Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PCs that are TOO GOOD!

The system doesn't really make sense without them.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by PGoodman13 View Post
    Okay, I need to read through this whole thing a little more, but you are using the plethora of situational modifiers in the system, right?
    Pretty much everything you see collects the various situational modifiers. I simply listed most that would be available (to make it easy to figure on the fly during play). For example, I listed the various affinities, even though the PC doing these Medical tests didn't have all of them. And the +5 TN for distractions (for the zombies) was dealt with early on, so hardly figured in most of the tests (the crew cleared the Sickbay area of the 'zombies' first and then cleverly used gas to take care of the remainder).

I just tried to put eveyrthing in one place, rather than having to flip through books during play.

In actual play, the PC made a lot of good rolls over an extended time. One of them was even a combined test with another PC. All told the Doctor diagnosed the disease, did experimentation and tests, and synthesized an antidote in under 14 hours (a number of the tests he did as complete successes, cutting the base time in half).
    Doug Taylor
    Member of Decipher's Hall of Fame
    Currently running The One Ring RPG. I also occasionally run Villains & Vigilantes (our campaign is in year 25) and WEG d6 Star Wars (both games are mostly on hiatus) and an annual game based on The X-Files (using Conspiracy X).

Note that in my disease write-ups the word "Extraordinary" should be changed to "Superior". I keep forgetting that Trek does it a little differently than Lord of the Rings.
    Doug Taylor
    Currently running The One Ring RPG. I also occasionally run Villains & Vigilantes (our campaign is in year 25) and WEG d6 Star Wars (both games are mostly on hiatus) and an annual game based on The X-Files (using Conspiracy X).

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Taylor View Post
    Note that in my disease write-ups the word "Extraordinary" should be changed to "Superior". I keep forgetting that Trek does it a little differently than Lord of the Rings.
    Upon getting home and re-checking my book, I see that Trek does indeed have "extraordinary". They don't have "superior" (like LotR) and extraordinary occurs with 10+ over the TN (as opposed to 11, as LotR does). Whew, I think I've got it straight now.
    Doug Taylor

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
    Doug, what a wonderful write-up ! I love it. With your permission this disease might manage to pester one of our ships.

Quote Originally Posted by Fugazi Grrl View Post
    Doug, what a wonderful write-up ! I love it. With your permission this disease might manage to pester one of our ships.
    Absolutely! Have at it!
    Doug Taylor

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Taylor View Post
    Upon getting home and re-checking my book, I see that Trek does indeed have "extraordinary". They don't have "superior" (like LotR) and extraordinary occurs with 10+ over the TN (as opposed to 11, as LotR does). Whew, I think I've got it straight now.
    Check page 81 of the Narrator's Guide (Table 6.12). It has Complete at +1, Superior at +6 and Extraordinary at +11. I think that's supposed to supersede the PG.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Tyger View Post
    Check page 81 of the Narrator's Guide (Table 6.12). It has Complete at +1, Superior at +6 and Extraordinary at +11. I think that's supposed to supersede the PG.

Thanks, Davy. I saw that over on the other thread being discussed (and I never realized that there was a different chart in the NG and the PG). Glad to know that the one I have been using (which matches with LotR) is the correct one after all.

BTW, I've loved the writeups of your adventures that Patrick linked to before (the adventures of the U.S.S. Drake on the Real Roleplaying Forums); great stories and you did an excellent job!
    Doug Taylor

Salinas, Calif., USA (a Chiefs fan in an unholy land)
    Doug, thanks for the praise. It's been fun putting adventures together; the writing credit, though, has to be shared with my very excellent players.
    Davy Jones

"Frightened? My dear, you are looking at a man who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe! I was petrified."
    -- The Wizard of Oz