Thread: Deciphering Health and Weariness

Deciphering Health and Weariness

I was looking at the 'official' character sheet I have on PDF, and cannot for the life of me figure out what the small boxes are for, that are positioned in between the Health and Weariness Total boxes. There are 10 of these mystery boxes for each Health and Weariness level, but what are they used for?

Thanks.

Your character has a number of hit points in each Wound level equal to his Vitality plus his strength modifier. So, a Vitality of 8 with a +1 strength modifier gives a PC 9 health points at each level.

When the character sustains a wound, the first level is reduced and once it has reached 9, you move to the next wound level. The character then is debilitated by the wound level penalty that relates to how wounded he is.

Example: Dirnhael has a health rating of 9, and is medium-sized so has the standard number of 6 wound levels. He takes a hit from a sword and sustains 18 damage. First, the damage is reduced by 2 to reflect his armor protection, and so 16 is marked on the character sheet wound boxes. His Healthy level is marked in 9 boxes and then his Dazed level is marked for 7 boxes. When Dirnhael goes to make any physical action of his own, he now has a -1 penalty due to his condition.

Weariness works somewhat the same, except there is no weariness points... if a character fails a Stamina test at a given action, or sustained action, he may be reduced to the next weariness level, or a weariness level based on the degree of failure of his dice roll (if ordered by Narrator).

Example: Dirnhael has been traveling for over 16 hours with no rest. The Narrator orders a Stamina test to resist Weariness and the TN is 20 due to the time spent with no sleep. The PC rolls a Stamina test and acheives a 13 failure and so goes from Hale to Winded -1.

Like Wounds, wearniess penalties affect all actions that the PC may take until the penalty condition is relieved (i.e. by sleeping). Wound and Weariness penalties do stack with each other, but a PC is not affected by each levels modifier, only the condition level he is in... meaning, a character who is affected by Winded level (weariness) -1 and is Wounded, has a net penalty of -6. You do not add up all the penalties of the previous wound levels into the mod.

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
    Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦○○] Dmg 9/11 | Edge 8 | Injury 16/18
    Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane, Foe-slaying
    Shadow bane, Skirmisher