Thread: @Dan Gurden

@Dan Gurden

Hey Dan,

When you ran your game on the Venture did you find any difficulty in using the galaxy class and it's huge crew? A friend wants to try either galaxy or maybe the nebula and was wondering your thoughts seeing as you've run a game with one. You never see more the main cast for the most part in alot of NG episodes so it should be ok in an rpg as well.
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

- Carl Zwanzig

Quote Originally Posted by IceGiant View Post
    Hey Dan,

When you ran your game on the Venture did you find any difficulty in using the galaxy class and it's huge crew? A friend wants to try either galaxy or maybe the nebula and was wondering your thoughts seeing as you've run a game with one. You never see more the main cast for the most part in alot of NG episodes so it should be ok in an rpg as well.
    Not directed at me, but I ran a five-year campaign aboard a Galaxy-class Lexington, without any issues.

For me it was no different than any other class of ship I've used as a setting.

To be honest the size of the ship and crew wasn't a huge issue... I think that I made a mistake in translating that large crew compliment into a arge group of players which didn't work as well in a PBEM setting. Ideally a player grpoup of 4-5 people would have been best.

The Large compliments of the Galaxy (and its like) allows for a goodly amount of NPC's around and lots of supporting tech (ie a science lab for everything) which can make things seem easy but does allow you to justify your crew being assigned to almost any situation due to the multi-role functions of the ships.

If you are worried about players being too reliant on the facilities and NPC's its easy to take them out of that comfort zone by dropping them on a shuttle while their ship goes off elsewhere...

Hope that helps.

(Ironically at the moment I am having the opposite problem, and have just 2 players for a potential game when I would like 4... )
    DanG/Darth Gurden
    The Voice of Reason and Sith Lord

“Putting the FUNK! back into Dysfunctional!”

Coming soon. The USS Ganymede NCC-80107
    "Ad astrae per scientia" (To the stars through knowledge)

Thank you both. I will give it a shot.

And Dan, I've never done a PBEM, but I'd like to give it a shot if that would be ok?
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

- Carl Zwanzig

Too bad it's PBeM, otherwise I'd want in
    我的氣墊船充滿了鱔魚!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gurden View Post
    (Ironically at the moment I am having the opposite problem, and have just 2 players for a potential game when I would like 4... )
    I'd be so game, but I have been accepted into a civil law program starting november. I migtht participate for four weeks, but what happens then is more than doubtful...in the game that is, not in the program. That's supposed to run for 24 months