Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Take on JJ-Timeline Post New Movie

My Take on JJ-Timeline Post New Movie

So, I've been giving myself aneurysms trying to slowly piece together the new alternate timeline for Star Trek in hopes of running a campaign at some point. Here's what I've got so far with a lot more that needs typed up.

Here's some facts so far:

According to backstory, during the time between Nero showing up to wax the Kelvin and him actually catching Spock, Nero and his crew were captured and imprisoned by the Klingons on Rura Penthe. When they finally escaped, the Narada took them to V'ger. Apparently, after the destruction of Romulas in the Prime timeline, Nero took the ship to the Romulan's secret Borg research place and refitted his simple mining ship into the giant doom vessel we know it as. Nero then uses V'ger to calculate when and where Spock will emerge. There is also one story that claims that V'ger made the Borg has a means of assimiliating more knowledge more quickly. In any case, there's some connection between the two.

Fast forward to the end of the movie and my current plot thoughts:

Since V'ger was programmed to learn everything, it would stand to reason that while it was near the Narada, it would tap into it and drain everything it could from the databanks. Therefore, it would stand to reason that V'ger would have some, if not fairly complete knowledge of the original Prime timeline. That raises the question then, assuming the above is true, what would V'ger do now?

Would it race off to the Delta Quandrant to stop the Borg, knowing what they will become?

Will it return to Earth early in order to provide them with the knowledge it has gained of the alternate timeline?

Does V'ger attempt to go commune with the Q Continuum?

What impact does all of this have on Gary Mitchell (read Q-Squared) and Q?

Do Federation scientists, studying leftover bits of the advanced Romulan technology discover similarities between it and the Borg tech that Zephram Cochrane had as a result of First Contact and/or Capt. Archer's encounter with the Borg during "Enterprise?"

If said similarities are found, how does that further change the timeline?

What does the destruction of Vulcan at the hands of a Romulan do for overall Vulcan/Romulan relations?

Does Future Spock use this knowledge to attempt to complete his goal of reunifying the two species?

Are the Borg of this timeline sent a message from the Narada before it is destroyed? If so, what does it contain?

So, here are some additional thoughts.

1) At the minimum, the Narada would contain the Romulan perspective on everything that has happened in the Prime Timeline as well as any major events, ie. the Dominion and various other wars, the Borg, etc. V-Ger would access that data and immediately begin returning to Earth in order to meet "the creator." Upon arriving there, V-Ger would once again mind-meld with Spock-Prime. The question is, then what?

2) Given that both the Federation and the Klingons have taken losses to their fleets due to Nero, the Romulans emerge from seclusion early. They conduct negotiations with the Orion Syndicate to begin attacking the Klingons. The Orions are primarily tasked with occupying the Federation to keep them from aiding the Klingons. The Romulans begin attacking Klingon outposts with their new Bird of Prey (see Battle of Icarus IV).

3) With the changes going about the Alpha Quadrant, Starfleet starts getting pressured to become more militant. Under Admiral Pike, Starfleet forms it's new Strategic Operations Command tasked with overseeing the increased military presence to be established. Meanwhile, the remnants of the Vulcan Science Academy take over a section of Starfleet Academy on Earth and help establish the Federation Science and Exploration Council.

4) Several months after the Battle of Vulcan, Federation scientists, studying the remains of the plasma drill left from the Narada make a startling discovery. The technology in that device has many similarities to the crashed spaceship discovered in 2153 (the Borg Sphere from First Contact.) A new joint venture between Strategic Operations and the Science Council begins studying the technology more indepth, hoping to be better prepared for when the strange cybernetic aliens finally reappear. The shipyards at Utopia Planetia begin to develop a new extreme long-range scout/science vessel to explore towards the Delta Quadrant and hope to establish an early warning. Members of the Vissian scientific community are also brought in to help develop omicron radiation based weapons in hope they will prove more effective based on the reports of Dr. Phlox during his tenure as Chief Medical Officer aboard the Enterprise.

5) To keep their contract with the Klingons, the Orions begin raiding the wreckages at Rura Penthe and Vulcan to draw the attention of the Federation.

6) Following the battle with the Narada, the Enterprise puts into Spacedock for repairs and refitting. The officers spend the time on leave and assisting at Starfleet Academy. While there, Kirk encounters Gary Mitchell but due to having his tenure there cut short, there relationship remains purely acquiantance.

7) Over growing concerns about the geological damage to the West Coast following the actions of Nero, Vulcan scientists along with members of the American Continent Institute form a geological team to investigate the issue. The team is headed up by Doctor Theodore Haskins. Starfleet begins making plans to move its headquarters from San Francisco if necessary.

8) To finalize the tests of their new Bird of Prey, the Romulans attack the Klingon outpost at Narendra III. Starfleet sends a vessel to assist. Both the vessel and the outpost are destroyed. Relations improve between the Federation and the Empire and an alliance against the Romulans is formed.

9) Spock-Prime and the other Vulcans establish their new colony. In order to expedite the repopulation process, certain more radical elements uncover the research of Arik Soong and begin work on genetically engineering members of their race. Sarek takes a new wife.

10) After the repairs and refit are complete, the Enterprise heads off to lead the task force against the Romulans based at Khitomer.

My biggest current quandry is deciding just how much Spock-Prime would be willing to "cheat" and in what regards would he do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadeshorn View Post
    My biggest current quandry is deciding just how much Spock-Prime would be willing to "cheat" and in what regards would he do so.
    Depends really. Now that Vulcans have no homeworld will he push for the Genesis device knowing what happened next?

On that subject when kirk does encounter the Botany Bay will he 'cheat death' by destroying it or allow events to happen but maroon Khan's followers elsewhere? After all its logical to preserve the Vulcan species especially now that there is no guarantee that his Katra would be rejoined...

And that leads to the Whales. Its possible that Spock-prime may well have commited future Gillian Taylor's works to memory, but even if he didn't he could repopulate the species and have Earth ready to deal with the incoming probe.

But all this aside changes to the timeline are inalterable and changes to these events could be even more dangerous.

If only he knew where the Guardian of Forever is before anybody else and allow himself an opportunity t set things right. Oh wait... He does!

Logic dictates therefore that he use the Guardian to set things right just as they did with Edith Keeler, and return the timeline to its original configuration, which could be easy during the decades when Nero doesn't even think Spock will be arriving... Actually that could be a kick arse RPG setting.
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Hell, Spock computed the trajectory for a time-warp from memory. After dying. And coming back. If there's anybody who could single-handedly restore the timeline, or preempt everything in the next 125 years, it would be him.

On the other hand, doing so would be against the spirit (and possibly the letter) of the Prime Directive.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

As good at what he does as Spock is, I don't think it's possible to repair the timeline; the branch point of the divergence of the two timelines (wow, talking like Dr. Who here, or at least Reed Richards) is the appearence of the Narada and it's attack on the Kelvin. It took pretty much everything the Enterprise had to stop it, and unless Spock can convince Kirk to undo his whole life in the chance to recreate the Prime timeline. And if he could, they would more than likely create a 3rd timeline, closer to the Prime timeline, but with more lens flare and Abrahms stuff.

I've done a bit more research and considering the ideas I've already put in place, so to speak here are my follow-ups.

1) The Enterprise doesn't encounter the Botany Bay. With it stationed at Khitomer to assist in the war with the Romulans, it is nowhere near Starbase 12 when it passes through that sector. If anything, the Vulcans track it down to study the Augments to assist the repopulation of the Vulcan race.

2) Given that fact, along with the status of the Klingon Empire, the Genesis project is allowed to continue, largely unmolested. There is, however, the issue of whether or not Kirk encounters and impregnates Carol Marcus or not. Right now, I'm leaning towards no.

3) As far as Spock using the Guardian of Forever to "restore time," I think he would pass. Spock generally is a fan of not breaking the Temporal Prime Directive. Besides, he would be aware that going back and altering the past would A) create a predestination paradox and B) run the risk of making things far worse.

4) With V'Ger arriving decades earlier than in the Prime Timeline and the knowledge that the Borg will be headed towards the Alpha Quadrant, Spock-Prime has much bigger issues to attend to. The issue in there, is whether V'Ger uses the knowledge gained from the Narada and the mindmeld with Spock to go deal with the Borg. Most likely, if it does, the Borg would be reassimilated, reprogrammed and possibly eliminated all together.

5) As Tricky commented, Spock would be unable to stop the Narada at this time. His only hope would be to somehow use the Guardian of Forever to go back to the Prime Timeline and stop Nero there, which would wreck all kinds of havoc on the Prime Timeline. I've already given myself enough brain drain working on this, trying to figure out that mess would be crazy.

Just a nit about the Botany Bay: it's highly unlikely anyone knows about it. Kirk had no idea who's ship it was, at least until he met Kahn

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    But Spock-prime does.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

One of the other ideas I'm been bantering around in my head the past couple days has involved the Romulans. I got hooked up with a 60 day trial of Star Trek Online which takes place 25 years after Nemesis but still in the Prime timeline. Part of the major stories going on there involves the Romulans and Remans. Admiral Janeway does some exploring and comes to the conclusion that the Hobus star exploding and wrecking havoc was the result of the Romulans experimenting with subspace weapons and had Spock not stopped the destructive wave, it would have continued on and destroyed much more of the Alpha and Beta quadrants. I'm thinking that this timeline's Romulans are a lot saltier and might get involved with things like subspace weapons, thelaron radiation and all sorts of other things that decent galactic powers avoid.

A good friend of mine suggested that I use Spock-Prime as the focal point for the campaign and have him establish the characters as a sort of black ops group to deal with things that he knows about from the other timeline, ie. Khan, Humpback whales, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadeshorn View Post
    A good friend of mine suggested that I use Spock-Prime as the focal point for the campaign and have him establish the characters as a sort of black ops group to deal with things that he knows about from the other timeline, ie. Khan, Humpback whales, etc.
    Now thats a good idea. the main difficulty for you as narrator however is to make sure that things are different enough that your players dont just copy Kirks exploits. Perhaps you could take a leaf out of Enterprise books and have a shadowy temporal cold war with mysterious adversaries hounding your players (they may even be 29th century Timefleet trying to reset this temporal incursion and 'technically' on the same side)

I was going to post a defence of my suggestion that Spock Prime would use something like the Guardian of Forever. But then I realised the fatal flaw in my theory.

Law of Narration.

Spock Prime is a secondary Character, he might have all the information, but when it coes down to it Sylar-Spock is the amin character, and plot revolves around the main characters.
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gurden View Post
    the main difficulty for you as narrator however is to make sure that things are different enough that your players dont just copy Kirks exploits.
    I can see your point there. Something that will help greatly is the fact that this timeline is SOOOOO vastly different. The other added bonus of using Spock-Prime as the "contact" is that it allows me to draw on pretty much every show, movie and book for idea/inspiration.

I could have them explore the Typhon Expanse, do scouting/research for the Genesis Project, go rescue Q from the Source Wall, etc. The Temporal Cold War is in interesting idea as well, likely something to throw in the mix.

Plot twist for your players:

The Spock-Prime they've been working for/with is actually a Temporal Cold war agent...against the FED!

I don't think you'd need Khan to get the knowledge of making Augments, besides he's best left to drift into the unexplored depths of the galaxy, until he's thawed out and asked to join a team of unique individuals to...

oh wait, that's Captain America; hard to keep all those Super Soldiers straight.

Also, would the time fleet get involved? Sure, there is a new alternate present to deal with, but the integrity of the Prime timeline is stable (or is it? crossovers?) No sense messing with the time line further. Of course, on the other hand, what is the TimeFleet like in the JJ-timeline.......

I'm a little reluctant to toss the Temporal Cold War into this too much, mostly cause I don't want the constant headache of rewriting everything when the group completely hoses the timeline. I don't mind a bit of adaptation but....

Another idea I'm toying around with is having one of Nero's crew survive. The most likely avenues for that are either having not escaped from Rura Penthe or realizing that Nero was batshit crazy and escaped on a shuttle during either the Battle of Vulcan or at the invasion of Earth. That person could then make his way back to the Romulan Empire and spin all kinds of stories and in turn bring them knowledge of advanced technology. Imagine the 23rd century Romulans having the singularity generators or advanced cloak technology. Perhaps he gives them insight into finding additional allies for the Romulans, say the Hirogen or the Taurhai.

I have to admit, my ideas have started to be influenced by the abundance of Star Trek Online I've been playing the past few days.