuff.

Here for your enjoyment is Appendix I made to solve a presentation problem (too much information to include in a text box with the trait text).

I had a tough time with this (it was an OCD thing). I've kind of tossed my hands up at this one and don't know where else to go with it. I hope the Note(s) make sense, but to be honest after awhile I felt like I was just chasing my tail. I've tried very hard to make each item stand out on it's own as each culture has it's own set of values, but obviously there will be some similartity between items.

Please if you have suggestions on making this better send them my way. I'm only about 50% happy with this Appendix--I feel it needs work!

By the way, the best way to present this work was to turn the pages on their side, so the bottem of the page is actually the left margin.

Here you go, Appendix I--Commendations!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by redwood973; 02-12-2012 at 01:23 PM.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

OK, so these are the published ones... But why are the Federation awards seperate from Terran ones?

I would have thought them open to the Federation? (specially the Daystrom award). I almost missed the Carrington award with that split...
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Hello, Dan. Yes, these are the published as well as the fan contributed ones (fan stuff, as always, is marked by the * symbol; such as the Scott Award for Engineering Excellence).

I assume that certain awards, be they Andorian, Vulcan or Terran, would be open to any Federation race, but they would still be an award issued by that planetary government and not by the Federation itself. I don’t see Terra and the Federation being one and the same–I rather think of the Federation as I do the U.S.; the U.S. is sovereign, but each state making up the U.S. is sovereign to an extent (and issues their own awards and citations separate from the U.S. itself). I saw no reason why Terra wouldn’t have it’s own awards issued by its own authority.

The Daystrom Award is a major award, the presentation of which is looked forward too throughout the Federation, but it’s a Terran award issued by the proper Terran authority. Whereas the Carrington is a Federation award, awarded by the proper Federation authority.

To be honest, I never considered not making the split; it just seemed the way to do it.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

Not bad; so how much distinctiveness do Nation-States have within the United Earth Government? Is the Nobel Prize still awarded by the King of Sweden, or in the case of the Peace Prize in the presence of the King of Norway? Would they award commendations? For instance mentions of the President of the United States can be found during the DW in Star Trek novels. If this is the case, do they also Commission Officers? If so, could a Starfleet Officer commissioned from say École Spéciale Militaire de Saint-Cyr carry a French, United Earth, and Starfleet Commissions?

Hello, JALU3. I’ve never put much thought into “how much distinctiveness” the “states” of Terra have. I would see no reason to break with tradition as regards the awarding of the Nobel prizes–the King would be involved assuming the position still existed. I would see no reason why each nation would not have a volunteer “national guard,” the officers of which would be commissioned by their respective government they serve. Terra would itself have a defensive force–Earth Force for lack of a better name at the moment–who’s officers would be commissioned by the proper Terran authority.

As for Starfleet, I’d think since that is distinctively a Federation service all it’s members hold their authority from the Federation. If a lieutenant from Earth Force–or one from the Arcturian High Guard for that matter–wanted to serve in Starfleet he could (if his planetary command approves), but his commission in Starfleet and the authority he holds from that position is his by grant from the Federation–his position with his home planets forces would be irrelevant (depending if he meets the requirements or not, he may not even hold the same rank in Starfleet that he does with his "home" force). Unless of course it’s a joint Starfleet/Earth Force mission–but that would be a different set of circumstances and different rules would apply.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

Going on two weeks; anyone have any additions or revisions to the appendix? Would it be preferred to have the Terran commendations folded into the Federation commendations?

I felt the appendix needed work, but should I take the silence as meaning it's good enough as is?
    Steven "redwood973" Wood