Thread: North Star

North Star

Watched this episode of ENT; where the crew finds a planet inhabited by humans (living an Old West lifestyle) and aliens (who are the descendants of a ship that took the humans as slaves). In the end of the episode, they tell them they will send a ship back for them, and that they will rejoin humanity.

Besides the fact that we never see the Skagaran's again (like the Xindi, and Suliban), I wonder what happened to that "colony" of humans. I had this image of a person during the TOS era, being only a few hundred years removed from this episode, bringing a "cowboy sensiblity" to his 23 century life.

Any thoughts of something like this? I know it's dangerously close to Stargate, with its "planet where Rome never fell", "High tech Feudal Japan" 'what if' style worlds.

I really like the episode. It would've been neat to see a mixed Human/Skagarran society in the TNG era.

I can see Terra Prime-ists moving there, too...
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

My brother has added to the question: what about the 'neo-Roman', gangster and "space nazi" worlds Kirk visited? I instantly had this image of a guy from Sigma Iotia being like a character from a pulp detective novel, being all tough guy with a heart of gold (maybe doing all his logs like the lead in for a Sam Spade story...."It was a cold and dark night, but then in space it always is cold and dark. From the moment she materialized on my transporter pad, I knew she'd be trouble.")

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    My brother has added to the question: what about the 'neo-Roman', gangster and "space nazi" worlds Kirk visited? I instantly had this image of a guy from Sigma Iotia being like a character from a pulp detective novel, being all tough guy with a heart of gold (maybe doing all his logs like the lead in for a Sam Spade story...."It was a cold and dark night, but then in space it always is cold and dark. From the moment she materialized on my transporter pad, I knew she'd be trouble.")
    There was an early TNG novel featuring a Starfleet vessel crewed by inhabitants of Kirk's neo-Roman world. I haven't read it in over 20 years, and the details are a little fuzzy but I remember thinking it was a cool idea to have that world 100 years later as a new member of the Federation.
    Crimson Hand Gamers...why have your own site when there's Facebook?

Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by K.G. Carlson View Post
    There was an early TNG novel featuring a Starfleet vessel crewed by inhabitants of Kirk's neo-Roman world. I haven't read it in over 20 years, and the details are a little fuzzy but I remember thinking it was a cool idea to have that world 100 years later as a new member of the Federation.
    I only have the german copy, but if the title was translated closely the original book should have gone by the name "Captain's Honor".

Having read most of the early TNG books, I seem to recall that this one was rather unique. It featured a crew of Roman style soldiers and as antagonists a cat like people called the M'dok, I think...

Didn't do it for me back then. Might have to dig it out again, and give it another try though...

Edit: Here's the memory-alpha entry on the book "The Captains' Honor".
    Last edited by Cut; 03-11-2011 at 03:02 PM. Reason: added a link

Love the comic cover - "Fire at Will!"

Ah yes - the Iotian gangsters switching their tommyguns and suits for phasers and velour! I liked the 'fan' of Kirk, who had the habit... of talking... exactly like... him.