Thread: Starship Experience

Starship Experience

Has anybody used the method described in the Starships book to give their crew's starship benefits from advancements donated by the PCs?

It's nicely spelled out how to do it, but it doesn't really say what it costs for some of the choices. It is clear for things like upping the Renown, but then it doesn't list how many advancements it costs for Edges or manuever modifiers. My guess is - like characters - Edges probably cost two picks, and maneuver modifiers likely cost one.

Anybody know?
    Doug Taylor
    Member of Decipher's Hall of Fame
    Currently running The One Ring RPG. I also occasionally run Villains & Vigilantes (our campaign is in year 25) and WEG d6 Star Wars (both games are mostly on hiatus) and an annual game based on The X-Files (using Conspiracy X).

Iirc, there is something mentioned about how much extra space costs in picks. You buy the extra space, in blocks of 5, & and then add what ever modifications you want, based on the space cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Karg View Post
    Iirc, there is something mentioned about how much extra space costs in picks. You buy the extra space, in blocks of 5, & and then add what ever modifications you want, based on the space cost.
    I'll have to take a look at that. Thanks, Karg!
    Doug Taylor
    Currently running The One Ring RPG. I also occasionally run Villains & Vigilantes (our campaign is in year 25) and WEG d6 Star Wars (both games are mostly on hiatus) and an annual game based on The X-Files (using Conspiracy X).

Starships, Page 33 Includes rules for adding new systems & Traits

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
    Quote Originally Posted by Karg View Post
    Starships, Page 33 Includes rules for adding new systems & Traits
    And I've used this system extensively to build ships that are slightly more built up than a standard of their class. We've used it a lot for the USS Cavalier, especially, since the Chief Engineer aboard her likes to tinker.

I have also used this system to build ships, and I think they look good!

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
    I think, over all, CODA has the best system for building starships for Trek. And they have a really fun starship combat system too. Very cinematic. It really has a Trek feel to it !

Overall, I'm really fond of the CODA system.

Now I think I'm doing this correctly, but am not sure.

After an adventure, the crew pooled their extra XP to total 1,000, which they donated to the ship. With that, 5 points of Space were purchased for her, to be used later.

Then after their last adventure, they want to add one Edge, which costs 3. If the players pool 300, that should be enough to purchase that Edge, correct?

And there would still be 2 Space left over (for future projects), I think.
    Doug Taylor

Upon getting home and re-reading what it says in the Starships book, I now see I had something completely wrong. The characters don't donate experience to the ship, they donate advancement picks.

So when they cash in 1,000 xp, it gives them 5 picks. They can then donate however many they choose to the ship.

And in our case that will take 8 advancement picks. 5 to buy 1 Space each (because according to the NG each Edge costs 5 Space), and then 3 more to purchase the Edge.

I think I've finally got it now...
    Doug Taylor