Thread: On GM Retirement and metagaming. . .

On GM Retirement and metagaming. . .

Yep, I'm packing it in. This Sunday is my final session, not just with my Star Trek TOS campaign, but as GM in general.

I'm not doing it out of frustration with players or anything. Quite the contrary, my players are among the best a GM could ever hope for.

But I've been at this for 20 years now, and I'm out of fresh ideas. IMO, it's always best to quit while you're ahead.

I built my worlds and I'm content with how they all turned out.

One thing I've learned from the experience though--that I want to share with all GMs: All well-crafted RPG campaigns generally fall somewhere along the spectrum of character vs. environment. The GM's preferences and the game mechanics can contribute to this balance greatly.

A. "Environment over Character"

The PCs are tossed into a lake and challenged to sink or swim. This is a level of genre "realism" to the point where the PC's mortality risk is proportional to that faced in real life. . .or worse. This is usually where you find most one-shot or "hack & slash" campaigns. This also includes military sims and horror RPGs.

I've run this sort of campaign lots of times. From a GM's POV, a PC's death isn't an issue of concern, since it won't disrupt the goal of the game. From the player's POV, they're not likely to get attached to their character or have any desire to develop it further than key stats or a thumbnail archetype.

As a GM, I personally felt comfortable with this style of gaming--because I could blame everything on the dice and/or game mechanics.

But I got bored quickly, because my potential for interesting storylines and backstory development were severely limited. For obvious reasons, this style also tends to limit player immersion.

B. "Character over Environment"

Favors drama and character development. The PCs, ". . .are destined to save the world." This is your typical storytelling game.

Here, the risk of death takes a backseat to story and character development. If the player is running their character within reason, then character death is only necessary if and when it has a lasting dramatic impact.

I've been running this sort of campaign a lot recently. From a GM's POV, it's a real challenge to present a risk/danger that the player finds believable, but at the same time still hides some loophole/escape to extend the GM's character-centered genre.

Quite a bit of narrative license comes into play here, reflecting many popular TV Tropes.* From the player's POV, they're likely to get attached to their character, which encourages immersion and development. This in turn can create more interesting plot developments for upcoming sessions.

As a GM, I loved watching how it all played out. The problem is that I was in danger of becoming too attached to the PCs. If I wasn't careful, I'd end up nerfing the players into my pet "nannyfic," where the threats and the dice really weren't fooling anyone. I had to inject some genuine risk to life and limb, then sit back and bite my fingernails like an audience; wondering if the PCs would make it through.

Looking back, I can honestly say that I tried my best to balance "A" and "B" in a believable manner. Both are necessary to make an RPG campaign a success and fun for all.

-PJ

*Which are never a bad thing.
    Last edited by Cdre Bob Wesley; 08-11-2011 at 02:36 PM.
    "These are the voyages of the starship Bretagne. Its standing orders: To maintain off-world peace; to expand science and test out new innovations; to boldly go where all men have gone before."

Congratulations on your retirement. Maybe a few years off will refresh you and the itch will strike again... So never say never

Yeah...Dr. McCoy retired too. Several times!

So don't get comfy!

Hope to see you back in the center seat soon.
    Crimson Hand Gamers...why have your own site when there's Facebook?

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
    Sounds like you've run a great game, and given your players an experience they'll remember, fondly, for a long time.

20 years is a long time as a GM !

Our game is way more Type B, than Type A.

I tend to get very invested in my characters.

But, I feel like I would have enjoyed gaming at your table. And I've always loved reading your posts. I hope you will continue to visit the board in your retirement.

Congratulations on a LONG run! I take it you will still be playing, however?
    Check out www.AllScaleTrek.com. A new forum dedicated to Star Trek kits, miniatures and collectables.

There's Klingons on the starboard bow!

Fool me once, shame on you! Fool me TWICE? INCOMING!

Quote Originally Posted by Fugazi Grrl View Post
    Sounds like you've run a great game, and given your players an experience they'll remember, fondly, for a long time.
    Tonight was. . .epic. I know that word gets thrown around too much nowadays, but this final session qualified. Perfect ending. Very surprising and very moving. I can only count on one hand the games that got to this level of whatever-you-call the GM's goal in life. This was it.

20 years is a long time as a GM !
    Yep, it all started with D&D 2nd ed. and Palladium's Robotech. I learned so much over the years. My best advice came from Andrew Rilstone and Interactive Fantasy.

http://rpggeek.com/rpgperiodical/896...ole-playing-an

I love game analysis and discussing metagame topics, no matter the genre or system.

Our game is way more Type B, than Type A.

I tend to get very invested in my characters.
    Same here. This was the first campaign where every player at the table got personally attached to the NPCs. Guess Star Trek just does that to a person.

I just got back from a convention where we played Dread. It was type A, but the mechanics sort of forced a lot of personal involvement very quickly. While it's a clever and well-crafted system, it's not my aesthetic cup of tea.

But, I feel like I would have enjoyed gaming at your table. And I've always loved reading your posts. I hope you will continue to visit the board in your retirement.
    Oh thanks. I'll still be around.

Quote Originally Posted by trynda1701 View Post
    Congratulations on a LONG run! I take it you will still be playing, however?
    Yes. My friend Matt (the one who did all the visuals) is taking the reigns and is going to run Coda LOTR. He's a huge Tolkien fan and the only one know personally to do it up right.
    "These are the voyages of the starship Bretagne. Its standing orders: To maintain off-world peace; to expand science and test out new innovations; to boldly go where all men have gone before."

I can't say I've been GMing as long as you, however as I went from serious player to GM in 2005,in which I ran an eberron game that lasted 4 years. But as time has gone on I have slowly lost my taste for running games. I am starting a new coda star trek game on Sunday, I don't want it to fall apart after a few months, due to my own lack of interest. If you have any tips on how to help keep my games going longer I would appreciate it.
    Commander William T. Riker: My great-grandfather once got bit by a rattlesnake. After three days of intense pain... the snake died.