Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WIP New ICON fan sourcebook

Quote Originally Posted by Fugazi Grrl
    Which episode is that from ? I remember that log entry but I can't pin down, in my mind, which ep it was on !
    I used IMBD for the quotes; try there.

Quote Originally Posted by DG
    So the alternative of course would be a slightly more generic US style badge, or a modern sherrif star with the UFP seal embossed in it. Anyone up for mucking about with this?
    I like the idea of using the SFPD badge has a basis, we've seen it before within the continuity of Star Trek, and it is fairly plain, and thus easier to manipulate. Also, having lived in the region in the past, it is very common and simple within neighboring jurisdictions.
    East Palo Alto
    San Mateo
    Oakland

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Your wish is my command... An inverted San Francisco badge with UFP seal could fill the bill for Marshalls...

http://coldnorth.com/owen/images/MARSHALL.jpg

While for FIPA, a modification of the London badge...

http://coldnorth.com/owen/images/FIPA.jpg

The inversion makes it look like the Commonwealth star, and looks odd to this Yankee in the Law Enforcement realm, even though the Australian Federal Police use it with some embellishments. Of course there is the standard Marshal Badge of Old West fame and its Modern incarnation, that can be used for these Federation Marshals.

DeviantArt Slacker MAL Support US Servicemembers
    "The Federation needs men like you, doctor. Men of conscience. Men of principle. Men who can sleep at night... You're also the reason Section Thirty-one exists -- someone has to protect men like you from a universe that doesn't share your sense of right and wrong." Sloan, Section Thirty-One

Quote Originally Posted by Aldaron View Post
    I remember in Justice (which I have yet to succeed in wiping from my mind ) that Picard implied that Federation science was capable of "detecting the seeds" of violent criminality. I'm not sure how this would work - the sinister side would be some kind of brain scan. The not-so-sinister side would be that people involved with children (teachers, etc) might be well-trained in detecting anti-social or violent tendencies, for which treatment could be sought (and which would hopefully be more efficacious than our current treatments).
    Well, we've gotten a fairly good idea of what causes violent criminality in our day—past abuses, chronic stress, a sense of social derealization—and we have examples of highly pacifistic, almost violence-free societies in our own world. The problem currently is that the 'treatment' would consist of things like public health care, a living wage, wholesale abandonment of the suburban plan of city development, et cetera.

The Federation does use neurological scanners in the diagnosis of mental disorders, too, however.

Either way, I'm not sure how this bears out in practice, since we have at least three examples of serial killers (or other violent murderers) not only in the Federation, but in Starfleet*, which you would think would be pretty picky when it comes to psychological profiling.

Chu'lak, Field of Fire (DS9, Season 7)
    Lon Suder, Meld (VOY, Season 2) - although Suder was actually never officially in Starfleet, having come to Voyager via the Maquis.
    Walter Pierce, Eye of the Beholder (TNG, Season 7) - not a serial killer, but a murder/suicide perpetrator; pretty violent, IMO!
    The cause of a murder/suicide is significantly different from the triggering factors (or extreme developmental alienation) for a serial killer. Frankly, crimes of passion like that are unlikely to be eliminated entirely. Chu'lak is a weird case, in that the murders seem to have little to no sexual element. He may have been a spree killer, rather than a serial killer. Vulcans, however, are noted for the murderous rage boiling underneath their calm exteriors—their psychology might have more numerous triggers for this kind of violent acting-out.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

*Moderating hat on*
    A post in this thread has been reported as political, while a panel of moderators have decided that the coment in question is borderline at best, but was made in context and as a result will NOT be moderated, but just to clarify, please can we try to make sure that anything resembling a discussion of Law Enforcement remain bound in the fictional Star Trek unverse.

While my opening statement advised that this thread was likely to border political allegory, it should be in context of the Star Trek universe. Citing canon events, extrapolting from on-screen evidence is fine, but we need to refrain from comment of modern policing/politics (unless supported by canon evidence)).
    Last edited by Dan Gurden; 10-10-2011 at 05:06 AM.
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

OK, lets get back into discussion mode.

The Abrhams Trek (for all its divided opinion) does also give us another Trek Cop. In the early scenes when young Kirk is pulled over, we are clearly shown a Robotic cop, (setting aside the tech discrepancies of the period), what is the concencus here is this an Android or a humanoid remote control unit operated by a law officer in a central hub?

(the latter is a possible interpretation based on the reactions in TOS the few times they came across Androids, which implies that they are less common.)

In short are we talking an artifical/limited species or technology...
    DanG/Darth Gurden

Production material seems to indicate that the mask was actually a post-production decision on the part of the director, instead of him being some robo...cop.
    Portfolio | Blog Currently Running: Call of Cthulhu, Star Trek GUMSHOE Currently Playing: DramaSystem, Swords & Wizardry

Was the cop meant to be robotic? Wow...I never got that . Honestly, it never occurred to me - I thought it was a guy wearing some armour and a helmet (presumably with optics/HUD, etc).
    When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for others.

It's the same when you are stupid...

Oh bum. thats a can of worms.

Looking at the mask it doesn't look like a mask to me, too many flat surfaces in the recess. So it doesn't surprise me that this was post-production and added digitally.

This also explains the odd combo of mask AND visor on the helmet.

If we are talking a mask over a robot that certainly makes my job a lot easier and as I am only doing this for fun I guess I will be nmore than happy to take the Homer Simpson approach and go with the easier of the options, and add the helmet into the technology section.
    DanG/Darth Gurden

What I don't understand is why they don't have automatic security probes doing this—or some sort of emergency force field for the rift.

Hell, we don't even know what the laws regarding allowing children access to dangerous equipment are. We don't see a whole lot of private automobile transport in [i]Trek[/] (non-transporter methods appear to be mostly trains, at least in Paris and SF). Driving an automobile is certainly an antiquated skill set (cf. APOTA). We never find out what the car runs on—is it a synthetic compound? Actual fossil fuels? The'd surely a rare antique substance at this point, unless the Klingons are exporting it from somewhere (Vulcan and Andoria don't seem like they'd have enough prehistoric swamps to make it!). Could Kirk's joyride have burned up a valuable find from the Smithsonian Institute of Ancient Technology? Or was the car converted to run on a modern power source—in which case, why didn't the cop just zap the engine with a phaser?

Although that's nothing compared to the real twist in that scene: the existence of the Beastie Boys in this timeline is probably the biggest metafictional loop in Trek yet.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tatterdemalion King View Post
    Although that's nothing compared to the real twist in that scene: the existence of the Beastie Boys in this timeline is probably the biggest metafictional loop in Trek yet.
    I was more worried about the Nokia link... <<OFF_TOPIC!!!>>
    DanG/Darth Gurden

OK. Nearly done. Will upload it to a new thread and pass it to Owen for his site once done.

Not much point asking for proof readers, I have a suspicion that the same people who are hanging out these parts and would be available would be the most likely readers of the finished product...
    DanG/Darth Gurden