Thread: Cloaked Attack

Cloaked Attack

I think my many questions (posted on another thread) was a bit overwhelming, so I'll try doing them one at a time.

Keep in mind that I know that this game's combat system is meant to be more abstract, and that one can't always analyze it from a tactical point-of-view.

With Cloaked Attack, it allows the vessel to take a free Multiweapon maneuver. Does this mean that the ship does not have to get a Lock On (which is normally a prerequisite for Multiweapon)? In other words, does the ship have to get both a Lock On, and then Close by 2 range increments (thus requiring two rounds) to be able to pull this maneuver off?
    Doug Taylor
    Member of Decipher's Hall of Fame
    Currently running The One Ring RPG. I also occasionally run Villains & Vigilantes (our campaign is in year 25) and WEG d6 Star Wars (both games are mostly on hiatus) and an annual game based on The X-Files (using Conspiracy X).

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
    The rules seem pretty straight-forward that all you have as a prerequisite is the Close maneuver. Like you said, the system is more abstract. I think the CODA system is meant to play fast and have a very cinematic feel to it. And, so cutting out some of the crunchiness is necessary.

I would just go with what it says in the Starships book - with the Close prerequisite.

But, you could always require both a lock-on, and close in your own game. Some rules are better when made a bit more difficult (like the penalty we apply to the Ship's Counselor's Medicine skill), and some benefit from being made easier.

I prefer as few dice-rolls as necessary in a game-session, but if you like the idea of adding Lock On as a prerequisite to Cloaked Attack, go for it !

Quote Originally Posted by Fugazi Grrl View Post
    The rules seem pretty straight-forward that all you have as a prerequisite is the Close maneuver. Like you said, the system is more abstract. I think the CODA system is meant to play fast and have a very cinematic feel to it. And, so cutting out some of the crunchiness is necessary.

I would just go with what it says in the Starships book - with the Close prerequisite.

But, you could always require both a lock-on, and close in your own game. Some rules are better when made a bit more difficult (like the penalty we apply to the Ship's Counselor's Medicine skill), and some benefit from being made easier.

I prefer as few dice-rolls as necessary in a game-session, but if you like the idea of adding Lock On as a prerequisite to Cloaked Attack, go for it !
    Yeah, I'm pretty comfortable with going with my gut on these things. That's exactly how I ruled it (requiring just what is shown, the Close maneuver) during our practice session. I was just curious if anybody else had come across this before, or if there was a general rule on this one.
    Doug Taylor
    Member of Decipher's Hall of Fame
    Currently running The One Ring RPG. I also occasionally run Villains & Vigilantes (our campaign is in year 25) and WEG d6 Star Wars (both games are mostly on hiatus) and an annual game based on The X-Files (using Conspiracy X).