Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Atlantic class queries...

New Atlantic class queries...

I have absolutely fallen in love with this ship, and I think it would be perfect for the sort of series I want to run ASAP (where the characters will be doing support for a new colony right out on the fringes of the UFP).

Does anyone have any information about it? I'm happy to just make it up, but if there is something (deckplans, CODA stats, etc) out there, I'd love to see them.

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...

I'd never heard of or seen this thing until this very moment. What era is it supposed to be from? It's kinda neat.
    Patrick Goodman -- Tilting at Windmills

"I dare you to do better." -- Captain Christopher Pike

Beyond the Final Frontier: CODA Star Trek RPG Support

It was in the latest (as in, 2010, I think) Ships of the Line calendar, though that isn't where I saw it.

I first spotted it on the Drex Files website: http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2009/11/

It's a gorgeous little thing, not much bigger than a runabout, and I'd be guessing at a crew of about five: commander, engineer, pilot, medic, science officer. Possibly combining the commander/pilot together.

Perfect for a PC ship...
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

Looks like an ambulance.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

That does sound like the perfect size vessel for great PC excursions!
    Doug Taylor
    Member of Decipher's Hall of Fame
    Currently running The One Ring RPG. I also occasionally run Villains & Vigilantes (our campaign is in year 25) and WEG d6 Star Wars (both games are mostly on hiatus) and an annual game based on The X-Files (using Conspiracy X).

I worked for Section 31 and all I got was this stupid T-shirt!

USS Pleaides

Greetings

SOTL Calender 2008 - Ice Station Alpha

Mark Rademaker's blog - has some information

I really like the images there, like the modular component here.

and this excellent visual of the ships modular design

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

New Atlantic class CODA stats

Here should be some gameable stats for the New Atlantic class, with some of the numbers based on the Delta Flyer, and the modular system worked up as a down-sizing of the modules on a Nebula class.

Hope this helps

Edit: I got a lot of information on this ship from my friend, George. He did his own work-up based on the Danube class runabouts. And I incorporated that data into what I'd posted. It works a lot better in my opinion, and better fits the size of the ship.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Fugazi Grrl; 08-16-2011 at 09:13 PM.

FG, that is fantastic! Thanks a whole bunch - it makes life a lot easier, and there's a couple of things in there I wouldn't have thought to add.

Thanks again

That's pretty cool FG, I assume it isn't math correct, and that you went with what felt right for the ship? As there is alot of stuff in that size 3
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

- Carl Zwanzig

When I get home (I'm on vacation now), I'll try to whip up deckplans for this ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen E Oulton View Post
    When I get home (I'm on vacation now), I'll try to whip up deckplans for this ship.
    That would be cool
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

- Carl Zwanzig

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
    Quote Originally Posted by IceGiant View Post
    That's pretty cool FG, I assume it isn't math correct, and that you went with what felt right for the ship? As there is alot of stuff in that size 3
    It's as math-correct as anything in Starships. If I had to do all those calculations designing a ship would take me 3 or 4 days. Actually, if you try to reverse-engineer some of the Starships stats, they don't work mathematically, and some of the weapons stats, like Penetration values, don't match the weapons installed.

But, it works for the feel of the ship, like you said.

Actually, when it comes to working out the stats mathematically, GURPS Space starships are a lot easier. Then again, I was never any good at math.

GURPS Vehicles is another thing all together ! That is a very complicated system, but the one they did for GURPS Space 3e is more modular and simpler. I pity anyone trying to stat out The Walton's 1920s pickup truck (let alone a Starship or a WWII Destroyer) in GURPS Vehicles without a program or excel spreadsheet to walk them through.

Bessie helped me with the ship, and we always proceed from the assumption; "If they'd allow it in Starships, it goes". Meaning if a Galaxy class ship can have Type-X phasers with 6/6/6/0/0 penetration when the Type-X has an Offense value of 10, yielding a 4/3/3/0/0 penetration with no Starship trait to account for the weapons upgrades we can fudge a bit on the size thing to get a ship that would "look good on TV".

Quote Originally Posted by Fugazi Grrl View Post
    It's as math-correct as anything in Starships. If I had to do all those calculations designing a ship would take me 3 or 4 days. Actually, if you try to reverse-engineer some of the Starships stats, they don't work mathematically, and some of the weapons stats, like Penetration values, don't match the weapons installed.
    Starships was terribly edited in addition to being pretty hideous. It's kind of obvious it was a rush job. It's not really a great standard to judge stats by.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

I'm working on editing a PDF of Starships to correct that nonsense...
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"