Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Other Aliens vs. Trek Aliens

Other Aliens vs. Trek Aliens

hey folks. I'm just curious to know whether any of you have ever worked aliens from other genre shows into your Trek game? I'm considering doing this in mine, but haven't really planned it out too much. The way I look at it, its a big galaxy, and if you travel far enough, you're bound to run into a Dalek or a Cylon or a Peacekeeper at some point.

Personally, I'd love to see a showdown between the Cybermen and the Borg! After all, they're both basically the same concept, just developed a different way.

Not that I'd do anything silly like that in my game, of course...

Any thoughts?

Alan

Cylons vs. Borg...endless waves of mechanical bodys...ohh sparks...

To answer your question, yes there are people here that have and still do use lifeforms from other scifi shows. Not too long ago there was this thread on the aliens from Gene's Andromada, I've also worked up a species that looks like the worms from MIB (prior to seeing the second movie...they just got silly in that one).

And as far as your game getting silly...hey it's your game have fun with it.
    Phoenix...

"I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity,
    but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

"A Place For Everything & Nothing In It's Place"

Using the Delvians, Sheyang, Vorcarians, and Nebari from Farscape. Mehook from the old Fusion comic book. Gonna use the Kaminoans from AOTC -- love the look of them.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

I have used...

Vagr (Traveller) - Make great pirates, fit into Trek perfectly. (Bet they'd fit into Star Wars as well). Basically they are "uplifted" from Terran wolves and have no level of government higher than a pack.

Daleks - A visit to the planet Skaro in the aftermath of a great war between the Dals and the Thals (used Hartnell's Dalek's)

Ul-Mor (Star Frontiers) - A race of telepathic, desert-dwelling octupi. I plopped them on a world which they were being forced to share with Vulcanoids from Vulcans colonizing period.

Yazirians (Star Frontiers) - Monkey-men with wing-like membrane between their arms and legs allowing them to glide.

Though I didn't use them in Trek, the Desert Runners of TSR's old Buck Rogers XXVc RPG worked well in my Star Wars game.
    AKA Breschau of Livonia (mainly rpg forums)
    Gaming blog 19thlevel

Originally posted by Dan Stack
    I have used...

Daleks - A visit to the planet Skaro in the aftermath of a great war between the Dals and the Thals (used Hartnell's Dalek's)

I'd thought about this as well, but then I decided to stay away from the more 'obvious' Doctor Who critters, mostly because in my local sci fi fan group, I'm sort of known as the Who guru, and run a monthly Doctor Who night at my place. I was afraid people would find it a bit predictable for me to use Daleks!

I am considering, however, using some less obvious Who races as encounters for my crew. I'm particularly drawn to the Draconians, with their slightly Oriental society of honour and martial rituals. They were one of the few creatures in the Pertwee era that really looked great. If i were to ever do an alternate Earth thing (which is highly unlikely), I would use the Silurians and Sea Devils. I also thought I might use the Movellans at some point, just so I could have my crew fight an army of Rick James supafreaks. Well, okay, maybe not!

But the Cybermen would be fun, and would be an interesting alternative to the Borg. The cool thing about the original Cyberman concept is that they weren't really bad guys ... they were a threat, because of the measures they were taking to keep their planet alive, but they weren't necessarily bad. That's what I loved so much about the Vidiians. They were motivated and desperate, and definitely a threat, but not evil. Plus they were creepy as all get-out. I loved that scene where the Vidiian doctor comes in to see Torres, and he's wearing the dead security guy's face...

Alan

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

"In the end, they were stopped by biochemical means. Basicly sprayed the planets with bug-birthcontrol substance."

Ah, yes, genocide. Very Starfleet.

This message has been removed on request by the
    poster

Some Lovecraftian "races" may make an appearance, if I decide to use an arc I have in mind.

And I plan to use The Masters (Skloodzoi) from the John Christopher books (The White Mountains, The City of Gold and Lead, The Pool of Fire) -- with some tweaks and updates: my version never crossed space, because they are terrified of leaving the ground. Instead, they developed a sort of long range transporter that operates on a different principle from the Federation (and known species) devices. And, of course, they have their mind control technology and their peculiar shape, physiological requirements, and travel machines.

Normally as far as ripping off somebody elses scifi work, what I do is take two (or more) ideas from other geneirs (sp?) and combine them...examples the base concept of Niechiens from Andromanda, add some governmental and cultural elements from the Battletech Clans, throw in a dash of mirror universe escapies and I have a new protagonist. Another one I use, the little 'Worm Guys' from MIB (the first movie only), bits of Hynirian from Farscape, and a little bit of Dark Sider from Andromada - basic end result little, curious, untrustworthy, no social taboos type aliens that have a nack for engineering and getting into trouble...generally pains in the back side, but no real threat. One other alien I took the little information I could find on the computer game ST: Invasion's species Kam'Jehtae, then fleshed them out with a watered down version of the Shadows for B5.

Yes I'm an unbiased theif but I work at it.
    Phoenix...

but maybe we should just remove all the safety lables and let nature take it's course"

What the heckie...

DELVIANS
    Personality: Spiritual and pacifistic.

Physical Description: Blue-skinned humanoids, usually hairless, but occasionally sporting white, thick hair. They are actually plant-forms, with no bones or cartilaginous structures. They are peaceful, save for when they are deprived of food, then they begin to bud, releasing spores that cause allergic reactions in most mammals. After several days of starvation, the Delvian loses all conscious thought, becoming paranoid and aggressive until they eat meat product.

Homeworld: Delvia

Language: Delvian

Favored Profession: Mystic, Scientist

Species Adjustments: +2 Int, +1 Vit

Species Abilities:
    Psionic (gain psionic rating at 4)
    Self-Control: Delvians are taught strict self-control methods. They get a +2 to willpower.
    Bonus Flaw: Low Energy Level, Peaceful, and low pain tolerance
    Camouflage: Delvians can change their skin coloration. +4 to stealth/hide
    Hunger Sickness: Sporing acts like somnocine (see NG). Delvian loses 1 Int / day after 6 days without sustenance; at 1 they become carnivorous and will attack any kind of meat.

Vorcarians
    Personality: Pack-oriented, pragmatic, suspicious, loyal

Physical Description: Humanoid; hairy, with heavy brow ridge, pronounced canine teeth.

Homeworld: Naro (after the god of the hunt)

Culture: Pack-based culture, with hierarchies based on strength. Bravery and strength are prized above all else.

Language: Vorcarian

Favored Profession: Soldier, Rogue

Species Adjustment: Aglity +1, Strength +1, Intellect -1

Species Abilities: Brave: +1 courage point
    Bonus Trait: Night Vision
    Bonus Trait: Excellent Smell, Hearing
    Bonus Skill: Athletics (Run) 1

SHEYANG
    Personality: Proud, Acquisitive, Blunt

Physical Description: Rotund, squat humanoids with reptilian skin; they are amphibians. They have a kalak gland just above the stomach that combines enzymes and chemicals from their food to produce a thick bile that is flammable on contact with air. They eat...a lot and after meals get very lethargic.

Homeworld: Yangli

Culture: A proud, acquisitive race that were wrenched out of the early industrial era by the crash landing of a Tauma spacecraft. A technological and weapons race ensued and the Sheyang have advance to early stellar levels of technology.

Language: Sheyang, Kolari, Taumat

Favored Profession: Rogue

Species Adjustment: +1 Str, +1 Vit, -1 Int, -1 Prs

Species Adjustment:
    Darkvision – Ignore night modifiers, but they are monochromatic
    Fire Breath – 3d6+12 damage. Used 1/5 minutes*
    Bonus Trait: Great Vitality +4 stamina
    * If injured while preparing a kalak attack, stamina save vs. TN10 or explode with 6d6 damage to all within 3 meters.
    "War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stuart Mill

Ahhh Arrrrgh it's Greek...need translation...

From what I know in CODA it looks good (yes I still use LUG) qerlin.

Unrelated question your name...pronounced KAER-lyn?
    Phoenix...

Originally posted by StyroFoam Man
    NO!

It was a means to slow down thier reproduction, not stop it!

Though a couple of players wanted to set off Nova Bombs.... Untill I reminded them Trek doesn't HAVE Nova Bombs!
    Unfortunatly the genocide still stands. Slowing reproduction via birth control is OK with voluntary systems (such as the Pill, Condom, etc)... But a chemical form of Birth control would have to have either a random element (ie stops reproduction 9 times out of 10) that would make it pretty much non-existant (as in, the random element, while being beyond our current science# could easily fail to implement any noticable change), or would sterilise the population, thus killing off the species after the current generation... Possibly you failed to explain your plan well enough...

All this aside, have you thought about using a J-Park plot element and bringing the bugs back on the Chaos Theory 'Life will find a way' clause?

# = I said our science, not treks, while the only 'random element' escience seen so far was proto-matter, and the effect of that would also match the genocide comment from our viewing experience with Genocide... I am not saying it doesn't exist at all, simply that its never seen...
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

I can't say that I really use any other aliens from other series. I mostly either use what is there or I make my own. This is a longer process but I feel it is worth it after I have finished.

Originally posted by Phoenix
    Unrelated question your name...pronounced KAER-lyn?
    yup. name of an old character

John Stuart Mill