Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My house rules:

Quote Originally Posted by splatomat View Post
    I agree with the OP about System Operations. I house-ruled it in a very similar fashion. I took the list of 'systems' detailed in the sidebar and split them evenly into three piles organized by the three divisions of Starfleet: Command, Science (including Medical), and Operations (inccluding Eng and Security/Tactical). I tried to make sure each of the three skills included systems that were important.

In addition to feeling more balanced (in my eyes) it also has given the players the chance to feel like they're investing in a niche. If they choose to diversify, there's an actual difference in skill level between their character and someone who chose to really focus (instead of just a +2 difference).
    I like this take on things best. I may just have to do the same thing.

Splatomat, do you have your house rules written up so that you could share them here in more detail, so as to make my pilfering much easier?

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
    Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦○○] Dmg 9/11 | Edge 8 | Injury 16/18
    Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane, Foe-slaying
    Shadow bane, Skirmisher

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
    I like the CODA rules as they stand. Because if Captain Northcote ordered his tactical officer to take the helm and he stood there going "D'oh ! I don't know how to do dat, boss !"...

Northcote would probably kick that guy out the airlock, giving him a appropriate T. C. McQueen chew-out at the same time.

"Did you go to Starfleet Academy, or Dumba$$ University !? Hit that console or you'll find a size-12 boot on your six !"

Of course, Northcote is a pretty easygoing guy unless someone is blowing holes in his ship. And he does require people know their jobs. Including a standing rule - no civilians on away teams unless they can rate pretty good on the phaser range. He wants everyone on an away mission to be able to cover the other members of the team in a pinch.

Starfleet officers are trained in a wide variety of skills - especially shipboard systems. So they can handle a variety of duties (Capable & Intrepid professional abilities...).

I like the CODA rules as they stand. Because if Captain Northcote ordered his tactical officer to take the helm and he stood there going "D'oh ! I don't know how to do dat, boss !"...

Northcote would probably kick that guy out the airlock, giving him a appropriate T. C. McQueen chew-out at the same time.
    Notting forbids the tactical officer to take a few levels in the skill needed to pilot the ship. He just will be not that good as the flight control officer.
    Ardet Nec Consumitur' / Burns but doesn't decay / Brandt maar vergaat niet.

As long as it doesn't create too many numbers, too many crunches, and too many non-cinematic rules.

The reason I play CODA is because it is easy, and really creates high-powered characters. Our Narrator has a rule. No PC can have fewer than 7 advancements. Below that and they are an NPC. - a lowly redshirt -

As long as the PCs have it easy, and we get to concentrate on story, and character development that's what makes it fun in our group. I think it was in the LUG rules, their rule of thumb...

Never let the rules get in the way of the story.

We have actually gone whole play-sessions without rolling a die.

I run a game where the players aren't Starfleet officers; they're a group of assorted mercenaries (1 each of Rogue, Soldier, Scientist, Diplomat). Using the core rules, only Scientists even have System Operations on their professional skill list. This very quickly actually LED to the "dur I don't know how to do that" scenario.

It also made the Scientist the "go to guy" for everything, which bred some resentment. That was part of the reason I diversified the skill (and enabled me to add at least one of the skills to the professional lists of the other classes).

I don't have my rules written up in any nice format, but I'm pretty sure it was something like:

SysOps: Command (includes Command, Flight Control, Navigation, Communications)

SysOps: Sci-Med (includes Sensors, Cloaking Device, Environmental Controls, Holosystems)

SysOps: Operations (includes Operations, Tactical, Transporter, Deflectors)

It's not as clean as I'd like it to be, but I thought it modeled the "skill group" idea and compromised between making things too easy (default) and too hard (individual system skills). The lists aren't perfectly equal, but I've found each of them contains one frequently required skill check (flying the ship, using sensors, and using weapons/shields). There is nothing stopping any character from spending points to raise the other skills. It might draw a point here or there away from Ranged Combat (oh noes!).

I also allow any character to make the other checks untrained as long as they have at least 1 point in one of the three skills. So someone with SysOps: Command can operate the transporters in a pinch (using just their INT bonus) but there is a VERY noticeable difference in their ability than someone who is an Engineer. In emergencies, and/or with checks with high TNs, it becomes necessary to spend Courage points or work together (both of which I approve of).

I don't let rules get in the way of a story, but I want them to make sense to me.

But with Coda there was nothing stopping the players from putting ranks into System Operations as a non-professional skill. Sure it costs a little more but I don't let players get snooty and resentful to another character when they could put some ranks in a skill at a slightly higher cost.

I don't like them min-maxer types getting uppity
    Crimson Hand Gamers...why have your own site when there's Facebook?

First of all, I want to say I don't want to come off like I'm ridiculing anyone's house rules. The house rules we write for CODA, or any other game, reflect the way we like to play and enjoy the game.

And I can see the benefits in consolidating the skills. It honestly sounds like a good idea, but we have so many character sheets we'd have to do a lot of sheet re-writing. Over 300. The same problem we face if we want to give ICON a try, or try Tamanny's GURPS Star Trek homebrew.

I think the houserules are good, and well written and well thought-out. And I didn't meant to come off as snarky in commenting on them.

I don't let players get snooty and resentful to another character when they could put some ranks in a skill at a slightly higher cost.
    KG Carlson, it sounds like you run a good, friendly gaming table. And Star Trek always seems to have a go-to guy in each crew - Spock, and Data both fall into that category.

Fugazi Girl, I for one didn't get any negative attitude from anything you've posted here, I was just making sure that I wasn't being offensive.And as for my other comment

I don't let players get snooty and resentful to another character when they could put some ranks in a skill at a slightly higher cost.
    I probably didn't clarify that enough, and I feel like a broken record but I try always to avoid the agonies of games past when I run. Some games, noteably those with character classes like D&D, can end up favoring some classes over others and therefore limiting the enjoyment of players who prefer other classes This may lead to one or two characters getting more than their share of the spotlight.

In Coda, although certain Professions might have an advantage at certain roles, but for a few extra picks everyone could make their character, if not essential at least relavent and able to participate. I guess the post by splatomat about his resentful characters struck a chord with me and I responded harshly. No criticism intended.
    Crimson Hand Gamers...why have your own site when there's Facebook?