Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Atlantic class queries...

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    Starships was terribly edited in addition to being pretty hideous. It's kind of obvious it was a rush job. It's not really a great standard to judge stats by.
    I like the layouts in the Expanded Starship Ops Manual much better. All the black ink in Starships, is, well, way too much IMO.

But, that said, I've enjoyed using the book. Sometimes my ship designs are pretty close to math-correct (especially if I get some help working on them) and then sometimes I'll fudge it based on the data in Starships to get a more cinematic effect (usually for a Big Bad ship !)

Quote Originally Posted by BouncyCaitian View Post
    I'm working on editing a PDF of Starships to correct that nonsense...
    That sounds like a monumental task, if you mean you're fixing all the weapon-stats, etc.

It would be very interesting to see when you get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldaron View Post
    FG, that is fantastic! Thanks a whole bunch - it makes life a lot easier, and there's a couple of things in there I wouldn't have thought to add.

Thanks again
    You're most welcome. Did you check out the new version of the ship ? It has more modular options, and I think actually is more accurate for the ship's size configurations.

Quote Originally Posted by Fugazi Grrl View Post
    That sounds like a monumental task, if you mean you're fixing all the weapon-stats, etc.

It would be very interesting to see when you get it done.

after working on my A+ and Applecare certifications, I need something to focus the mind on to relax
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "Now We Are Alone"

Only issue I really have with starships is torpedo's. They do LESS damage than phasers and by all accounts they are supposed to do far more being a weapon of last resort or for softeneing targets. I've thought about doubling or tripling their penetration values.
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

- Carl Zwanzig

Quote Originally Posted by IceGiant View Post
    Only issue I really have with starships is torpedo's. They do LESS damage than phasers and by all accounts they are supposed to do far more being a weapon of last resort or for softeneing targets. I've thought about doubling or tripling their penetration values.
    I think a lot of that may come from ships with Torps with a lower Offense rating than their phasers.

But, I do love the idea of upping the damage done by torps, it really would make using them in combat feel a lot more like cinematic Trek.

I've actually considered rebuilding that chart as Torps were supposed to bethe Hammer blow weapon
    A brave little theory, and actually quite coherent for a system of five or seven dimensions -- if only we lived in one.

Quote Originally Posted by BouncyCaitian View Post
    I've actually considered rebuilding that chart as Torps were supposed to bethe Hammer blow weapon
    I admire your dedication. I know I'm the same way, when it comes to unwinding I like to piddle about with roleplaying stuff. But, I'm not so good with numbers as I'd dare to try and rewrite the Starships charts.

Maybe take IceGiant's lead and double the Torp values so they can have the punch they always seem to on TV, and in the movies. I'm very excited about seeing what you come up with.

Would doing so mean you'd improve all torpedo weapons? Or just photon (and quantum) torpedoes? The Romulan Plasma Torpedoes (on their D'Deridex ships) seem pretty powerful (doing 7 at Point Blank range).
    Doug Taylor
    Member of Decipher's Hall of Fame
    Currently running The One Ring RPG. I also occasionally run Villains & Vigilantes (our campaign is in year 25) and WEG d6 Star Wars (both games are mostly on hiatus) and an annual game based on The X-Files (using Conspiracy X).

Quote Originally Posted by IceGiant View Post
    Penetration values or offence values? It's just that tripling penetration values would make them absolutely deadly...which isn't a bad thing, in and of itself, I just wonder how it would translate into a game (I'm yet to meet the players who show the same restraint as Picard! )

I was considering having torpedoes do increased damage only when shields are down ("Keptin...if they fire while our shields are down, we will be unable to respond...")...but then I wonder if I'm conflating my Star Trek: Online combat experiences with the actual shows. I'm trying to remember if the standard process in the shows is to drop shields with phasers and then fire torpedoes?
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...

Phasers cut through the sheilds, then torps to hammer blow the hull to scrap.

A new favortie toy is the Harg'pengh torpedo which has the virtue of doing some damage to the sheild...then over time building upa energy discharge that rips the hull to hell and back.

in that...they kept with the feel of the show

Harg'pengh ? Sounds very Klingon to me ! I love Klingon stuff, and use a lot of it in-game.

I'm assuming this will be included in your Starships Redux ?

pretty much, along witha buncha new torps, beam weapons and other odds and ends. I'm still up in the air about doing that tho. Gonna contact ST:O and see if it's cool with them. At the very least...rebuild the tables and the construction flow for the game
    Last edited by BouncyCaitian; 07-22-2011 at 12:49 PM.

After reading over the book last night, I'm seriosuly contemplating re-editing from scratch to make ti more user freindly

Quote Originally Posted by Aldaron View Post
    Penetration values or offence values? It's just that tripling penetration values would make them absolutely deadly...which isn't a bad thing, in and of itself, I just wonder how it would translate into a game (I'm yet to meet the players who show the same restraint as Picard! )

I was considering having torpedoes do increased damage only when shields are down ("Keptin...if they fire while our shields are down, we will be unable to respond...")...but then I wonder if I'm conflating my Star Trek: Online combat experiences with the actual shows. I'm trying to remember if the standard process in the shows is to drop shields with phasers and then fire torpedoes?
    I am pretty certain you're conflating experiences here, although not with STO alone. Almost every Trek video game ever has uses that formula.

On the screen we have no definitive basis for thinking that Phaedra are used against shields then torpedoes on the hull. Any statements one way or another by characters on the screen are contradicted numerous times by other statements or series of actions.

Even the idea that torpedoes are more powerful just isn't consistent across the whole of the franchise. It just trends that way.

That said, the idea to increase damage from torpedoes seems to make sense - I can just see the reasons for it being the way it is as written too, as both views have support in canon.