Thread: TOS ICON - Ships of the Fleet

TOS ICON - Ships of the Fleet

My current project, a 32 page guide for ICON detailing ships of the fleet. (NOT Spacedock). This will include a lot of fluff and information on ships not found in the TOS RPG itself as well.

Sample Article:

CONSTITUTION CLASS (2245—2254)
    While the Baton Rogue class of the previous generation signaled the pinnacle of the “Earth” fleet, the Constitution class would herald the beginning of a true Star Fleet for the entire Federation. Indeed, it’s difficult to image the Federation Fleet without the Heavy Cruiser at the front of it, exploring strange new worlds, and boldly going where no man has gone before.

The original configuration of the Constitution class, launched in 2245 STC, represented the single largest breakthrough in Federation naval science over the last 100 years. With the installation of the PB-31 warp engines, a refinement on the PBX-30 engines found on the Bonaventure, Federation starships could now cross in mere days or weeks what the previous generation of starships would require months or even years to manage.

Strategically, the Constitution Class, being able to deliver significant firepower at high speeds, meant that the federation could now both dramatically expand and more effectively protect its borders. With the steadily increasing threat of the Klingon Empire, the deployment of a Constitution class vessel allowed for a quick response to hostile action, as well as present a considerable show of force to any other would-be enemy.

In addition to the vessels’ raw power, new scientific equipment, thanks to the Duotronic breakthroughs installed within her computer cores, would allow the Constitution class to perform surveys with higher fidelity and accuracy than had been managed in the past. As a natural result, when a Constitution class vessel was not strategically engaged, she would more than likely be assigned to chart and detail the frontiers of Federation space.

Overall, The first version of the Constitution class would solidify her place in Star Fleet history. Indeed, the success of missions such as Captain Robert April’s three year mission into the frontier would embolden the fledgling Star fleet as well as help secure humanity’s place within the galaxy.

Federation Heavy Cruiser
    Commissioning Date: 2245
    Hull Characteristics
    Size 6
    Resistance: 2
    Structural Points: 120
    Operations Characteristics
    Crew: 203, 235 Passengers, 1300 Evacuation [7 Pwr/Rd]
    Computers: 4 [4 Pwr/Rd]
    Transporters: 4 Personnel, 2 Emer, 2 Cargo [4 Pwr/Rd]]
    Tractor Beam: FV, AV [2 Pwr/Rating/Rd]
    Propulsion
    Warp System: PB-31 Tandem: WF 5/6/7 [2 Pwr/Warp]
    Impulse: IPI86E: .5c / .75c [5 or 7 Pwr/Rnd]
    Sensor Systems
    Long Range: +1 / 10ly [6 Pwr/Rnd]
    Lateral: +1 / 1ly [4 Pwr/Rnd]
    Navigation: +1 [5 Pwr/Rnd]
    Sensors Skill: 4
    Weapons Systems
    “Tesla” Type Laser Cannons
    Range: 6/8,000/40,000/100,000
    Firing Arcs: FV, FP, FS, A
    Accuracy: 5 / 6 / 8 / 11
    Damage: 10
    Power: [10]
    Sistemi MK-IV Photon Torpedoes
    Range: 15/150,000,500,000/1,000,000
    Accuracy: 4/5/7/10
    Launcher Arc: F (Self Guided)
    Number: 60
    Spread: 3
    Damage: 15
    Power: [5]
    Weapon Skill: 4
    Deflector Shield
    Protection: 20 / 30
    Power: [20]

Ships of the Class
    Being a new ship type with remarkable, and somewhat untried, new technology, Star Fleet Appropriations was initially hesitant to place orders for many of these new heavy cruisers, instead preferring to uprate the aging Baton Rouge class vessels. Only 12 ships of the Constitution class in their original configuration were ordered.
    USS Constitution (NCC-1700)
    USS Enterprise (NCC-1701)
    USS Farragut (NCC-1702)
    USS Lexington (NCC-1703)
    USS Yorktown (NCC-1704)
    USS Excalibur (NCC-1705)
    USS Exeter (NCC-1706)
    USS Hood (NCC-1707)
    USS Intrepid (NCC-1708)
    USS Valiant (NCC-1709)
    USS Kongo (NCC-1710)
    USS Potemkin (NCC-1711)

Yamato Command Cruiser Subclass
    In addition to the 12 members of the Constitution class, four similar vessels would be constructed to serve as command vessels along the Federation frontier. The ships would be similar in layout to the Constitution class, but would forgo the bulk of scientific labs and equipment in favor of command and control offices for strategic and tactical planning.
    USS Yamato (NCC-1305-A)
    USS Kitty-Hawk (NCC-1015), lost in the Four Year’s War
    USS America (NCC-1016), lost in the Four Year’s War
    USS Constellation (NCC-1017)
    "Thank god I'm only watching the game... controlling it!"

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
    Looks like you've got your work cut out for you, but it will be well worth it when you get it done, I'm sure.

I for one would love something like Decipher's Starships, but for the ICON system. Spacedock, I'm sure, is quite good, but it is a bit over my head when it comes to trying to cobble together an original design. Unfortunately, you don't have people posting on the net all the gaming stats for ships like they do with the FASA & CODA systems.

So, a non-Spacedock set of stats for the ships of Starfleet, and even beyond would be a wonderful boon to ICON players.

Well, I'm at 32 pages now, and there's a lot more I want to add, so I'm officially extending my planned page-count to 48. (This is really for more my own discipline than anything necessary, I suppose...) That means I'll probably put up a WE2 in the near future for those of you that are impatient.
    "Thank god I'm only watching the game... controlling it!"