Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Worst Sci-fi films of all time?

1. BATTLEFIELD: GURTH (I don't know if I'll ever read the book now...)

2. DUNE (1984, theatrical version)

3. ALIEN 3 (haven't even seen it and can vote against it!!!)

4. Waterworld (Sci-Fi?) Oh heck, it was so awful, I'll put it down anyway...

5. Star Wars: Episode Dumb. Sorry Star Wars fans, besides an O. K. lightsaber duel, this one has gotta go in the trash.

6. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier [of films directed by W. Shatner]

7. Armageddon! (everone should have died at the end, that way there's no chance for sequels. At least Willis died...)

EDIT: THE NEW [to long] AND IMPROVED LIST.
    ------------------
    "Your skull shall make an excellent trophy for my wall!" - Hirogen Home Improvement Ad

[This message has been edited by Hirogen Alpha (edited 07-03-2001).]

OOOH, tough one, but:

Worst Sci-Fi films of all time:

1) Deep Star Six: A monster big enough to EAT a minisub sneaks in to the base through a human size airlock and can hide in four feet of water.

2) Battle Beyond Space (I think??): BAAAAAD Italian dub job, actual line of dialogue: "Try every form of communication possible, even try the radio!" What they were gonna use smoke signals??

3) The Guyver: The first movie was way too ninja turtles, part two Dark Hero rocked though.

4) Journey to the Center of Time: WOW! was this bad, I normally can forgive the 60's for anything, but this crosses the line!

5)Space Mutiny: I thought I would be scarred for life until SciFi properly hashed this flick on MST3K

The worst five of all time?
    Ah, that's a little easier (though limiting it to five might be hard... )

Battlefield: Earth (just what was Travolta thinking when he signed up for this crap? Oh, and teaching cave-men to fly Harrier jump-jets in a couple of days was pretty awesome, too *stick fingers down throat and gag*)

Armageddon (let's spin Mir to make it easier to dock???? Smoky fires on airless asteroids? Miniguns on space vehicles? Need I go on?)

Star Trek: The Final Frontier

Alien: Resurrection (blowing it out the airlock was good enough for the first two, so we'll do it again!)

Highlander 2 (was it even related to the original???)

------------------
    "Every atom in our bodies was forged in the furnace of ancient stars - it is our destiny to return home..."

I guess I'm Un-Canadian: No Beer, No Hockey, No Paul Martin!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Homer:

2) Battle Beyond Space (I think??): BAAAAAD Italian dub job, actual line of dialogue: "Try every form of communication possible, even try the radio!" What they were gonna use smoke signals??
    </font>
    Was it the one with John Boy in it? And John Saxon? If so then it was Battle Beyond The Stars. Didn't make my list for two reasons: it was another 'tribute' to Akira Kurosawa and it had the starship Nell.

Arrow

Battle beyond the stars is one of those special films you see as a kid and like will always like but if you see it later in life it never catches your heart strings.

Now as to Worst Sci Fi film and I am about to perhaps put myself up for excommunication are:

1.) The Shape of Things Too Come - (both versions) horrendous acting both times even considering the standards of the time for the original 1938 version. Too moralizing in the first version even though HG wells actually wrote the scipt it Sucked big time. and for the second can we at least read the book first before making a movie!

2.) 2001: A Space Odyssy to no where, slow, ponderous and never making any sense right up to the very end. this is one time a sequal actually outshined the original in 2010 HUM perhaps becease Clark was Kept out of it had nothing to do with it. Granted the shps were kinda neat for there time and basic premise was OK as proved by 2010 but you can't spend a half hour with monkeys and call it Sci Fi!

No, Battle Beyond the Stars, with Jon Boy, was actually kind of cute, and it is one of those that had some sense to not take itslef seroiuosly, I place it in the same category as Ice Pirates, Horribly bad, but to much fun to be a big deal. It is just a show, I should just relax.

No, the one I was talking about was part of a two or three part series, made in late 70's or early 80's, and so bad they made StarCrash look good. Everyone wears what look like 1950's Flash Gordon stuff, not the silver underwear, but the flared shoulders, and all the men wear these skullcaps that cover their hair and hang to about the shoulders. Most of the men are older, and the leader kind of looks like Dr. Bellows.

The ships look like ripoffs of both Space 1999 and the Apollo program. The aliens ships are deffinite rip offs of the UFO from Gerry Anderson's UFO. For a better idea of budget, think the alien abduction scene from "The Aliens Are Coming". Pretty bad eh?

What should one expect from the USA network at 4 am, back in the Night Flight days. Of course that said they did show "Music of the Spheres" and that was good, sort of.

2001 and Shape of Things to Come as bad SF?

Geez...kids these days...

Anyhew.

Message From Space
    Battlefield Earth (we call it Battlefield Eccch)
    Starship Troopers
    Spacecamp
    Highlanders 2 on up

------------------
    "This battlestation is now the ultimate power in...who's hailing us? I don't care who these 'Borg' are, THEY CAN WAIT!!!"
    Admiral Motti, now Eighth Of Eight

Dark Crystal? I'm going to have to disagree. It's different fare than the usual muppet movies, but I really enjoy watching it.

Sci-fi movies I loathe or at least am really really bored by:

Attack of the Mutant Ants: I was very excited when this first came on the Sci-Fi channel at 3am. I like cheezy B-rated movies, but half an hour went by in the movie, and I still hadn't seen any mutant ants.

Krull the Conqueror: I think I slept through "the most exciting part of the movie." Unfortunetly, I remember the beginning.

Anything featuring cavewomen, furry bikinis, and the lone spaceman who crahes into a planet filled with only scantily clad women. (Maybe if the sex roles changed--the lone spacewoman crahes into a planet filled with scantily clad lonely men. )

Star Trek I: Boring. Almost terminally boring.

Star Trek V: Improbable in the extreme. If I can't believe the idea underlying the entire movie, it doesn't work.

Alison

Acción Mutante (a spanish Blade Runner-Alien wannabe)
    The Puppet Masters (a REALLY BAD adaptation of the novel)
    Starman (sorry, I hate all the ET's wannabe)
    Armaggedon (I enjoyed the movie, but I'm not blind!)
    Battlefield Earth (who convinced Travold to produce that contraption?)

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Aldaron:
    The worst five of all time?
    Ah, that's a little easier (though limiting it to five might be hard... )

Battlefield: Earth (just what was Travolta thinking when he signed up for this crap? Oh, and teaching cave-men to fly Harrier jump-jets in a couple of days was pretty awesome, too *stick fingers down throat and gag*)

Armageddon (let's spin Mir to make it easier to dock???? Smoky fires on airless asteroids? Miniguns on space vehicles? Need I go on?)

Star Trek: The Final Frontier

Alien: Resurrection (blowing it out the airlock was good enough for the first two, so we'll do it again!)

Highlander 2 (was it even related to the original???)

</font>
    Yup. Try watching Armageddon in a theater at least half filled with miners. Then wait for Willis to state "We'll drill carefully because of gas pockets" and take out the 30cm+ drill. A collectiv "no" / "slapping forehead" could be heard.

Worst 5:

Star Trek: The motionless picture (Where's the action. Okay, at least decent actors)

Battlestar Galactica III (Also they used the most interesting parts of BC:80)

Aliens III (A:4 had at least some great moments)

Star Trek: Episode I (Destroyed more "canon" information in 3 hours than Voyager in 7 years)

Mission to Mars

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Antonio Cabañas:
    Starman (sorry, I hate all the ET's wannabe)
    </font>
    That's OK because I don't like ET!

About why Travolta produced Battlefield:Eccch, one word...Scientology! L. Ron Hubbard created the Church of Scientology, and JT is a big time Scientologist.

------------------
    In the Praetors Name!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cochrane:
    additions:
    Dark Crystal
    Flash Gordon
    the Superman series, particularly Supergirl
    the Batman series

</font>
    Ummmm ... did we see the same movies?

Dark Crystal -- pretty darn cool, even if a bit slow. The first time muppet-technology was used for a quasi-serious story.

Flash Gordon -- One of the most awesomly funny movies I ever saw in college. It's wonderfully campy with some of the most memorable lines I've ever encountered. "Flash, I love you, but we only have 14 hours to save the earth!"

Superman -- Yeah, Superman III was bad, Superman IV really sucked, and Supergirl was dumb, but Superman I and Superman II were both pretty cool.

The Batman series -- As with Superman, the first two Batman movies were pretty good.

Oh, and somebody else mentioned Starman. C'mon, one of the best sci-fi date movies of all time! Gets all touchy feely by the end, great for cuddling!

-- Eris

I really can't believe that no one has mentioned the WORST modern (post '60) sci-fi movie ever made. Dark Star. God, it was awful. A killer beach-ball attacks a tin-can ship? Friggin WEIRD.

Oh, and The Black Hole. Ugh. Friggin DISNEY.

Joey the Gimp

Dark Crystal and the Batman Series are too dark for my tastes, and I don't like campy. Here's my ranking of the Superman movies, from best to worst: 3, 2, 1, 4, G.

------------------
    Games. The Final Product. These are the books of the Star Trek RPG. Their five year license. To breathe new life into get togethers. To boldly play what no fan has played before!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by joeman:
    I really can't believe that no one has mentioned the WORST modern (post '60) sci-fi movie ever made. Dark Star. God, it was awful. A killer beach-ball attacks a tin-can ship? Friggin WEIRD.

Oh, and The Black Hole. Ugh. Friggin DISNEY.

Joey the Gimp
    </font>
    I happened to like The Black Hole. I remember seeing it in the theaters when I was a kid. Until I was older and saw the Psycho sequels, this film was the first film that I had seen with Anthony Perkins.

------------------
    "Cry havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."
    -Chang (ST VI)