Thread: Another SciFi setting goes...all Stargates have been buried...

Another SciFi setting goes...all Stargates have been buried...

I have found this article over at Gateworld

It seems that with the cancelation of SG:U the entire franchise was being delt the deathblow. The two already written scripts for direct to DVD movies (one for SG-1 and one for SG-A) are to be shelved indefinately and the franchise owners are letting go of the people that have been behind the series for the last 17 years or so.

I couldn't have cared less for SG:U, but in the last years I grew rather fond of the older SG-1 series and the adventures of the Atlantis Expedition in the Pegasus Galxy as depicted in SG-A.

With this one (if not) the most active SciFi universe of the last decade is coming to an end. This alone sadens me, but it also sadens me, that there is just no good other SciFi show around, that to my taste is worth watching...

Am I missing something? Is there something out there and what do you think: Will Stargate return in one way or another in the forseeable future?

I dunno...I'm of two minds about a "return" to Stargate.

Part of me desperately wants more. SG-1 and SG-A were my favourite sci-fi shows of all time (though I hated SG-U with a loathing that bordered on the pathological...friggin' BSG with wormholes), and the thought of no new ones leaves me...just sad.

At the same time, I don't want to see endlees new franchises popping up. SG-1 and SG-A got it right; they hit all the right notes, had the right mix of drama, action, humour and fun. SG-U showed the problem with a lot of "reboots" these days: for some reason, studio execs want them "darker, grittier and edgier".

My taste in sci-fi does not extend to this, and continual new versions of the SG universe are likely to continue down this path.

I have 15 seasons of awesome sci-fi to enjoy with Stargate - sometimes less is more.

In the meantime, I will always relish my time with Jack, Daniel, Sam, Teal'c, John, Aiden, Rodney, Ronan and Teyla as some of the most fun I've ever had.
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...

If Hollywood has taught me one thing is that no idea ever dies.

When i was a kid, after Return of the Jedi, we all assumed more movies were coming. They never did. Star Wars movies became tv cartoons and books and comics, and we all figured we'd never see a lightsaber on the silver screen again.

And then, Lucas announced he was just waiting for technology to catch up with his vision. Sure, it was the prequel trilogy, but still, it was Star Wars.

So, yeah, someday there will be another SG show, but it will never match the original, even if it's a Holonovel.

Shame about the movies; I know a lot of fans wanted one last look at SG:A, and the subplot of Earth in an interglactic war woulda made a great movie too. And this last season of SG:U has actually been a lot more like the other SG shows, but it's too little too late.

You guys have 17 seasons to rewatch. Over 300 episodes of SG-1 and SG:A alone. THREE. HUNDRED. EPISODES.

SG was the Coronation Street of SF.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    You guys have 17 seasons to rewatch. Over 300 episodes of SG-1 and SG:A alone. THREE. HUNDRED. EPISODES.
    Well, Star Trek has 28 Seasons and yet I'm sad that there are no new adventures. Not being too fond of the reboot, I have a lot material to rewatch, but still... And we have just 15 seasons two watch. SG:U has nothing to do with what we're talking about here

I'm pretty sure one of the reasons the reboot is terrible is because there's 28 seasons of Trek. The title becomes some vague, unwieldy term absorbing a slew of procedurally-unrelated products. It's not like there's no descendants of what we watch in other things (just like BSG is directly descended from DS9) but it's not something that's going to be given the same brand name. It's not like they buried the writing team along with gates...
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

By the by, I have heard that Sigh-Fie is planning on another BSG show.
    Hopefully, this will be more of what we thought Caprica was to be, and not what Caprica WAS.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    By the by, I have heard that Sigh-Fie is planning on another BSG show.
    Hopefully, this will be more of what we thought Caprica was to be, and not what Caprica WAS.
    Oh gawd...I never bothered with Caprica because of what the last few seasons of BSG were (ie: TV to slit your wrists by, populated with the most stupid characters in the history of science fiction). Now they're making another one??
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldaron View Post
    Oh gawd...I never bothered with Caprica because of what the last few seasons of BSG were (ie: TV to slit your wrists by, populated with the most stupid characters in the history of science fiction). Now they're making another one??
    Amen and amen!

I don't understand you guys. Next up you'll be telling me you hate Deadwood or The Wire.

I don't understand you guys. Next up you'll be telling me you hate Deadwood or The Wire.
    Haven't watched either, so I can't comment

I'm almost afraid to ask why.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldaron View Post
    Haven't watched either, so I can't comment
    Some here.

It just didn't happen yet. Not due to a specific reason, just haven't had a chance yet.

Deadwood - I have an aversion to westerns. I think it's a trauma from my childhood or something, but I hate them. The moment I see the dirt road through a town, timber boardwalks in front of stores, and people riding horses and carrying six-shooters, my brain just switches off. It's like some people hate sci-fi, or cartoons...can't explain it, just do.

Can't even watch the classics: Tombstone, Shootout at the OK Corral, etc. Had real trouble with A Fistful of Datas at first, until I saw the humourous side.

The Wire - it's never been on TV down here in a timeslot in which I've been able to watch it.