Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Consolidated ICON

I am torn with folding the UFP Commendations into a collective block, I can see the benefits, after all the UFP is an equal opportunities society, and it seems that these should be available to all.

However. The flip side is that in some cases extra renown may be called for in some cases. After all, whenever we have seen (on-screen) chatracters commended outside the norms, it always seems to become a point of additional renown;

eg; Picard serving as Klingon Arbiter of Succession, Nog, Worf, Data and Spock as the first of their species to graduate starfleet academy, so what happens for the PC's when a Human attends and passes the Vulcan Science Academy, would this get a little extra renown or am I starting to witter and add additional rules (which would only be possible with the species split)...
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Hello, Dan. If folding the UFP Commendations into a collective block, would you prefer the Note(s) made no mention of what issuing authority grants the commendation and just listing for what the commendation is granted?

As I’ve said before, I don’t see why, say a Human couldn’t be awarded the Andorian Ribbon by the Council of Clans. There is a few mentions in the book Among the Clans about a novel a Human wrote about Andor which was popular and made everything Andorian a fad. Perhaps the Andorian Ribbon was awarded for this text. My problem with that is seeing why the Human would gain any Renown benefit, unless when dealing with Andorians. Why would Humans care about a minor Andorian award issued for celebrating the celebrating of the Andorian culture?

On the flip side though, I could see your point about the extra mark of distinction of receiving a commendation outside the norms; the significant commendations (costing 3 Development Points).
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

Quote Originally Posted by redwood973 View Post
    Hello, Dan. If folding the UFP Commendations into a collective block, would you prefer the Note(s) made no mention of what issuing authority grants the commendation and just listing for what the commendation is granted?

Oh Absolutely. Perhaps the way to go is to not alter them, but to alter their location in the document...

for example;
    UFP Commendations
    <text for the UFP commenrations>
    In addition to trans UFP commendations, many member worlds still issue thir own, while many of these are able to be awarded to all citizens of the UFP, many are rarely awarded to off-worlders.
    Sub-Categories
    Andorian Commendations.
    Betazoid Commendations.
    Tellarite Commentdations.
    Vulcan Commendations.
    etc.

That way its clear that they are still commendations recognised within the UFP, but that their origins and common grouping are clear too?
    DanG/Darth Gurden

Still working on the revision; adding Cardassian commendations messed up the format a little. I've moved the Federation member planets commendations as sub-bodies of the Federation commendations and do like that much better, but again the formating got goofed up.

So, need to polish the appearance and define some Cardassian awards and it will be finalized. . .now I just need some spare time to this.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

Okay, I've updated the appendix and reposted it to the 25th post of this topic.

Please, any suggestions would be appreciated; I feel the descriptions need much more work, especially those new Commendations added to this version (three Cardassian, two Bajoran and two Klingon Commendations).
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

especially those new Commendations added to this version (... two Bajoran...).
    OK. Will be yanking all those into the Bajoran Sourcebook. So will likely be giving those descriptions a once-over and may even add a couple, I reckon the Kai/Vedek Assembly would issue a few.
    DanG/Darth Gurden

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gurden View Post
    OK. Will be yanking all those into the Bajoran Sourcebook. So will likely be giving those descriptions a once-over and may even add a couple, I reckon the Kai/Vedek Assembly would issue a few.
    I noticed that the Golden Orb and First Minister award seem to have a little more flavour text over in Memory Beta (credited to the Decipher RPG), two sources together make for a bit more flavour...

Been thinking about some others and I am figuring a post occupation 'Defender of Bajor' medal for active members of the resistance, probably a +1 as I reckon its likely to be quite common.

Harder part was the Kai's commendation. Thinking something like 'The Vedek Gratitude' as a +2, perhaps the Vedek council draw up a list of Bajorans worthy of recognition and the list is vetted and approved by the Kai who bestows the honour. However... Thats one for the Bajor Sourcebook.
    DanG/Darth Gurden

I had considered developing both a "Vedek Prize" (making it the Bajoran version of the Nobel Peace Prize) and an occupation medal. Instead I've tried making the published Bajoran awards rather open in their purpose and serving more than one purpose.

I could see the Bajoran Medal of Valor (MV) or the First Minister's Award (FMA) being given out like a peace prize; while the MV could also be given out like Starfleets Pike and the FMA could also be awarded cultural, scientific or technological breakthroughs or even acts of courage by members of the militia.

The Service Medallion I see being awarded to members of the resistance; while developing these I had other ideas for what it was issued for but they escape me at the moment, but largely I seen this as the occupation resistance awarded and like you, thought it would be very common.

OK. Will be yanking all those into the Bajoran Sourcebook. So will likely be giving those descriptions a once-over. . .
    Glad at least someone will find them useful. I look forward to seeing any polishing you do. I'm thinking I'd like to keep the appendix rather general (while obvisouly your Bajoran Sourcebook one would expect to find more flavor), however, as I've stated, I'm not overly happy with some of these descriptions and may generalize them differntly with your work.

And thank-you for the input you've already provided. . .I much more like having the Federation/Federation Worlds awards folded into each other.
    Last edited by redwood973; 02-13-2012 at 03:45 PM.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

Bajoran Commendations. Did a bit of a work up, still short and hopefully pithy, and took out the 3 I added for the sourcebook

Bajoran Service Medallion +1
    (2 Skill) Awarded to members of the Bajoran Militia and former Resistance fighters for extended or exemplary service to Bajor and the Bajoran people and to recognise acts of courage and Valour

First Minister’s Award +2
    (4 Skill) The First Minister's Award was a minor commendation awarded to Militia officers of the Republic of Bajor, awarded for exemplary service and acts in furtherance of the health and welfare of the Bajoran people.

Golden Orb of Bajor + 3
    (6 Openness) The Golden Orb is a major commendation awarded to decorated and distinguished individuals of the Republic of Bajor. Awarded for meritorious service, often under hazardous conditions in the defence of Bajor.

Bajoran Medal of Valour +3
    (6 Initiative) Awarded to Militia personnel for exceptional service in the defence of Bajor in both war and in peacetime operational assignments.

Bajoran Ribbon of Honour +3
    (8 Skill OR Discipline) Awarded for achievements and service aimed at the preservation, promotion and development of Bajor through cultural development or scientific and technological advancement.

Not too much difference if I am honest but I hope it helps a bit?
    DanG/Darth Gurden

I've gone back and forth with the Bajoran commendations. I've finally decided to let them stand as they are; as adding Dan's additions rather made the rest of the work feel like it needed more polish. So, I've decided to leave everything as is and as general as possible.

Okay, still working on consolidating the Traits–going through the LUG books a second time to make sure I didn’t miss anything (only have the DS9 and TOS Corebooks left to go through).

I’m also starting to compile a serious list of fan made Traits. I have to admit, I’m ignoring some as they are simply repeats of existing Traits (just using different names, or providing alternate rules) or can be handled by existing traits (the Youth Disadvantage I mentioned in a previous post for example can be dealt with by using the Diminished Social Status (Youth) in my opinion.

I’ve also developed a second Appendix–Promotions! The Diplomatic, Intelligence Service and Political promotions are somewhat tied together and just to clarify you will see the chart for these promotions somewhat melded together. This indicates that once you reach the limit of your advancement in your field your next promotion is into the political field (for example, a character with Promotion: Diplomatic Service (Ambassador) +5 would advance to Promotion: Political (Under Secretary) +6 upon his next promotion–signifying his duties are now more administrative or policy development related rather than field work and implementation).
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

I've gone back and forth with the Bajoran commendations. I've finally decided to let them stand as they are; as adding Dan's additions rather made the rest of the work feel like it needed more polish. So, I've decided to leave everything as is and as general as possible.
    No worries... At least it'll see the spit 'm polish in the Bajoran book...

I have a couple of new Advantages/Disadvantages in there too. I know what you mean abot most of them being work-ups of existing stuff though... Sometimes they add flavour... Othertimes less so.

For example one of mine is 'Attained' which is a diminished Social Status for a religious Bajoran (evvectively excommunicated), but with an alternate rule to swap Courage points for Pagh it takes on an additional effect that differs from the 'diminished social status' but without the Pagh rules I will admit that there is no change...

As I had been looking at the Religious Ranking rules I am aiming to keep the +1 to +6 range... But as yours are not just focused on the Bajoran Religion, a possible ammendment for +8 (Prophet or Emissary) would be the addition of 'Saint'... As a semi deity figure...
    DanG/Darth Gurden

Dan, I'm actually thinking about cutting back on the Religous Rankings (using just +1 to +6). I was thinking of doing away with the Lector or Cantor at +1 and the Archbishop at +5. I assume you were thinking the same or do you have another route?

I'll be revising the highest rank to read "Prophet/Saint or Emissary."

Anyone think of any other rankings that could be added? I'm thinking we could have a law enforcement addition to the sheet. Any others I'm missing?
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

For the Bajor Adv/Dis, I kept the +1 to +6 range for both religious rank and political rank... From the DS9 Core Rules, But have used the +2 per rank for the Militia to draw it in line with Starfleet from the Players Guide...

This of course is inconsistant and means they use different purchasing systems, and I am considering going back but maybe adding in the PG version as an addendum...

hehe. I have added a Bajoran Constabulary range: (off the top of my head; Watchman, Sergeant, Constable, Chief Constable, Inspector, Chief Inspector, but have not really finallised this as I am not certain of the order, I think that perhaps I will be dropping Chief Inspector and shifting Chief Constable to the top...), and the Law enforcement book I did a while back was based on Owens rankings, so good pedegree there
    DanG/Darth Gurden

I've debated using the Promotion from the Law Enforcement Fanbook, but have finally decided against it in favor of a more law enforcement flavored option rather than an intelligence agency flavored option on a 0 to +7 scale (Officer; Detective; Sergeant; Inspector; Superintendent; Chief; Deputy Commissioner; and Commissioner). I'm still working on this; I'm thinking of dropping perhaps Inspector and thus topping off at +6.

I've also added Rankings for Starfleet Marines (from the Consolidated Marine .pdf); the Breen and Gorn; as well as developing a Corporate Promotions option.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

Depends on the force of course... But Detective isn't a rank its a job (IMO), at the very least its an alternate career track starting on a smaller promotion (from Officer to Detective). Thusly you also get Detective Sergeant and detective Inspector, I think it is only really affecting the field assignment; once you reach the higher ranks it merges again...
    DanG/Darth Gurden