Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 Best Animated Series On TV

Post 5 Best Animated Series On TV

Let's keep this to American TV. What are your 5 favorite 'toon series?

Mine?

1.) Starblazers
    2.) Flash Gordon (1980's)
    3.) Jonny Quest
    4.) Star Trek
    5.) Battletech

------------------
    "This battlestation is now the ultimate power in...who's hailing us? I don't care who these 'Borg' are, THEY CAN WAIT!!!"
    Admiral Motti, now Eighth Of Eight

[This message has been edited by Desslok (edited 06-26-2001).]

1. Jonny Quest

2. Star Trek (show me another cartoon that had work by Larry Niven and other top-rated SF authors!)

3. Captain America/Thor/Iron Man/Submariner -- I only vaguely recall these from childhood, but they were usually stripped into local kid's shows.

4. 8th Man - old black & white anime

5. Thunderbirds - okay, it's not 'traditional' animation, but I still love that stuff.

Bob

Here it goes;

1) Battle of the Planets
    2)Johnny Quest
    3) Batman (both animated series)
    4) Justice league ( think that was the name any way.) Particularly the League of Evil stories.
    5)Godzilla (from about 15 years ago)

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!

Arrow

1) Robotech
    2) GI Joe
    3) Battletech
    4) Transformers
    5) Voltron

------------------
    "Your job is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -Patton

"Like my father said, never start a fight, but always be sure to finish it."

-CAPT Sheridon, B5

"Know you enemy and know yourself and you will be victorious."

-CMDR Riker quoting The Art of War

the five favorites of my childhood were:
    Masters of the Universe
    Transformers
    Thundercats
    Silverhawks
    Superfriends

My favorite more recent ones
    Animaniacs
    Simpsons
    Tiny Toons
    Xmen
    Futurama

------------------
    Games. The Final Product. These are the books of the Star Trek RPG. Their five year license. To breathe new life into get togethers. To boldly play what no fan has played before!

ARGH!

Only Five.

Okay.

5) X-Men (not X-Men:Evolution which sucks big time): The finest Marvel based TV project ever.
    4) Batman (1990's): Saw the first episode years ago on British Saturday morning TV with no big set-up or anything, just the presenter saying "And now the world television premiere of Batman". Suffice to say I didn't think it was going to be up to much, that lasted about 10 seconds into the opening titles.
    3) Tenchi Muyo: I can get away with this because they're showing a butchered version on a children's channel on Satelite although I am talking about the original version.
    2) Superman (1990's): Get's this high on the list for the fight in the third episode between Supes and the big robot. Shows why the man ain't called Average-Man.
    1)(tie) Samurai Pizza Cats and Thundercats: My absolute all-time favourite cartoons, Thundercats for, well, just about everything (except Snarf) and Samurai Pizza Cats for taking the mickey out of just about every other cartoon of the time.

By the way, the Justice League cartoon mentioned previously might be Super Friends although I can't be 100% sure as I've never actually seen it (although it apparantluy had just about every member of the JLA in it at one time or another).

------------------
    Kid Mama-san, what do they call that thing they shoot the cats out of?
    Mama-san I'm not sure, but I think they call it a catapult.
    Kid Boy, I'm glad I didn't have to say that line...

Samurai Pizza Cats

1 Superman: The Animated Series (late 90's) - Quite possibly the best rendition of Superman to ever make it to screen.
    2 Batman: The Animated Series (90's) - Simply fantastic. If they want to revive the Batman movie franchise, they should fire everyone involved with the last two, and put Paul Dini in charge of it, with carte blanche.
    3 Batman Beyond - I wasn't expecting much from this show, but I've been pleasantly suprised. Terry McGinnis is becoming worthy of the name. (especially as of Return of the Joker)
    4 South Park - If you can get past the gross-outs, this show is just damned funny. Definitely NOT for kids...you wouldn't think that needs saying.
    5 Simpsons - Still crazy after all these years...and getting crazier as time goes on, it seems.

I'd've liked to have put Tenchi Muyo! on the list, but..well...it's not an American series.

(As an aside: several cartoon series have had episodes penned by noted SF writers. Immediatly coming to mind - Transformers: Beast Wars had one done by Robert Forward, and someone (Diane Duane, I believe) did at least one episode of Duck Tales.)

Animaniacs
    Invader Zim - old idea, with new twists and great artwork, and very funny
    Voltron
    City of Gold - I can't remember the exact title, but it was on when I was a kid. Had 3 kids looking for the lost city of gold. Recollections are fuzzy, but I remember really liking it. Anyone else see this?

Alison

Good topic!

5. Thundercats - Decent story, nice animation. But, the sword and glove were just the coolest weapons. I loved the story with Liono's Rite of Ascension. Great job.

4. GI Joe - "Yo Joe!" OK, corny battle cry, but the series was pretty cool. Besides, when I was collecting the action figures when the series and comic book were running, it was cool to see which of my favorite Joes and Cobras would be in the episode.

3. Battle of the Planets - How could anyone not like this cartoon. Cool vehicles, martial arts, and monsters galore.

2. Speed Racer - OK, the plot was pretty simple and the animation was OK. The characters were kind of lame, but I could never turn this show off when it was on. The Mach 5 is by far one of the coolest vehicles of all time.

1. Batman: The Animated Series - No, not Batman Beyond and not the one when he was wearing the black bat on his chest. I mean the one from the 1990s with the darkest art, chilling music, and great stories, with the yellow and black symbol on his chest. By far, this is the greatest animation work done of all time. I even have an original limited animation cell (out of 500) of Batman and Catwoman fighting on a rooftop. Love that cell. :-)

Honorable Mention
    Voltron (the lion version) - A good story that actually didn't seem to jump around too much like most anime shows that are aired. Good characters with a great story. It didn't fit into my top 5, but I needed to put it somewhere.

Cool

I saw that cities of gold show, but not much of it. It seemed pretty cool.

------------------
    Games. The Final Product. These are the books of the Star Trek RPG. Their five year license. To breathe new life into get togethers. To boldly play what no fan has played before!

Talking

It's been a while since i have posted to these boards, but i have found a great topic I can reply to

1.StarBlazers (yes an import, but has left a great impresion on so many young minds)

2. Transformers (nuff said)

3.Scooby Doo (I know you all wanted to say it, but you were all afriad ) It's a freaking classic!

4. Voltron (The ones with the vehicals, not the sappy Lions {another import})

5. The Super Friends (the only time, untill recently, you could see the Batman as part of the JLA.

FRED

Hands down, the _BEST_ Animated Series ever was:

Invasion: America

So, naturally, it was cancelled after a season.

Seriously, how many animated shows have a multi-episode story arc and charcters that: a) bleed b) wear different clothes every episode and c) go to the bathroom. It's also the only animated show that has managed to make <gasp> cry.

I don't think that anything I've ever seen can hold a candle to it; so I will leave slots 2-5 blank.

-R

[This message has been edited by Roxby (edited 06-27-2001).]

WOW, tough, so here is my breakdown:

SciFi
    1) Star Trek
    2) MiB (sue me I like it, right blend of humor and action.)
    3) Futurama
    4) Sealab 2020 (Hanna Barbera)
    5) Spaaaaace Ghost! (possibly the best SF toon in the 60's)

Honorable mention: Jonny Quest, Godzilla (BOTH series, the Centropolis one actually fixes the movie), Aeon Flux, The Maxx,any DC hero show by WB

Comedy:
    1) Ren and Stimpy (funnier then hell)
    2) South Park
    3) The Simpsons
    4) Clerks (never given a chance, damn you ABC)
    5) Pinky and the Brain

Honorable mention to: Histeria, Animaniacs, Rocko's Modern Life, and the Critic

Crime Snoopers: Yeah I made this a separate Genre

1) Scooby Doo (EXCEPT those eps with that %#@%$&* Scrappy)
    2) Clue Club
    3) Devlin
    4) Speed Buggy
    5) Speed Racer

Anime:
    1) Gundam (Any and All)
    2) Macross (same)
    3) Blue Sub 6
    4) Big O
    5) Battle of the Planets

Good category, but yeah, only five??? OUCH!

American Anime or Japaneses to American conversions.

1. Robotech (One of the greatest Space Operas of our generation.)
    2. Starblazers (Bigger fan following than Star Trek)
    3. Futurama (I love the writing, I just wish they had more episodes)
    4. Transformers (U.S.)
    5. Simpsons (Classic)

Import T.V. or O.V.A I know that I've repeated Transformers but Japan carried on with the cartoon where American T.V. left off.

1. Macross Plus (::STEALTH:
    2. Transformers
    3. Gundam
    4. Bubblegum Crisis and Crash
    5. Record of the Lodoss War

------------------
    Fate protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise.

1) Gargoyles--if you haven't ever seen this, give it a try. It's got Shakespear, Magic, Guns, evil Villains, and more voices of ex Next Gen cast members than you can shake a stick at. Great story arcs, tremendous characterization.

The others, which other people have talked about.
    2) WB Batman
    3) Powerpuff girls
    4) Battle for the Planet
    5) Star Blazers

Honorable mension go to the WB Superman, something that finally made Supes interesting for me.

Alex