Thread: System Operation

System Operation

Has anybody ever defined and listed the various specialties for System Operation?

I've tried (and I easily could have missed some), and here's what I've come up with, from the PG, NG, and SOM books:

Beam Weapons, Cloaking Device, Command, Communications, Deflector, Environmental Control, Flight Control, Holosystems, Life Support, Medical, Mission Ops, Operations Management, Security Systems, Sensors, Tactical, Transporter

If you know of any others, please let me know!
    Doug Taylor
    Member of Decipher's Hall of Fame
    Currently running The One Ring RPG. I also occasionally run Villains & Vigilantes (our campaign is in year 25) and WEG d6 Star Wars (both games are mostly on hiatus) and an annual game based on The X-Files (using Conspiracy X).

I just noticed in the SOM that they refer to System Operation (Weapons), so I think I'm going to amend "Beam Weapons" and just make one called simply "Weapons".

Edit: I see now upon re-reading it that Beam Weapons are mostly for non-Starfleet ships (and things like Disruptors), so I guess I'll leave it as one of the possibilities.
    Last edited by Doug Taylor; 09-05-2011 at 07:43 PM.
    Doug Taylor
    Currently running The One Ring RPG. I also occasionally run Villains & Vigilantes (our campaign is in year 25) and WEG d6 Star Wars (both games are mostly on hiatus) and an annual game based on The X-Files (using Conspiracy X).

I guess technically Shields is another one. On p. 25 of the SOM it defines the difference between Deflector (which covers both the tactical and navigational deflector) and Shields (which covers only the tactical deflector).

Seems kind of redundant to have two specialties, when one of the two covers both.
    Doug Taylor

Arrow

In fact I listed them from the various NPC descriptions, and the only ones I find missing from your list are;

Computer Systems, Engineering, Helm, Navigation, Replicator.

Now you've got them all covered, I think.

You missed Waste Extraction.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Quote Originally Posted by Calastir View Post
    In fact I listed them from the various NPC descriptions, and the only ones I find missing from your list are;

Computer Systems, Engineering, Helm, Navigation, Replicator.

Now you've got them all covered, I think.

Thanks, Calastir. I'd added back in Helm and Navigation, but I missed those others.

I assume TK is kidding.
    Doug Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Taylor View Post
    I assume TK is kidding.
    I don't think so. It is canon, so I've added it to my specialization list:
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Waste_extraction_system
    Besides; it might not be the most glorious of jobs, but imagine the havoc that a malfunctioning Waste Extraction system could cause on a thousand crewmember starship! (-or rather don't-)

I don't think so. It is canon, so I've added it to my specialization list:
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Waste_extraction_system
    Besides; it might not be the most glorious of jobs, but imagine the havoc that a malfunctioning Waste Extraction system could cause on a thousand crewmember starship! (-or rather don't-)
    Ick! I was hopeful that Environmental Control or Life Support would cover that. After all, we didn't even know where the toilets were on the original Enterprise until the first Technical Manual came out.

And you know, back on your original list (after I've gotten a chance to think about it), what would be the difference between System Operation (Computer Systems) and Computer Use? In other words, I'm thinking Computer Use would be the skill used for all computer related functions.
    Doug Taylor

Arrow

I don't know the difference, but I got the System Operation (Computer Systems) specialization from the description of Subcommander T'Pol from Page 27 of the Unreleased Enterprise Sourcebook by Don Mappin:
    http://strpg.patrickgoodman.org/docu...sourcebook.pdf

My guess is Computer Use is meant as a skill for any practical user, and System Operation (Computer Systems) is meant as a skill for network management.
    Last edited by Calastir; 09-06-2011 at 11:47 AM.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
    We also use station, or department-specific Systems Ops specialties.

Thus our CO has Systems Operations (Command), used to perform command-specific functions like overriding security protocols and initiating a self-destruct. I think among our character sheets we have Medical, Engineering, Security, and Operations also.

Operations being using the Ops console on the bridge, and not just general Systems Ops.

I don't know the difference, but I got the System Operation (Computer Systems) specialization from the description of Subcommander T'Pol from Page 27 of the Unreleased Enterprise Sourcebook by Don Mappin:
    http://strpg.patrickgoodman.org/docu...sourcebook.pdf

My guess is Computer Use is meant as a skill for any practical user, and System Operation (Computer Systems) is meant as a skill for network management.

That could be. Or it could be that - back in the Enterprise era - computers were different enough that it required two different skills.
    Doug Taylor