Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to CODA and ST:RPG

Quote Originally Posted by iltharanos View Post
    The ship would lose structure when it travels those speeds.
    That could provide some great role-playing moments, as the entire Bridge shakes dramatically. At the same time the Engineer frantically calls over the intercom to the Captain, saying "I've given her all she's got, Cap'n... if we go any faster the ship will tear herself apart!"
    Doug Taylor
    Member of Decipher's Hall of Fame
    Currently running The One Ring RPG. I also occasionally run Villains & Vigilantes (our campaign is in year 25) and WEG d6 Star Wars (both games are mostly on hiatus) and an annual game based on The X-Files (using Conspiracy X).

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Taylor View Post
    That could provide some great role-playing moments, as the entire Bridge shakes dramatically. At the same time the Engineer frantically calls over the intercom to the Captain, saying "I've given her all she's got, Cap'n... if we go any faster the ship will tear herself apart!"
    Especially when i dont tell them that its a flaw, and they frantically trying to figure out whats causing it and in the middle of combat no less...then finding out who built the thing and getting some answers...only to find the designer of the prototype engine was really a romulan spy!

Ok, my imagination went a little crazy for a second, need to check the EPS systems again

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
    Quote Originally Posted by K.G. Carlson View Post
    I've found it best that you have warp factors move at the speed of plot. You can use the chart for small scale estimates, but when you factor in the chart vs the amount of territory the ships seem to cover in an episode, your head is likely to explode.
    We tend to move everything at the Speed of Plot - even combat. I mean, Star Trek, where an Eymorg can toss Captain Kirk all over the room, and then Jim drops him with one kick ?

A very cinematic show deserves a very cinematic game. And CODA plays into that need quite well.

Totally right Fugazi Grrl, although I wish the chart was a little more useful for plotting.

It looks almost identical to the speed chart from the Star Trek Encyclopedia, which I still firmly believe was only created with its speed benchmarks to support the life-long return trip for Voyager.

Because, you know that a 23rd century starship went from the Alpha Quadrant main powers to the center of the galaxy in about 10 minutes
    Crimson Hand Gamers...why have your own site when there's Facebook?

I've always included the "chi factor" into the calculations.

Basically what I've done is convert the Star Trek Star Charts into Campaign Cartographer 3, so that I can quickly get the exact distance over whatever route the players want to take. I then plug that into a spreadsheet I have, which also takes into account the "chi factor" (which is basically a plot device to speed up or slow down the ship ).

This then gives me the time at each warp factor (plus, me being anally retentive, it also tells me how much antimatter fuel is expended, and calculates the start and end stardates for a particular trip)
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...

Dang, all this talk makes me wish I had time for a CODA trek game!

Anyone interested in running a game in Durham, NC??

Quote Originally Posted by K.G. Carlson View Post
    Because, you know that a 23rd century starship went from the Alpha Quadrant main powers to the center of the galaxy in about 10 minutes
    I also think that by the end of Voyager they were pretty close to home. Almost in the Romulan's backyard. Old Janeway claimed to have become involved in some kind of fude with the FenDomar. I think they're located on the "far end" of Romulan space in the Beta Quadrant.

So, the 75 years of Voyager's journey was more like 15-20 years.

Which makes more sense based on the speed of a Constitution class, or especially a ship like the Galaxy class.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldaron View Post
    Basically what I've done is convert the Star Trek Star Charts into Campaign Cartographer 3...
    I envy your access to that software, sir !

I've looked into Campaign Cartographer and also Fractal Mapper and if they weren't both so far over my head price-wise I'd be running them on my machine. And that sounds like a terrific idea to use the Star charts book in tandem with the program.

We use Star Charts pretty extensively. Especially their grid system for designating the "name" of a sector (actually a number code). The three or four systems we've done have those co-ordinates from Star Charts.

I found something else a little unusual, the degrees of success charts in the players guide and narrators guide are differant, which one is the correct table or are they both wrong?

I think the Narrator's Guide and GM Screen match up, so I use those as the correct difficulty chart.
    Crimson Hand Gamers...why have your own site when there's Facebook?

Yes, the Narrator's Guide has the correct DOS chart.

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
    Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦○○] Dmg 9/11 | Edge 8 | Injury 16/18
    Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane, Foe-slaying
    Shadow bane, Skirmisher

We use the chart in the NG, and the Narrator's Screen too.