Thread: Alternate take on Stargate Atlantis

Alternate take on Stargate Atlantis

So I have warmed up to the Stargate franchise (not to SG:U, mind you!) and thought to myself, wouldn't the setting of Stargate Atlantis (at the beginning of season one) be very well suited as the setting of a prolonged RPG campaign?

I mean you have everything you need right there: Adventure, exploration, the unknown, being on your own, limited supplies and manpower and so much more.

You'd have to twist things a bit, so that you wouldn't relive the series, but have only some points in common, as let's say in keeping the Wraith. Exploring the City of the Ancestors could alone provide for multiple adventure sessions... I am very fond of that idea.

I'd probably use the Hollow Earth Expedition rules, as they are rather simply and allow for nice story telling.

What do you guys think of it? Totally lame or intersting idea?

No, this is a very interesting idea. It's just a shame that Alderac entertainment lost the rights to the franchise (although there is a fan made Stargarte Atlantis book out there somewhere). Oh, and don't worry about SGU: we here in the states only have 10 more episodes left in the "reality show disguised as science fiction".

The think I loved about SG:A was that this was a totally new universe..er galaxy. There was very little crossover with the previous show. The Wraith were great badguys; arrogant, cruel, powerful and very capable. Would have liked to see a few more wraith have more than a nameless part, but that also made them kinda scarier. We were a prey animal, not worthy of anything other than feeding. In the early episodes, they were almost unstopable, but by the end, they were getting killed by small arms fire.

Another complaint of mine about the series was they very quickly established a way to get more supplies/people/support to the City. And they seemed to not explore much after the 3rd season, including the city itself. The Pegasas galaxy had all sorts of mysteries, it was a shame it turned into a typical sci-fi action show.

Somewhere on Gateworld's message board, is a thread I started, with was basicly "Season 6; you make the episodes", which was very fun to write. I may have to see if I can find it and link it here.
    Or not.

But seriously, you should do your campaign.

although there is a fan made Stargarte Atlantis book out there somewhere
    Sure is...it's here

You might notice a rather familiar name in the credits for it
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...

I think I'm kinda familiar with the Atlantis sourcebook and spotted a familiar name in it's credits

Although I like most of the official AEG material that were put out for the SG-1 RPG, I still think the system is too complex for my taste (and for most of my players) therefore the idea to use HEX.

As I would go and twist around the plot of the show from the very beginning I wanted to remedy the Voyager-like problems Atlantis showed. (e.g. as Tricky mentioned the early Wraith seemed rather unstoppable and became cannon fodder later on. Which reminded me of the treatment the Borg got later on in Voyager...).

My take of the expedition wouldn't see the city being endangered immediately by power shortage and shield falilure, so that the first episodes of exploration could take part in the rather unusual RPG setting of being underwater.

And I'd have to decide if I want to stick with most of the main charcters of the show like Shepherd, MacKay, Zalenka, Weir and Beckett. In a way I kinda like 'em all. Getting Teyla would happen as well, though I figure you'd have to wait a little longer to meet her people in my take than on the acutal show.

In my first "draft" of the idea, the expedition team would be really much more multi-national than shown in the screen. I'd like to bring in some exploration teams (don't know the equivalent term for SG-teams in Pegasus) that are made up with people from England, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Germany and so on. I'd probably would give my players the option to form a team before hand, with quite free choice of the cultural background and have them work alongside the main cast of the show on Atlantis.

Yeah, I didn't love the first series very much. I kept comparing it to the movie and its characters to the movie characters. But SG:A was, as was said above, a totally different galaxy with totally different characters.
    We use headphones round these parts...
    We use a funny facebook status in the other parts...