Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: State of the Fleet

They're not supervillains, why do they need an origin story? It tiny-fying.
    I'll agree to that, but with their over use as a major threat they became "big bad of the week". This has made many speculate on their origins and the authors found that the best way to end them was to give them a beginning.

They were especially space-zombie-like there, and it was pretty cool.
    Again I don't dispute this, but if you are going to use something as a threat (and they were suppossed to be a major threat) you have to expand on who and what they are.
    "Star Trekkin' across the universe, On the Starship Enterprise, Under Captain Kirk.
    Star Trekkin' across the universe, Boldly going forward 'cause we can't find reverse."
    Star Trekkin' by The Firm.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroArmour View Post
    I'll agree to that, but with their over use as a major threat they became "big bad of the week". This has made many speculate on their origins and the authors found that the best way to end them was to give them a beginning.
    It's a rather dull, humanocentric beginning. I'd much prefer if their origins were lost in some vast pre-galactic past.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    It's a rather dull, humanocentric beginning. I'd much prefer if their origins were lost in some vast pre-galactic past.
    Agreed. That's why I was groaning when Voyager aired 'Dark Frontier'. Retcon in the Hansen family, maverick scientists off hunting the Borg years before 'Q Who?'. It's sure to inject extra coolness...

I have nothing against revisiting a villain - if it's done well. But Voyager's writers transformed the Borg into bionic bumblers. The Borg Queen almost became a Scooby Doo bad guy by the time 'Endgame' aired.

"I'd have assimilated the Alpha Quadrant, if it wasn't for that meddling Captain Janeway!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Nuclear Fridge View Post
    Agreed. That's why I was groaning when Voyager aired 'Dark Frontier'. Retcon in the Hansen family, maverick scientists off hunting the Borg years before 'Q Who?'. It's sure to inject extra coolness...
    I liked the Hansons, it's the "We've been swept into the Delta Quadrant and we're going to just keep bumming around" part that bugged me.

I have nothing against revisiting a villain - if it's done well. But Voyager's writers transformed the Borg into bionic bumblers. The Borg Queen almost became a Scooby Doo bad guy by the time 'Endgame' aired.[/quote]

"Almost"? They dropped all the interesting parts of her. I get the sense that RDM was a much better character writer, and that elements outside of his touch (i.e. the Queen post-FC) drop the subtleties which were there at the beginning. Which is to say, the tension between the Queen's apparent singularity and her demonstrations of Borgliness.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

When I said 'almost', I meant that she didn't hang out in a creepy abandoned fairground, wearing a Spooky Ghost Suit and scaring the living daylights out of the local property developer...

But yes, post-FC, the Queen's character became 'super-weak', to quote Eric Cartman. Playing head games with Seven of Nine and trying to out-bitch Janeway? I'm surprised the Queen didn't try to stab Kathryn with a nail-file or a sharpened stiletto heel. Bleurk!