Thread: Trill

Trill

After reading destiny and now some after it I keep seeing references to trill and something about symbiots that was a big revelation I am missing something. Can someone fill me in and tell me what book it came from?
    USS INDEPENDENCE

"FREEDOM'S FLAGSHIP"

I think that might allude to two different tv episodes TNG's the Host and a Ds9 episode which I can't remember the name of. In the host the fact the Trill are a symbiotic life form is revealed and in the DS9 episode they discover that more of the population can be hosts than the officials revealed.
    Tractor beams are not designed for sling shotting Asteroids!! "What other use is there then?" T'Pak klingon/ vulcan hybrids response to fighting in an asteriod field.

OK, literature spoilers here! Beware!

That may be it, also there is a revelation made in the DS9 relaunch books (Mission Gamma I think and later on) that makes a connection between the Trill symbiotes and the parasites that tried to take over Starfleet command during the first (or second) year of TNG (episode "Conspiracy").

Ahhh! Cut that must be where I am missing it. Any idea which relaunch book it is? Thanks gang!
    USS INDEPENDENCE

"FREEDOM'S FLAGSHIP"

It seems to be a plot development in the novel Unity.

I am a little short on time right now, so I have provided only some copy and paste from the entry on Trills on Memory-Alpha.org.

Oh, and spoiler alert.

A link between the Trill symbionts and the alien parasites seen in TNG: "Conspiracy" is suggested in the non-canon DS9 short story "Sins of the Mother" (in the anthology The Lives of Dax) and the novel Unity. This was expanded upon in Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Volume 2. The neural parasite was first seen as it traveled in a comet passing close to the Trill homeworld. Audrid Dax and her husband, Jayvin Vod, went to the comet with a Federation team to examine it when Trill scanners showed a being similar to the symbiont in the comet. However, as the Federation was unaware of the Trills' symbiotic relationships yet, it was kept in secrecy. However, upon coming into contact with the chamber of the parasite, it bonded with Jayvin Vod and his symbiont, ultimately causing his death.

Hope this helps...

I had heard something like this, but didn't know they had taken it so far.

The only other big secret about Trills that I could come up with was the fact that despite what the Symbiosis commision says, more than 50% of the Trill population can successfully bond with a symbiote. But, since there are so few of them to go around, they maintain the lie. (Kind of creating a caste system; wonder how the FED feels about that?)?

There's no indication that joined Trill are specifically favoured for positions of authority, or that they have any particularly high place in Trill organizations. We've seen joined Trill in all sorts of professions. Additionally, the taboo against re-association might be specifically designed to mitigate the danger of a Symbiarchy developing (or as a reaction to Symbiarchy of the past). Also, the Guardians are explicitly not joined; it's possible the Symbiosis Commission is actually entirely made up of unjoined Trill, or that membership in the Commission (outside of acting as a field docent for initiates) is forbidden to the joined.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry