Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: New (older) ships for Trek

Quote Originally Posted by somaticon View Post
    Now for the Antares Class
    While I don't necessarily hold that the Antares was the class ship, I do like the fact that when the time came to put it on-screen in the remasters, the CGI crew went back to the animated series and found an existing design.

Out of idle curiosity, where'd you get her measurements?
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

I used the measurements as found on the following website www.ditl.org/. I've found it fairly useful.
    Tractor beams are not designed for sling shotting Asteroids!! "What other use is there then?" T'Pak klingon/ vulcan hybrids response to fighting in an asteriod field.

I also have both ships as models in the 1:1000 scale and it seems to be fairly close.
    Tractor beams are not designed for sling shotting Asteroids!! "What other use is there then?" T'Pak klingon/ vulcan hybrids response to fighting in an asteriod field.

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13 View Post
    While I don't necessarily hold that the Antares was the class ship, I do like the fact that when the time came to put it on-screen in the remasters, the CGI crew went back to the animated series and found an existing design.

Out of idle curiosity, where'd you get her measurements?
    Wasn't it called the Independance Class in the old fan materials.

I based the name on three different sources however I kind off agree with you about the shup class especially considering how often Antares classes turn up in DS9, TNG and even in an unused script for Voyager . I know whu dont we open the name to a public choice? and I'll modify the PDF accordingly.

I've done a bit more work so I present the collected Antares/Wodan family tree 2 of the designs are completely new.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by somaticon; 12-19-2010 at 02:20 PM. Reason: fixing a few typos

Target practice for M5 computer controlled warships everywhere.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by somaticon; 12-19-2010 at 01:52 PM.

It's the "SS Woden", ( http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Woden ) . Though I wouldn't use the 'canon' registries from remastered for much, since Okuda deliberately chose them to screw over existing fandom or older material.

Other notes, while the Antares and similar ships are old, keep in mind that their configurations in both TOS and TAS have to be a post-2245 uprating due to their nacelles and engines. If they appear prior to that, they need a completely different nacelle/engine scheme (maybe Baton Rogue style). Of course, there's nothing preventing the ships actually being younger than the Enterprise, though, and we can just assume that Charlie (who mentions the Anatares as being old) as just being an asshole to cover up and excuse his mass murder.
    "Thank god I'm only watching the game... controlling it!"

somaticon,

I wonder if you knew that the availability for a Sentient Computer is 2370( according to the ESO).

I ignored that and based the sentient AI on the M series from TOS. I'm a fan of both TOS and the Re Mastered series I have to admit that a part of me had trouble accepting a DY100 still being used as an automated Cargo Drone. If it helps think of the sentient computer as being pre- sentient thats the way we run it in our games hence the limited command flaws. One of our ships was three lawed and had a tendancy of deactivating weapons when fighting against other humans
    Last edited by somaticon; 12-19-2010 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TFVanguard View Post
    It's the "SS Woden", ( http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Woden ) . Though I wouldn't use the 'canon' registries from remastered for much, since Okuda deliberately chose them to screw over existing fandom or older material.

Other notes, while the Antares and similar ships are old, keep in mind that their configurations in both TOS and TAS have to be a post-2245 uprating due to their nacelles and engines. If they appear prior to that, they need a completely different nacelle/engine scheme (maybe Baton Rogue style). Of course, there's nothing preventing the ships actually being younger than the Enterprise, though, and we can just assume that Charlie (who mentions the Anatares as being old) as just being an asshole to cover up and excuse his mass murder.
    The Cargo Drone is meant to be the SS Woden, I'll probably change the name of the smaller version to something else. As for changing the nacelles and other components I intended to do so but forgot .

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Richard_Daystrom

I've been playing around with the question what happened to the previous M series AI's. The gaming group decided that they were inferior to the AI in the ESO but that they were advanced for their time.

Quote Originally Posted by somaticon View Post
    http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Richard_Daystrom

I've been playing around with the question what happened to the previous M series AI's. The gaming group decided that they were inferior to the AI in the ESO but that they were advanced for their time.
    The M-1 through M-4 machines were lab experiments of various capability. In other words, they were 'previous versions' of the M-5 which weren't up to snuff for various reasons. The M-5 itself was the first version deemed 'complete' enough for Starship use... and look how well that turned out.
    "Thank god I'm only watching the game... controlling it!"

Well I changed a few things around and made the nacelles on the older 2220 vessels more in line with the Baton Rouge.

Quote Originally Posted by TFVanguard View Post
    The M-1 through M-4 machines were lab experiments of various capability. In other words, they were 'previous versions' of the M-5 which weren't up to snuff for various reasons. The M-5 itself was the first version deemed 'complete' enough for Starship use... and look how well that turned out.
    Of course, given how they were made, being called merely an ineffectual prototype might drive them to arrange their own escape to prove themselves.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry