Thread: Navigation?

Navigation?

Is there a skill already in the game that people use for Navigation rolls, either by map or stars at sea or on land?
    -Agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

-If you really think that your choice of game makes you better than someone who plays a different game, you are an idiot who has no further right to express an opinion.

I would use a combination of Lore, Insight, and Survival.

Lore for knowing the land and understanding maps; Insight to judge whether the PC is on the right path along with Survival to keep to it.

Narrator: Darkening of Mirkwood | Chronicle of the North | Tempest Rising | To Boldly Go | Welcome to the 501st!
    Esgalwen [♦♦♦♦○○] Dmg 9/11 | Edge 8 | Injury 16/18
    Nimronyn [Sindarin Pale gleam] superior keen, superior grievous longsword - orc bane, Foe-slaying
    Shadow bane, Skirmisher

Finding your way around this rock you're on: Survival.

Finding your way to the next country (and knowing what it's called): Lore.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
    I looked and was surprised that there was no Order Ability for Navigating in the Mariner Order.

A skill specialty like Lore (Map Reading) could be appropriate. But, I really think for Mariners an Order Ability is in order. Something to the effect of.

Navigator: You know the seas, and coastlines of Middle-Earth, and have studied not only the charts but the stars themselves. A Mariner with this ability gains a +4 bonus to all attempts to navigate a ship using any Lore or Survival skill with the appropriate specialty.

I finally decided to add a specialty to Sea Craft called Navigation, and use Survival for land navigation. I like the suggested order ability too.
    -Agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

-If you really think that your choice of game makes you better than someone who plays a different game, you are an idiot who has no further right to express an opinion.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
    I like the specialty, since it can apply to anyone who knows how to navigate a boat or a ship. Aragorn, for example, knew how to navigate Anduin but wasn't a mariner.

And Anduin is a powerful enough river it might need some navigation to keep a small Elvish boat going in the right direction.