Thread: Kaytons

Kaytons

Per Fugazi Grrl's request, here is a write up of the creatures I created for my last episode.

Understand that these are my concept notes that I never materialized into a coherent blend and thus my episode fizzled due to me not knowing what challenges to put on my PC's in dealing with the creatures. So, if anyone wants to take this and put it together better, I would love to see what you do... it might get our story back on track!

Concept: When I started to envision this episode and a creature that might play antagonist, I thought of beings that were made of pure light energy/radiation that swam through the energy that was given off by stars - a star cluster to be exact. Like porpoises swimming in front of a ship allowing its pressure surge to propel them forward, faster, I thought of these beings skimming between and over stars riding flares of radiation.

Then, with porpoises (and whales) on the brain, I then began to think of them as intelligent but simple beings, and passive but capable of tremendous things due to their very nature. Not like the Organians who were beings of light and able to manifest things through their power, but still very capable creatures.

They would communicate on a simple level, if the PC's could find a way (again, simple minds like dolphins and whales), but they would share a common intelligence. Not so much a hive mind, but a psionic bond between them all.

I did allow them to manipulate physical matter by transforming its shape to create a gateway. In their minds, the physical, carbon (silicon, or whatever) -based form of life had to be terrible and painful, with death and deterioration. So, these beings were empathic and wanted to save the PC's from themselves (so to speak).

Okay, hopefully I have conveyed my concept of what these beings are. Now for game mechanics (again, these are only my notes; options I wrote down but had yet to firm together):

Attributes: The beings have the following attributes of varying level (to be determined) - Intellect, Vitality, Perception, Agility, and Psionics

Special abilities: This is a list of special abilities that I thought would work within my idea, but again... I have not completed it -

1) Amorphous
    2) Energy Atack
    3) Energy Body
    4) Resistance (Physical)
    5) Flying
    6) Radiation
    7) Ranged Attack
    8) Psionics

That's what I have... I don't know if this is useful to you, Fugazi Grrl, or not, but feel free to take what you want. Like I said, if someone puts something together before I get back to this storyline, I'd love to see what you do.

Lastly, I have attached the compiled threads (that I do with all of our games) from our PbP game to this thread so you can get an idea of our setting. It was funny - the timeline of our game falls in with that of the MOV era and Kirk's travel back in time to get whales. Well, when you look at the time it took for the President to order the Planetary emergency and then for Kirk and Co. to get home, it is only a few minutes, so it is part of our story but then it is over. Very irrelevant, kind of funny, but staying in line with cannon.

I look forward to hearing some ideas if anyone has any. I like our Star Trek game and would have no problem getting this going again. Why don't I just do it? You might ask... well, I also have a Star Wars game that is in full tilt along with our Lord of the Rings game and I find that my mind can only write in one genre.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Tomcat; 08-01-2011 at 02:37 PM.

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
    Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦○○] Dmg 9/11 | Edge 8 | Injury 16/18
    Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane, Foe-slaying
    Shadow bane, Skirmisher

Now, this I also need to add...

The Kaytons, as written above, find our physical existence abhorrent and so have formed a gateway to help us pass through and shed our physical beings and become like them, creatures of energy. (I thought about stories of a pod of dolphins that helped rescue swimmers, etc.) Anyway, they are passive, peaceful creatures that know nothing of hate, anger, or fear... so what happens if those they help to pass into their existence bring that stuff with them?

Hence our story, Ghosts in the Machine. My idea is that while there were these amazing creatures outside of the ship trying to help people, inside the ship, the PC's were dealing with these 'spirits' that had passed through but were angry and hateful for losing their 'lives'.

So, the whole story is supposed to come off as a Star Trek ghost story... it was fun until I didn't know what the heck to do with the bad guys!

Also, if you read that PDF, there is still stuff that needs added, so if you feel there are things missing, there are.

Thanks for reading and I hope it is worth it!

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
    Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane, Foe-slaying
    Shadow bane, Skirmisher

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
    Tomcat, thank you so much for posting all this information. Your PDF is really beautiful. I love the layout.

You put so much work into telling that story. And it is a fascinating read.

Thank you.

My pleasure.

Shadow bane, Skirmisher

I have to agree; it looks more professional than many published works!
    Doug Taylor
    Member of Decipher's Hall of Fame
    Currently running The One Ring RPG. I also occasionally run Villains & Vigilantes (our campaign is in year 25) and WEG d6 Star Wars (both games are mostly on hiatus) and an annual game based on The X-Files (using Conspiracy X).

Thanks for the kind words about the quality of the PDF!

I hope that at some point I get some feed back as to the content of the story. I know we are all amateur writers when we GM, but it would interest me to hear any story critiques.

Obviously, this particular episode is not complete, but we have six previous episodes from our campaign that I have laid out the same. Also, this PDF has been updated with more of the story.

Shadow bane, Skirmisher