Thread: Star Trek: Neutral Zone

Star Trek: Neutral Zone

Since we have played so sporadically (it's probably been nearly half a year), I decided to type up a synopsis of each adventure so far, to help refresh all of our memories.

Here's the crew and what's happened so far in the two adventures we've played:

Star Trek: Neutral Zone
    U.S.S. Nez Perce, NCC-62891
    Captain Geoffrey Eagleheart – Human Captain
    Commander Da’Rell – Klingon First Officer
    Commander Levok – Vulcan Security Chief
    Lt. Commander Veroz Pa’dar – Cardassian Operations Officer
    Lt. Commander Khoal – Vulcan (actually Romulan) Chief Medical Officer

“Romulan Rift”
    Stardate 57246.0
    In the Charybdis sector of the Beta Quadrant, the U.S.S. Nez Perce is attacked by the smaller mercenary craft, Storm Shadow, and follows it into the Neutral Zone. This leads to the binary Dulteral system, where the crew discovers a small space station on the moon of a gas giant. As it begins to orbit the moon, the Akira-class starship finds itself being pulled into a powerful subspace rift! An away team beams down to the station and survives attacks by a deadly creature and Romulans. Working with the stranded Romulan commander, Validar, the adventurers acquire a device that generates antiprotons and use it in conjunction with their deflector shield to close the rift. After rescuing Romulan scientist T’Por, the crew evacuates the surviving crew of the I.R.W. Terrox to Starbase 157.

“Perdition’s Flames”
    Stardate 57476.4
    A half-century old Federation buoy appears outside the Styx Rift, so the Nez Perce enters the hazardous section of space to investigate. A distress call from the Constitution-class U.S.S. Potemkin is followed to a rogue Class-M moon, Perdition, which the Potemkin and the Klingon vessel Krotahl both lifelessly orbit. On Perdition are found two major encampments engaged in perpetual war: the Federation Fort Hope and the Klingon Sto-Vo-Kor. Captain Eagleheart attempts to persuade Captain Davis to stop fighting while simultaneously Da’Rell wrests leadership away from Commander Korris by killing him. The Klingons are suddenly transported into Fort Hope and a major battle ensues. The away team deciphers hieroglyphics inside an alien temple and uses teamwork to destroy many dilithium crystals, destroying the Beta XII-A entity that attempted to dupe them into helping it reproduce.
    Last edited by Doug Taylor; 02-25-2011 at 07:32 PM. Reason: grammar
    Doug Taylor
    Member of Decipher's Hall of Fame
    Currently running The One Ring RPG. I also occasionally run Villains & Vigilantes (our campaign is in year 25) and WEG d6 Star Wars (both games are mostly on hiatus) and an annual game based on The X-Files (using Conspiracy X).

Adding another crew member to our game (my son), we now have the following addition to our cast:

Ensign Steven Hutchins – Human Flight Control Officer

Episode 3
    “Safe Passage”

Stardate 57761.2
    After receiving repairs to various ship systems at Starbase 173, Starfleet orders the Nez Perce to withdraw the Federation consulate from a volatile situation in the remote Theta Takare trinary system near the Neutral Zone. For the last day of the journey the ship navigates at impulse through dangerous solar storms that create regular sensor ghosts. An away team is able to rescue Consul T’Sav and the other staff as angry native rioters storm the facility. Upon their return, the team learns that a disease has broken out amongst the crew. It is quickly discovered that this is due to recent tampering with the food replicators, and Dr. Khoal quickly devises a cure. As they depart the system, the Nez Perce is harassed by three Takare fighters, but fighters of their own disable the attackers in short order. Many hours later, the cruiser comes across the fleeing royal transport, under fire from their former subjects! Captain Eagleheart uses the Nez Perce’s shields to protect the smaller craft from the fighters, but a Romulan D’deridex-class warbird suddenly uncloaks before them! At the same time, they learn that a secondary virus is affecting many all over the ship, causing them to behave like zombies and attack their crewmates. Eagleheart exchanges pleasantries with Commander Voran of the I.R.W. Dakar, who reveals that the Romulans are behind both viruses and demands that the protected ship be released. The Nez Perce blasts the Dakar before it is able to cloak, capitalizing on the arrogance of their enemy. The two sides exchange fire and do a great deal of damage to each other, but eventually the Federation starship gains the upper hand and the Romulan vessel is forced to cloak and flee. Da’Rell secures the affected crew by gassing specific sections of the ship, while Khoal, after half a day of hard work, devises a cure using his own (Romulan) blood.
    Doug Taylor
    Currently running The One Ring RPG. I also occasionally run Villains & Vigilantes (our campaign is in year 25) and WEG d6 Star Wars (both games are mostly on hiatus) and an annual game based on The X-Files (using Conspiracy X).

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
    Oh, these look like some really really good episodes !

The stories remind me a lot of the better TNG episodes from the later part of the series - c. seasons 6, which I've been watching a lot of recently. I always watch TNG to get inspiration for new stories and adventures. Not only for CODA-play but for my on-line game as well.

I can't wait to see more of what happens to this crew !

Quote Originally Posted by Fugazi Grrl View Post
    Oh, these look like some really really good episodes !

The stories remind me a lot of the better TNG episodes from the later part of the series - c. seasons 6, which I've been watching a lot of recently. I always watch TNG to get inspiration for new stories and adventures. Not only for CODA-play but for my on-line game as well.

I can't wait to see more of what happens to this crew !
    Thanks so much for the compliments, Fugazi Grrl! Those are some of my favorite episodes as well!
    Doug Taylor

I decided that my latest summary was too wordy (I tend to get to verbose rather than keeping it short and sweet for a quick reminder of our past adventures), so here's the summary I'll use when we recpap. Note that there's nothing changed, really, it's just condensed and summarized more.

Episode 3
    “Safe Passage”
    Stardate 57761.2
    After receiving repairs at Starbase 173, Starfleet orders the Nez Perce to withdraw the Federation consulate from a volatile situation in the remote Theta Takare trinary system near the Neutral Zone. After navigating for a day at impulse through solar storms that create regular sensor ghosts, an away team rescues Vulcan Consul T’Sav and other staff as angry native rioters storm the facility. As they depart the system, Dr. Khoal quickly devises a cure for a disease spreading among the crew caused by recent tampering with the food replicators. The ship is harassed by Takare fighters, but fighters of their own disable the attackers in short order. Later, Captain Eagleheart uses the Nez Perce’s shields to protect the fleeing royal transport as more fighters attempt to destroy it. A Romulan D’deridex-class warbird uncloaks just as they learn that a secondary virus affects many all over the ship, causing them to behave like zombies and attack their crewmates. Commander Voran of the I.R.W. Dakar reveals that the Romulans are behind the virus and gloats, but Eagleheart capitalizes on his arrogance and blasts the enemy vessel before it is able to cloak. The two sides exchange fire and do a great deal of damage to each other, but eventually the Federation starship gains the upper hand and the Romulan ship is forced to flee. Da’Rell secures the affected crew by gassing specific sections of the ship, while Khoal, after half a day of hard work, devises a cure using his own (Romulan) blood.
    Doug Taylor

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
    I love reading your write-ups. It shows that your group has a great deal of fun with their game.

Here's last Friday's recap:

Episode 4
    “The Noble, the Treacherous, and the Hideous”
    Stardate 58129.9
    During a dangerous bar fight at Beldorak’s, a rough establishment on a small space station, Da’Rell slays two Nausicaan mercenaries, and a Flaxian assassin escapes after nearly assassinating Levok. During the commotion, old friend T’Por fakes a medical emergency, and Dr. Khoal transports him aboard the Nez Perce. He reveals that his fellow Romulans have recently made an archaeological discovery on Terriaval IV, where he believes they are also making illegal subspace weapons. The adventurers travel to the planet and find clues and evidence that lead below the surface. In hot catacombs deep underground they encounter Borg drones and discover an Iconian gateway. The team creates an improvised explosive, but the Borg attack as they depart. The crew bravely fights off the attackers, but Veroz is struck by Borg tubules. As they flee and destroy the gate, Khoal is able to stabilize the Ops Officer, and when they reach the ship he eradicates the invading Borg nanites, preventing complete assimilation.
    Doug Taylor

This entire campaign was recently in serious jeopardy, as the person who plays our Captain decided to drop. As I discussed his displeasure, it seemed that his biggest issue was being the decision-maker and leader. I encouraged him to try playing a lower ranked character.

So last week I sat down with him and his roomate, and we constructed a few new PCs. For him it will replace the Captain, and for the other player it will give him a DPC (Directed Player Character) to run when his Doctor isn't part of the main action. Both are making Security characters (a Bolian and a Human).

Because our Klingon First Officer isn't even a part of Starfleet (he's an exchange Officer from the Klingon Empire), it doesn't make sense to have him replace the Captain, so we're going to have him return to the KDF. The player who ran the Klingon stepped up to be the new leader, and he has created an Andorian Captain.

Having a Captain in the group makes things a lot easier on the GM, and really helps the players make their own decisions and not be led too much by the GM, I think.
    Last edited by Doug Taylor; 01-31-2012 at 01:14 PM.
    Doug Taylor

Just realized I'm a bit behind in posting these. Episode 5 here was played over about three sessions near the start of the year. There will likely be a few changes to the cast (which changed a bit for our second "season") as time goes by.

Season 2

U.S.S. Nez Perce, NCC-62891
    Captain Akeen Kalel – Andorian Captain
    Commander Levok – Vulcan Security Chief
    Lt. Commander Veroz Pa’dar – Cardassian Operations Officer
    Lt. Commander Dr. Khoal – Vulcan (actually Romulan) Chief Medical Officer
    Lieutenant Hikaru Mot – Bolian Chief Investigator
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade Steven Hutchins – Human Flight Control Officer
    Aerin Vhys – Human Military Consultant

Episode 5
    “The Crusoe Effect”
    Stardate 58253.0
    After the senior staff battles fantasy simulations in a holodeck simulation of The Lord of the Rings designed by Ensign Hutchins, the young man is promoted to Lieutenant, Junior Grade. Captain Eagleheart formally passes command to Andorian Akeen Kalel, and civilian military consultant Aerin Vhys joins the crew soon after at Starbase 234. Da’Rell departs to take command of the Klingon cruiser I.K.S. Bortas, and Veroz is temporarily promoted to First Officer. The Nez Perce travels to Rogun II, where the runabout U.S.S. Potomac crash-landed months earlier. The crew scouts the area and evades the native Huth, who they discover have been given improved technology (in violation of the Prime Directive) by crash survivor Ensign Davis. Under cover of darkness, Davis is snatched and beamed out, and the Away Team scuttles the shuttle and does its best to undo any contamination of the more primitive culture.
    Doug Taylor

And our session last Friday:

Episode 6
    “Dangerous Find”
    Stardate 58265.9
    Numerous minor malfunctions plague the Nez Perce. Starfleet directs Captain Kalel to purchase a salvaged vessel from the Ferengi, and the ancient Andorian sleeper ship shows numerous life signs. Safeguarded in a shuttle bay, the occupants quickly awaken. Kalel kindly welcomes Vulcan priest Tolaris and his eight Andorian followers aboard, setting them up in private quarters. Systems continue to act up, including the entire ship being flooded with neurozine gas, and Mot vigorously investigates a potential cause. At a feast held in their guests’ honor, the crew learns that Tolaris is actually a powerful mind lord who worships Ket-Cheleb, the Vulcan god of anger. He claims to have been the one who created peace on Andoria, forced into exile by Lor’Vela, a follower who overthrew him. Realizing that the Andorian government will likely not allow these dissidents to threaten their peace, Kalel persuasively convinces the adept to surrender to Starfleet, and agrees to advocate on their behalf.
    Last edited by Doug Taylor; 05-29-2012 at 03:54 PM.
    Doug Taylor

Has Tolaris really surrendered, or is he biding his time and studying the situation until he's ready to unleash his foolproof plan to rule the universe?
    + &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;<

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. Psalm 144:1

You know, that was certainly his intent, and still may be. But the guy playing him (who did an outstanding job) realized that - based on the offer made and the conditions he found himself in - that it would be wisest to acquiesce and 'surrender', at least for the time being.

Of course perhaps he'll bide his time and pop up again at a later time. Even Khan surrendered peacefully at the end of "Space Seed".
    Doug Taylor

The hallmark of an intelligent bad guy: biding his time until he can get away from the sanctimonious fools with all the phaser guns!

We played the latest segment, and found that it had been nearly half a year since we'd last played. This one had a very "Trek" feel to it, as the nanites being experimented with (a plot seed started by one of the players, see the "Narrator's Ready Room" for the whole story) ended up becoming a new life form and the ship's Captain and Doctor had an excellent discussion at the end about the ethics and morals of what they'd witnessed.

Episode 7
    “Infestation”
    Stardate 58305.3
    Mot determines that nanites, which Veroz had been experimenting with, escaped into the ship’s systems and are the cause of the malfunctions. The Nez Perce suddenly veers off-course at top speed and is attacked by many small unidentified ships. Captain Kalel launches multiple squadrons of the ship’s fighters, and they repel the attackers despite being outnumbered two to one. Contact is made with the aggressive Dygovian, who refuse assistance. Mot continues to investigate, eliminating suspects until it appears that Bajoran medic Lieutenant Latha framed Veroz. The command staff refuses to accuse him without proof, however, and eventually Mot deduces that Veroz, under the influence of an alien life form, assisted the nanites to further the creature’s reproductive cycle. The nanites in the ship centralize and form a tiny, living spacecraft, which exits the ship as a new life form.
    Doug Taylor