Thread: New Star Trek Novel - Eugenics War

Question New Star Trek Novel - Eugenics War

This is the first Star Trek book I've ever been tempted to read. I saw it at a bookstore last night. Says it tells the story of the Eugenics War and about Kahn's rise to power. Has anyone read it or heard anything about it? Is it good?

Alison

I heard that it's pretty good, but it's more of an Assignment: Earth story than a Star Trek story (like something that might have been broached had Assignment: Earth actually succesffully become a spinoff of Star Trek). Lots of crossovers with guest stars in that era, characters we've seen, etc. Also deals with the ramifications of the Enterprise crew leaving 23rd century technology with the Navy.

Question

Maybe Series 6 will be Assignment: Earth.

------------------
    Games. The Final Product. These are the books of the Star Trek RPG. Their five year license. To breathe new life into get togethers. To boldly play what no fan has played before!

After watching Assignment: Earth on video I have to say that a Gary Seven based show might possibly be a better idea than ENTERPRISE.

------------------
    Kid Mama-san, what do they call that thing they shoot the cats out of?
    Mama-san I'm not sure, but I think they call it a catapult.
    Kid Boy, I'm glad I didn't have to say that line...

Samurai Pizza Cats

Thumbs up

I'm about a third of the way through this book at the moment. It's a good read so far. One of the things I like about it is the way the author is dropping little hints about other cases that Seven and Roberta have worked on. It seems to give a sort of X-Files flavor to the story. He is also dealing well with the ethical debate about eugenics. Since I am in the middle of running a playtest adventure in GURPS Transhuman Space, this is particularly appropriate. Transhuman Space is about the way we will use genetic engineering to direct our own evolution for better or worse. Go ahead and read it, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

------------------
    "The best diplomat I know is a fully charged phaser bank" -Montgomery Scott

It's a shame that the man who played Gary passed away a couple of years ago. They could make a modern X-Files/Mission: Impossible type series. It would still be worth it... maybe with Gary Seven's successor.

Thumbs up

You're thinking of Robert Lansing who did Gary Seven. He was also in Kung-Fu the Legend Continues as Capt. Paul Blaisdell(if my memory and spelling is right!). Yes, I agree. A series with Gary Seven and Roberta Lincoln would be much better than the new series they're coming up with now!. But who would you get to play them???

Wink

The novel even has Roberta Lincoln wondering if Seven will have his friend McCall 'equalize' an assassin. Talk about your strange cross-references!

------------------
    "The best diplomat I know is a fully charged phaser bank" -Montgomery Scott

Thumbs up

I just read the entire book and it really rocks. I particulary liked the cameos by various characters that appeared in the trek universe. One thing I found interesting was the relationship between Gary Seven and Khan. In many ways, this served as the focus of the story. Overall a very good book.
    P.S. My reaction when I learned that part 2 will not come out until spring 2001:

------------------
    Remember, once you have thrown the switch on Mr. Photon Grenade, he is no longer your friend.

Question

Spring 2001 or do you mean Spring 2002?

Smile

OOOOPS! Sorry, I meant Spring 2002. See why I am ?

------------------
    Remember, once you have thrown the switch on Mr. Photon Grenade, he is no longer your friend.