Thread: Production end dates for certain classes

Production end dates for certain classes

Hi all. I'm in the beginning stages of planning a long term campaign that will start with the end of my players time in the academy (class of 2368) that will climax with the close of the Dominion War (2375), with a possibility of a pick up in 2377. I'm just curious if there are any generally agreed upon dates for the end of the production of a few classes. I want to know so I know if my players could possibly be taking a ship out on its shakedown cruise at any point over that 2368-2377 period.

Here's the classes I'm thinking of...

Galaxy

Nebula

Akira

Any help is appreciated!

I'd imagine they'd all be in production in that period.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

In a general sense yes, but if, say Galaxy production ceased in 2373, they would be able to launch one in 2377. Hence why I'm trying to dig up specific dates. An extremely geeky pursuit I know, but I'm shooting to make the game as canonically feasible as possible.

As far as I know, all the remaining Galaxy class explorers were pressed into service during the Dominion War, but they were not quite finished when they were. You could easily have one getting it's final fit-up and doing its actual shakedown cruise even though it's been through the War. After all, not all of its systems would have been tested, just drives, combat sensors and tactical systems. Hell, you could have it develop a few quirks from being rushed into service without a proper trial period...

My Two Cents

I seem to recall seeing somewhere the typical production run being on average twenty years–plus or minus ten years depending on the usefulness of the design (Constellations' run would probably be shorter having been replaced by the more adaptable Ambassador-class, while Miranda-class would probably be longer; considering how often they showed up to be bashed during DS9).

Unless you feel the Galaxy-class was halted in favor of the Sovereign design you’d see Galaxies being produced up to 2382; Nebulas up to 2375; and Akiras to 2383 (going with just the estimated average twenty-year production).

Although, just because a class is out of production doesn’t mean it is taken out of service–by TNG/DS9 period the Miranda is almost 150 years old. A variation of Owen’s comments would be to take an older class ship and upgrade it to the time period your game is in and the “shakedown” they’re doing is on a much older spaceframe fresh out of drydock with all new systems.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

You can justify a shakedown cruise with any type of massive overhaul.

Also, judging from the registry numbers, some classes go through large order batches multiple times over the years. For example, Miranda class ships may date from the 2270s, if their numbers are four-digit, or the early half of the 24th century if in the 32000 or 33000s.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry