Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worst Sci-fi films of all time?

Post Worst Sci-fi films of all time?

So far there are Best and Worst Sci-fi series of all time, so I'm going to do my own thread.

The worst Sci-fi films in my opinion are:

5. Lost In Space (In 4 words: "Danger, Danger, Will Robinson")

4. Galaxy Quest (The only reason why I include this film, is for the obvious Star Trek rip-off that it is, although I did think it was funny)

3. Barbarella (Not so much the film, Jane Fonda)

2. Spaced Invaders (A bad film overall)

and the number one worst sci-fi film of all time:

1. Battlefield Earth (Had many things going against it: bad script, didn't follow the novel at all, the worst performance of John Travolta, ever)

------------------
    "Cry havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."
    -Chang (ST VI)

Gotta go with the ones I've seen, so I can't confirm or deny Battlefield Earth. I stayed away from the theater while that was playing...not just that particular showing room, but the whole theater.

Starcrash (so bad, I couldn't stop watch. Ifigured it had to get better...)

Lifeforce

Mars Attacks. Not even funny...

Moonbase

Hardwired (not the Walter J Williams book, which is GREAT. This was some kind of mechanical horrorshow that actually put me to sleep.)

Armageddon

I could just hear Bay and Bruckenheimer laughing their asses off for producing something that goes out of its way to insult the intelligence of the audience and even getting money for it.

No other movie has ever made me THAT angry.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Treefrog:
    4. Galaxy Quest (The only reason why I include this film, is for the obvious Star Trek rip-off that it is, although I did think it was funny)
    </font>
    Err, wasn't that the whole point?! I thought it was hilarious...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Treefrog:
    1. Battlefield Earth (Had many things going against it: bad script, didn't follow the novel at all, the worst performance of John Travolta, ever)
    </font>
    Luckily, I never had to see it

Armageddon and Event Horizon are definitely down there with the worst IMHO. As a graduate physicist, any film that takes the liberties Armageddon did tends to bug me from the moment I sit down... and I still can't get over the lunacies in EH!

------------------
    Slartibart-Jon

Originally posted by Treefrog:

Imagus:
    Err, wasn't that the whole point?! I thought it was hilarious...

->Yes, it was.

And without any further comment:

Warhammer

(the movie had nothing to do with the Warhammer 40000 RPG)

In my honest opinion the worst sci-fi films of all time are (in no particular order):

Star Trek V (So utterly crappo that it isn't even canon anymore (although it probably should be shot out of one).
    Dungeons and Dragons (maybe not science-fiction but not a kick up the arse off. Still utter s**t anyway)
    Starship Troopers (no plot, really bad acting and such a happy, smiley ending)

More may follow.

Barbarella
    Spaced Invaders
    Mars Attacks
    Attack of the Killer Tomatoes
    Dune

------------------
    The Trekkie Formerly Known As Surak, AKA The Coch, Humble Creator of the Bwuutut and Mensaeans, Aba and Zwickau, and the Perseus Federation, Guy Who Still Hasn't Actually Played The Game, And Who Finally Decided To Use A Signature.

Wink

I cant believe some of the choices here... Some great movies cast aside... Although I am regularly told to shut up during Armageddon during the shuttle launch as I have an uncontrollable urge to try and explain why two shuttles would NOT be launched within 200 metres of one another...

(Its my Girlfriends favourite sci-fi movie, and I quite enjoy it too)

oh well. Thats what we get for giing them free will.

Now heres the absolute worst Sci Fi film ever. So bad its actually enjoyable.

Plan 9 from Outer Space.

------------------
    Dan.

"A couple of thoughts from a random mind!"
    http://www.theventure.freeserve.co.uk

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cochrane:
    Barbarella
    Spaced Invaders
    Mars Attacks
    Attack of the Killer Tomatoes
    Dune

</font>
    I really can't disagree with you on those choices, but the choice of Dune as one of your worst ones I would have to disagree with you on that one. I've seen the mini-series that Sci-fi channel put on (I actually own it now, although the quality kinda sucks on the VHS tape that I have), and although it follows the novel more closely, I thought that the film was better (even though the director took some liberties with it.

------------------
    -Chang (ST VI)

I guess I'm Un-Canadian: No Beer, No Hockey, No Paul Martin!

Star Crash
    Mars Attacks (Was K-mart mentioned? Was Tim Burton a former K-mart employee?)
    Spaced Invaders
    Plan 9 from Outer Space
    Space Hunter

Too many more to type!

What is it with you guys and Spaced Invaders? Now, I'm not saying it was the greatest film of its time, but when I saw it I couldn't stop laughing...One of the funniest movies I've seen. This is saying alot, since I hate most of the comedies that are out today. Whatever happened to clean humour instead of this trash we get these days. Did anyone out there think Scary Movie was funny? God I hope not!

The last 3-4 years have been particularly bad. You want bad movies well...This is getting off topic. Sorry.

Anyway, back on topic. The worst Sci-Fi movie I ever saw, I can't even remember the name of it it was so bad. It was about a meteor that hit near a small town. The chunks of the meteor soon began to grow into these massive rock columns and whenever someone touched the rocks they became petrified, sucked the life right out of them sort of like this movie. Anyway, long story short the hero and his girl destroyed them with water or some such silly thing. I don't think any of you out there will be able to top this one, I wish I could remember the name! If for any thing else just to warn ya'all about it.

"I would like to this moment, as a representative of the Planet Earth, to award you the Trinitrotoluene award."

"You're the pilot why don't you do something!"
    "Well, how 'bout if I eject?"

"I have not yet begun to fight!"
    "Now, would be a good time to start!"

Another one that I thought was pretty bad was Critters 2-4. The first one as always was the best. The sequels just sucked.

------------------
    -Chang (ST VI)

I promised more and here goes:

GoBots the movie: (sucked ass big time)

Pokemon: the first movie: (my mother volunteered me to take my cousins to see this festering boil on the arse of film and even the £5:00 bribe I took to even enter the cinema wasn't enough. I admit the first little featurette made me laugh once (just once) but it went downhill from there to the extent that I wanted to axe murder every kid in the cinema by the thirtieth time every kid there said Pikachu at the same time. I was asked to take the same cousins to see the Digimon movie but I refused claiming that having to see two films like that was illegal under the Geneva conventuions on human rights. All in all utter pants).

Dark Crystal (Boring, boring, boring).

Alien 3 (OH MY GOD! THEY KILLED RIPLEY. Cool, maybe they'll stop making these films.)

------------------
    "I hate all monkeys, Me.
    From Chimpan-a to Chimpan-zee"

Troy McClure, The Simpsons.

Thumbs down

I had the misfortune of catching 30 minutes of 'Xtro III: Watch the skies" (or something like that) on Sci-Fi last night! I've never seen anything quite so bad... I'd explain but it would bring up far too many bad memories

------------------
    Slartibart-Jon

additions:
    Dark Crystal
    Flash Gordon
    the Superman series, particularly Supergirl
    the Batman series

------------------
    The Trekkie Formerly Known As Surak, AKA The Coch, Humble Creator of the Bwuutut and Mensaeans, Aba and Zwickau, and the Perseus Federation, Guy Who Still Hasn't Actually Played The Game, And Who Finally Decided To Use A Signature.