Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Branches and Rank

Worf was pretty much your all round guy for 1st season TNG + backup security chief

------------------
    SIR SIG a Aussie TREK Narrator

Good point...
    So it seems tactical isnt a branch on its own but people from Security or Command branch man the tactical stations, in the Borg episode with Lore we also saw a medical officer man the tactical staion (though that episode isnt representative at all... medic officers seemed to be all that were left on the Enterprise)?
    Security and Command branch have tactical training so they are the ones fitting most into that place.

Ops is a duty station on the bridge but Ops officers wear gold uniforms as do all the engineering and security officers.

[/B]
    Which TNG character went to Operations School?

Is Data the _only_ operations branch officer on the Enterprise?

The only other named character ever selected for the operation station on the bridge was a security officer... Sito Jaxa.

Do you mean that with all the "operations" branch officers on the Enterprise, the best qualified officer for the position was a Security Ensign? Or could it be that everybody who sits at that console belongs to Engineering or Security?

By canon the _only_ person we've _ever_ seen to be picked for that post was from Security. Does that mean, by canon, that all personnel who man the operations station are Security?

Operations is a division on a ship or station. It consists of the Engineering and Security departments. They wear yellow uniforms.

Science is a division. It consists of the Sciences and Medical Departments. They wear blue uniforms.

Command is a divison. It consists of one department, Command. They wear red uniforms.

The uniform color indicates their division, not their branch.

Geordi

The operations template doesn't do anything that another branch template doesn't do better. The operations station on the bridge doesn't do anything that an experienced officer with Tactical or Engineering training couldn't do.

------------------
    "I'd rather die standing than live on my knees..."
    Shania Twain

[This message has been edited by calguard66 (edited 12-14-2000).]

[This message has been edited by calguard66 (edited 12-14-2000).]

My other "beef" with the LUG Trek branches is the Security/ Tactical issue. It is a waste of resources to train an brand new officer in ship weapons and tactics, when it will be years before he stands a bridge watch, if ever... meanwhile those skills are degrading while he stands guard duty.

A far better (and more realistic) system would be to select certain Security officers with leadership potential to recieve additional training... actually, the most realistic would be for Tactical to be a separate branch from Security. The skills used by the two types of operations are mutually exclusive.

Command also shouldn't be an initial entry branch... but even I have to admit that this one is way too embedded to fix.

------------------
    Shania Twain

This may sound nieve (sp?)
    But whats the difference between Security and Tactical, one secures the ship and the other fires the weapons.
    Tactical as i'm aware is a bridge position.
    Maybe your right that tactical or reserve tac as such is a command branch position. While chief Tactical is a given for Chief Security and thus Gold.
    ???

------------------
    SIR SIG a Aussie TREK Narrator

Originally posted by SIR SIG:
    This may sound nieve (sp?)
    But whats the difference between Security and Tactical, one secures the ship and the other fires the weapons.

The mission sounds similar... one protects from external threats, the other from internal. However, the actual skills required are quite different.

Personal weapons training, self-defense techniques, small unit tactics, law enforcement operations, small arms maintinance and repair, prisoner custody/ brig operations, VIP protection, etc would be the job of "Security" personnel. They would provide physical security to away missions, guard facilities, arrest violators, operate the brig or other holding facilities, etc.

Shipboard weapons operation and maintinance, ship tactics, sensor operations and communications operations would be the realm of Tactical or Weapons personnel. Manning phaser banks, torpedo tubes and shield grids and maintaining the same.

The two jobs don't overlap... each has a unique set of skills... expecting the same person to master both sets is a waste of time, they are either using one or the other at any given time. Sure it would be possible to assign Ensign Snuffy to torpedo bay 3 on one shift and to security patrol the other, but why would you? Might as well assign a Medic to the sickbay one day and shuttle repair the next.

------------------
    Shania Twain

Never mind, that's what I get for posting as I read rather than finishing the thread.
    ------------------
    Deo Vindice!

[This message has been edited by darkwing duck1 (edited 12-16-2000).]