Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Official ICON Ships

I was under the impression that the Trek license was only months from expiring, and it was rather common knowledge that Paramount was looking to sell the rights to Trek RPG to another company if LUG was sold. Despite this, Wizzards bought out LUG, to kill ICON.

This was all from posts made here back in the day. I could have misunderstood or fallen for rumor of course.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

Quote Originally Posted by redwood973 View Post
    I was under the impression that the Trek license was only months from expiring, and it was rather common knowledge that Paramount was looking to sell the rights to Trek RPG to another company if LUG was sold. Despite this, Wizzards bought out LUG, to kill ICON.
    What made LUG's house system special, though?
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

I seem to recall there was much admiration for the system at the cons. There seemed to have been always talk coming out from the cons about such and such game being in development and wanting to use ICON (or existing games possibley switching over to ICON). And I recall ICON one an award or two didn't it?

Who knows though, perhaps Wizzards did buy LUG in hope they would keep the licence and that Paramounts fishing the licence if LUG was sold was just rumor.

It's just sad that LUG and ICON are gone.
    Steven "redwood973" Wood

"Man does not fail. He gives up trying."

Star Trek The next Generation RPG won an Origins award in 1998. Even back when LUG Trek was being made the company had issues with the license which is a shame really.
    Tractor beams are not designed for sling shotting Asteroids!! "What other use is there then?" T'Pak klingon/ vulcan hybrids response to fighting in an asteriod field.

I don't think they could've gotten the licence's by buying LUG, the contracts were between the owners and LUG, not WotC.

The reason for buying out LUG seems to have been simple, they did it becasue they could. LUG was (I'm told) very over extended financially, making them ripe for a buyout. There's no way WotC could pull that off with any of the more established companies, so LUG is a victim of "Vulture Capitalism"
    "Star Trekkin' across the universe, On the Starship Enterprise, Under Captain Kirk.
    Star Trekkin' across the universe, Boldly going forward 'cause we can't find reverse."
    Star Trekkin' by The Firm.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroArmour View Post
    I don't think they could've gotten the licence's by buying LUG, the contracts were between the owners and LUG, not WotC.

The reason for buying out LUG seems to have been simple, they did it becasue they could. LUG was (I'm told) very over extended financially, making them ripe for a buyout. There's no way WotC could pull that off with any of the more established companies, so LUG is a victim of "Vulture Capitalism"
    That I buy.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

You gonna Asspierce-me, or just send me a dead Rat?
    Fairly nifty, having the data there could still be handy, and such.

Oh, speaking of ICON, I'm going to be putting up new ICON stats someday, probably in about a week or two.
    "Always beware of anything said by a person with a smile." -Cronan-sama
    http://www.cronan-memorial.com

http://sites.google.com/site/memoryeta
    Initially Trek, but haphazard Archival Site, no need to make it a Wiki.

http://web.archive.org/web/200410151.../ssd/ssds.html
    Don Miller's SSDs for Star Fleet Battles are here, axing the URL past sfb takes you to the main site.