Thread: One Ring RPG news

One Ring RPG news

News about the upcoming One Ring RPG set between the Hobbit & LOTR:

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/19613.html

Another review of the One Ring RPG
    http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/15/15457.phtml

It is a delightful game.

It is pretty straight forward and simple. I am looking forward to using it to bring my daughter & son into RPGs when they get older. Considering the Hobbit films coming out I think there will be a resurgence of interest in the genre. I am planning on saddling both the CODA & Cubicle 7 game systems. My heart still lies with CODA though.
    the roads goes ever on..... so buy a volvo!

"don't tell the elf"-Gimili at the Hornburg LOTR TTT

What about second breakfast?- Pippin, LOTR FOTR

"My precious"- my treo 700 phone/PDA

Is it just me or does this version just not do it for anyone else? I looked at it and it seemed to be just a dirty contraption that doesn't capture my interest. I am not sure how else to put it. To simple maybe?
    USS INDEPENDENCE

"FREEDOM'S FLAGSHIP"

I've now run it a couple of times and it is a very well done system and quite fun. Very different in many ways (more narrative than crunchy), but it really captures the feel of Tolkien's world.

Play seems to be broken down into an 'Adventuring Phase' and a 'Fellowship Phase' where the PCs hunker down for the winter and upgrade/advance.

The Adventuring Phase is broken down into Combat, Encounters, and Journeys, the latter of which has components similar to a board game.

I really like it, and the company (Cubicle 7) has excellent customer support and a thriving community that has a lot of helpful play aids.
    Doug Taylor
    Member of Decipher's Hall of Fame
    Currently running The One Ring RPG. I also occasionally run Villains & Vigilantes (our campaign is in year 25) and WEG d6 Star Wars (both games are mostly on hiatus) and an annual game based on The X-Files (using Conspiracy X).

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Smile

I love Cubicle 7's take on Doctor Who. I didn't think I would being such a fan of FASA's Doctor Who game. But, C7 did a great job of capturing the feel of the new show.

Having said that, I've not jumped into the One Ring game yet. But, only because the setting seems a bit restrictive. But, the more I hear about it the more interesting it becomes to give it a whirl.

Hello FugaziGrrl

The One Ring is really good. My copy is currently on extended loan but I gave it a read (as well as being a playtester on it in the early stages)and it turned out great.

Playtested Doctor Who too by the way

Allen

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
    I love C7's Doctor Who game. We play that one all the time. How similar, if at all, is the One Ring system ?

Quote Originally Posted by Fugazi Grrl View Post
    I love C7's Doctor Who game. We play that one all the time. How similar, if at all, is the One Ring system ?
    It's completely different, although interesting. THe basic mechaic behind TOR is that you roll one feat die (1D12) and a number of success dice (d6s) eqaul to your skill level. The basic idea is to beat the target number.

The feat die is special, with number from 1-10, with a Gandafl rune and a Eye of Sauron rune. If the Gandalf rune comes up the player succeeds in the task regardless of his die total. If the eye comes up he fails, also regardless of the total. There are often other effects that can come up with the rune results.

The Success dice are also a bit funky. First off if any 6's pop up they kick up the quality of the success. One 6 is a great success, and two or more 6s mean an extraordinary success. The 1-3 numbers of the dice have boxes around them, and are read as zeros when the character is weary.

Strangely attributes don't usually affect most rolls, but can be invoked for a bonus (equal to the attribute) by spending a point of Hope.