Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting a new campaign and looking for some tips.

The biggest difference in D10 vs. D20 is that the D20 is a true Platonic solid and the D10 is not. The difference in rolls is a matter of physics, not statistical analysis.

That said, it must be noted that gaming dice are not made to Vegas standards, and the varying mass deficit of engraved numbers must be taken into account.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    It ususally didn't get him anywhere, though...
    But in a RPG, most of the fun is getting out of the mess you created.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton View Post
    The biggest difference in D10 vs. D20 is that the D20 is a true Platonic solid and the D10 is not. The difference in rolls is a matter of physics, not statistical analysis.

That said, it must be noted that gaming dice are not made to Vegas standards, and the varying mass deficit of engraved numbers must be taken into account.
    There may be something to that, but I'd wager than any such imperfection would just as likely favor any number as another and even then, you'd probably have to roll the dice more times than you are likely do to so in a "normal lifetime" of game-playing to make it noticeable.

And certainly not to the degree mentioned earlier.

Because of that, I seriously doubt any game manufacturer basing a game around a percentile system would base it around the specific dice being used (yes, I know the d20s were included in the 1e boxed set, but d10s were in my 2e Deluxe set and TCS set) - they were likely only focused on the math.

The bad guys are different in TOS... The Klingons were the dangerous, "don't turn your back on them" types, while the Romulans adhered to a code of military honour - still dangerous, but noble with it. What a difference a new show can make...

I'd establish an 'opposite number' for your crew's commanding officer, someone like Kang or Kor, for them to encounter now and then. Nothing says TOS quite like a temporary alliance with Klingons to defeat a bigger menace -- and then have the Klingon captain's ambitious subordinate try to stage a mutiny against his 'weaking' leader.

Okay, maybe a bit obvious, but it's in keeping with 1967's stories!

Quote Originally Posted by Nuclear Fridge View Post
    The most straight-forward version is the one wherein the enemy may be easily defeated simply by putting aside hostilities and figuring something out. Two sides may have half of the vaccine to a dangerous intelligent virus, or whatever.

Since every group has at least one player trying to kill everyone even remotely threatening, this is pretty easy to achieve in RPGs.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton View Post

I doubt that the weights are that significant as described. Also on most d10s the distribution of 'high' and 'low' is consistant. If you do think that a d10's weight is off, though, keep in mind that the highest weight (for paint) would have the '8' on the bottom, or on the top (for etching). On all the d10s that I have, this would result in a '1' in the opposite face. This wouldn't explain the discrepancy as described, since the wrong number (a 9) is popping up - opposite of the '0'.

Sometimes, it's really just chaos at work.

On a d20, for instance, I tend to roll a much higher number of critical hits and misses than most people - so much so that I often go diceless when I serve as a GM. This is with any d20, mind you, including ones that other people are using and are not getting that result.

In a sense, I can only call this 'luck' (both good and bad), since chaos seems to work out on the extremes for me with a d20. Sometimes it really is just the way the die happen to fall.
    "Thank god I'm only watching the game... controlling it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Nuclear Fridge View Post
    The bad guys are different in TOS... The Klingons were the dangerous, "don't turn your back on them" types, while the Romulans adhered to a code of military honour - still dangerous, but noble with it. What a difference a new show can make...

I'd establish an 'opposite number' for your crew's commanding officer, someone like Kang or Kor, for them to encounter now and then. Nothing says TOS quite like a temporary alliance with Klingons to defeat a bigger menace -- and then have the Klingon captain's ambitious subordinate try to stage a mutiny against his 'weaking' leader.

The opposite number is a great idea, may make it a few as part of the time they'll be in the Triangle...although you can never really keep a good foil down, can you?

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    The most straight-forward version is the one wherein the enemy may be easily defeated simply by putting aside hostilities and figuring something out. Two sides may have half of the vaccine to a dangerous intelligent virus, or whatever.

Since every group has at least one player trying to kill everyone even remotely threatening, this is pretty easy to achieve in RPGs.
    Thankfully I have on the crew a PC whose role is that of Diplomatic Adjutant for the captain...I figure Star Fleet reviewed Kirk's 5 year mission and deemed it prudent for captains.

All of the players have made characters, so here's what we have:

The ship: USS KIDD, a refurbished Locknar that is basically a NX version of a light-cruiser. It was refurbished following an Orion ambush in the Triangle that killed most of the senior officers.

With a crew of 263 and slightly modified to allow exploration, it's a means of testing the feasibility of increasing the numbers of explorers out in the galaxy for when a Connie isn't available/required.

Captain (PC) - Previously served as XO on a Connie, assigned to the ship to give him his own command and because they want an experienced captain to give her a shakedown.

First Officer (NPC) - An Andorian, who served as the XO of the KIDD and took command after the Triangle ambush, somewhat disgruntled that he wasn't named captain, but he lacks the experience of the captain.

Second Officer (PC) - The chief Helmsman, promoted to LTJG after the academy and has served mostly in the military operations command.

Chief Medical Officer (PC) - Spent a lot of time in galaxy exploration until a posting teaching at the academy.

Diplomatic Adjutant (PC) - A natural talent for making friends and influencing people coupled with experience as a Communications Officer translated in this posting.

So far I have backgrounds of the bridge crew done, the ship stats, and the ship's crew stats made.

Should be fun.

Looks as if you have some possible plot threads to follow there! A few thoughts...

Where was the Kidd ambushed? Was the ship about to find something the Orions didn't want it to see? An illegal dilithium mine (re-using the sets from Devil In The Dark), with slave labour hacking the crystals out of the bedrock?

The Andorian XO might have problems with Orions after losing so many of his former crew and colleagues.

A Federation Ambassador or Commissioner may have to hitch a ride to a vital meeting - and the Kidd is the only ship in the area. Where is the meeting, and who else will be there...?