Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boomers and merchant Captains

Boomers and merchant Captains

Hopefully that caught your attention I've been planning on writing a source book for my gaming group loosely inspired by the old Fasa book. My plan is a guidebook for playing as a crew of merchants, Boomers including freighters of various sizes. This includes small one man operations right up to the big mega tankers, a variation on the squadron rules and hopefully threat vessels such as Orion raiders etal. Any suggestions or ideas on what else should be added are more than welcome.
    Tractor beams are not designed for sling shotting Asteroids!! "What other use is there then?" T'Pak klingon/ vulcan hybrids response to fighting in an asteriod field.

Well, if it's CODA you'll be writing it for, including plenty of development packages for chargen is a must. There's a Boomer personal development package in Don's Enterprise sourcebook as an example. There are also some tanker/freighter designs in there as well.

But chargen options would obviously be first on my list.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

S. John Ross released fifty-some pages of Merchants and Traders as part of the Untaken Treks. A very useful resource to have and for the most part non-system specific (the last handful of pages were system specific [ICON] characters and ships of the frontier).

A conversion, if necessary, to your specific system of the last few pages and you have a ready made guidebook for your players.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

Thanks guys
    Tractor beams are not designed for sling shotting Asteroids!! "What other use is there then?" T'Pak klingon/ vulcan hybrids response to fighting in an asteriod field.

What are you referring to by "boomers"? I don't get the reference...

Boomers are family groups who live and serve on freighters. The term was introduced in Enterprise, her navigator was a Boomer born on the Horizon.

Actually, Boomers were only those born in space in the early-mid 22nd century - the term is short for "Space-Boomers".

Yeah your right about that

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
    Oh, sounds like a wonderful idea ! I'm definitely looking forward, and could offer to contribute a bit if you'd be open to that idea ?

I've done some development packages for Intel, and Marine characters, so maybe I could help crunch out a few for Freighter crews as well. Especially since we have several in our group.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton View Post
    Actually, Boomers were only those born in space in the early-mid 22nd century - the term is short for "Space-Boomers".
    The irony is that their way of life is doomed by the Warp-5 project. Faster engines make for shorter trips... so within a generation or so there'll be no more Boomers.

Thanks for the feedback guys and gals there will probably be a slight delay on getting work started on this though. I have homework for christmas and exams in 2 weeks time. My aim is a handbook which will cover threat species and vessels as well as freighters and smaller cargo ships etc. To start of I've done up a copy of a certain famous Star Wars stock freighter which had a cameo appearance in First Contact. This will be my first e-book so bear with me please

Quote Originally Posted by somaticon View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys and gals there will probably be a slight delay on getting work started on this though. I have homework for christmas and exams in 2 weeks time. My aim is a handbook which will cover threat species and vessels as well as freighters and smaller cargo ships etc. To start of I've done up a copy of a certain famous Star Wars stock freighter which had a cameo appearance in First Contact. This will be my first e-book so bear with me please
    You must have been a bad boy to end up with homework in your Christmas stocking

One of my gaming group (who plays a lot of civilian & merchant characters including a woman who runs a brothel) is in college and has exams coming up in about the same time-frame. So, I know how it goes with the studying and the time it takes.

My offer of help still holds.

One thing we could definitely work on is a write-up on the Stracian Trade Guild - which is mentioned in the PG, but isn't listed on Memory Alpha.

That and the Star Merchant Guild

You could have "Guild Member" as an Edge, or a professional ability for a Trader, or a Merchant character. I saw that - Guild Member - in someone's LOTR House Rules. It would make a good addition for Trek as well.

Well this has grown out of scale. It will be an interesting piece its now a large supplement. Which I will up load once it is finished.